U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I was a news-photographer for about 28 years.
I used beta/camera format to shoot/edit my videos.
Last 2 years, the station went to computer cameras.

We had a tutor for one week to show us the basics.
I never had training for computers in high school.
They didn't exist !

My shooting skills were no problem.
It was the transferring of the camera chip with the
video & narration to the computer back at the base.
That was a total nightmare.
I had the daily 5 o'clock news deadline to meet.

Some of the younger guys who had school training helped.
But they had to worry about their own stories to edit.
I mostly did basic editing with no special effects .

Two years ago I bought a computer after finally convincing
my wife that it would be useful at home.

It took a while to understand the language of computers.
It can be frustrating if I let it.
There has been long hours into the night that I stay up
until I figure out what mac is trying to tell me.
Being retired, I can afford to stay up late .
My wife says that I'm becoming a self taught geek...

BTW: The best part is not having to get up in the early cold
mornings to go to work. I can stay in my nice cozy bed .
And Sunday nights & Monday mornings feel different in a nice
way.
I'm sure some of you know this already !
Great poem, send it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,353,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'm not going to ask this on the tech forum: I strongly suspect the posters there never lived without a computer.

So did one of your kids/grandkids show you? Did you take classes someplace? Did it come naturally
or does your mind go into system overload when someone talks to you about cookies, applets, upgrades, and such?
I learned a UNIX computer and was on the "net" in 1980, before there really was such a thing. We had our first home computer in about 1982. I went on to become a computer software professional, so it's been in my blood since them.

Not a very typical story I guess, but then my husband, who is a physicist, was punching cards and running programs on computers back in the early 70's, and knows half a dozen programming languages.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,478,001 times
Mostly I learned by trial and error and taught myself. I did have to take some computer classes for jobs I had thru the years. However I only seemed to learn what I needed for the job. That was before I ever had a personal computer. I can't say computers have ever really interested me, perhaps because I saw how impersonal the world was getting with them. I don't know, I just never felt a big love for the things. I did understand though that to live in this world, we were all going to have to learn to use them in life. I did find I seemed to learn more, and was more comfortable teaching myself. Than I ever was in a computer class.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:45 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,531,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I learned a UNIX computer and was on the "net" in 1980, before there really was such a thing. We had our first home computer in about 1982. I went on to become a computer software professional, so it's been in my blood since them.

Not a very typical story I guess, but then my husband, who is a physicist, was punching cards and running programs on computers back in the early 70's, and knows half a dozen programming languages.
One of the quiet secrets of compuserve was it ran on unix. If you knew the right unix commands you could slip out of compuserve and run other things through unix. That was before the era of computer security.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,272,269 times
Back in the 1970s I did a little FORTRAN and COBOL on a then ultra modern IBM system 3 that actually filled a pretty good size room.

Also Went into RPG to help program the Machinery out in the shop. But never really got into computers until 1998.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,136,470 times
I don't remember exactly when. I used a computer at work more and more as the administration required. I think around 1998 I bought my first computer. In 2005 I got a laptop for my Christmas from my Daughter and her family. I got money for Christmas this year and just bought another laptop. I kinda love my laptop and the internet and all.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,170,610 times
For work: 70s - USAF in shop test stations checking computers and radars, etc., from F-111s and F15s, then for a company making 32bit mainframes used in a variety of applications, such as flight simulators. Got into medical with CT scanner maintenance, then MRI maintenance.

For Home:
VIC20 - Mass storage was a cassette tape!
IBM PCJr - After upgrading the memory on that, it actually had more than the CT scanners I was working on!
First laptop (I don't remember the name) had LCD display that used ambient light. You had to position the laptop to get the best contrast in order to read it.

Started out using and maintaining computers along with the associated equipment, but I have transgressed to just having a home PC as a tool or a toy only.

So many since then I can't remember them all! Looking back on it, I wish I had all the money I have spent over the years on computers and cell phones, although I probably would have done anything different if I could go back and start over.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:14 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,052,492 times
I sat down in front of it and pressed keys and buttons.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,639,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'm not going to ask this on the tech forum: I strongly suspect the posters there never lived without a computer.

So did one of your kids/grandkids show you? Did you take classes someplace? Did it come naturally
or does your mind go into system overload when someone talks to you about cookies, applets, upgrades, and such?
I started at work in 1977 by writing applications for the early Radio Shack TRS-80's. Owned my first microcomputer in 1980. I followed along from there through the decades, always staying current.

Prior to that, I used to write simple programs on the DEC PDP-8i in the computer lab during college in 1972-73. The old paper tape days.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
I operated a key punch machine in the army back in 1974. I took an ill-fated FORTRAN class in 1978 and I purchased my first computer, a TRS-80 from Radio Shack in 1985. (It set me back about $350 at the time).

I discovered the internet and the BBS system in 1990 and my first "512k dual floppy" laptop in 1993. The next milestone came when I purchased my first copy of Windows 3.1 in 1995. From then on out, it was uphill all the way. I pretty much taught myself everthing I know and it hasn't been easy keeping up. The biggest challenge was mastering UNIX commands to data mine databases back in 1994.

Keeping up is tough sometimes and it's been a long, bumpy ride, but I wouldn't trade it for the world! LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or