U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 PM

43 posts, read 47,042 times

Advertisements

Below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Your situation really does stink. Social Security is so understaffed and backed up you may not hear anything until you get nailed for a significant overpayment. Did you also submit an 820-BK for 2013?
I have not in fear I may not fill it out incorrectly and screw myself.

Did you earn greater than $720/mth in 2012? If so, for how many months?
Averaged... No. If counted in the month I received checks... Three months over $720. Now during my various chats with various SS folks... I heard "Worse case three months", & "You're fine" implying no-months.

If you did not earn $720/mth for 9 months in 2012, look at 2013. In 2013, the amount is increased to $750/mth. Start counting. (I am aware that those workers who are self employed cannot work more than 80/hrs month during a TWP - I am assuming this does not apply in your case.)
Correct

After 9 months of "service" you enter the Extended Period of Eligibility "EPE". Once in the EPE, you will be considered not disabled if you hit SGA in any one month. After your disability ceases, you will receive two more months of benefits. Unless you become unable to earn SGA after that, you will remain off the rolls. The problem, of course, is that the onus is now on you to know when your benefits should end.
Although wrong (sort-of) I could have my check held until December for one TWP.

If I suspected I had completed the TWP and may have earned SGA in any one month there after, I would not spend any of the SSA funds unless I absolutely could not live without the cash. And I would make darn sure that I submitted the 820 for 2013. You do not want to incur a penalty for failing to report the change in your income for 2013.

Social Security Online - The Red Book - SSDI Only Employment Supports
The bummer of it all is I don't need the money... But the money is recognition of a job-well-done. Which both my psychiatrist and therapist both agree I need for my well-being. Yeah I know there are other ways to feel rewarded... But this is what works best for me!

And the saga continues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,287,525 times
Just show up at your local field office. You don't have to have an appointment. You may have to wait a while so take a book or magazine with you.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Just show up at your local field office. You don't have to have an appointment. You may have to wait a while so take a book or magazine with you.
Two things... 1) I have spoke to my local office and they report nothing in my file on this. 2) My disability(s) don't afford me the flexibility of a in-office wait/visit.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 PM

I've been reading and re-reading the subject of "income averaging" for the self-employed. Between the bouncing references in documents and the references/links to associated documents... My head is spinning!

I'd like to reference the/a document for 2013 that I am working on now.

Lenora> Help?!!? Or anyone else?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,213,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovePA View Post
I've been reading and re-reading the subject of "income averaging" for the self-employed. Between the bouncing references in documents and the references/links to associated documents... My head is spinning!

I'd like to reference the/a document for 2013 that I am working on now.

Lenora> Help?!!? Or anyone else?
Are you referring to the 820-BK?

I'll take a look at it tomorrow. IIRC, the income averaging may not apply to you because you work on commission. But, I could be wrong. This is not my area of expertise, however, I have recently reviewed the rules so I'll give it a shot.

The self employment rules are too friggin' confusing because different rules apply for different circumstances. Blah.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 AM

My sincere thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Are you referring to the 820-BK?

I'll take a look at it tomorrow. IIRC, the income averaging may not apply to you because you work on commission. But, I could be wrong. This is not my area of expertise, however, I have recently reviewed the rules so I'll give it a shot.

The self employment rules are too friggin' confusing because different rules apply for different circumstances. Blah.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,213,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovePA View Post
My sincere thanks...
DM sent.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Default The end.

Well... My appeal is done via a conference-call. In the past I was never able to get in touch with my local SS office... Always forwarded to a remote location. This time the person I spoke to offered to schedule a phone appointment. Apparently they have a direct phone number to my local office. Accepted.

Start: Nine months of trial-work-months
End: ONE MONTH!

2012: My yearly income did not exceed the allowable... I could not get anyone to explain why three months were counted. The gentleman I spoke to said... All that information I filled out on the 820-BK was unnecessary. IRS reported X, then X divided by 12 equals NO work-months!

2009: This one is a kicker! My disability date is February 2009. My entitlement date is July 2009… I suppose I should have known about the entitlement date… But I didn’t! Here is comes… My SS gentleman used my judge’s decision date as a “start” date. Nine months of work-months to ONE!

Thoughts: YEAH!
Thoughts: All the BS and time I spent!
Thoughts: Don’t give up – Don’t just accept what is.

THE END.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement