U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 11:10 PM

5,181 posts, read 8,707,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
With all the links between sugar consumption and various illnesses, we cut out using sugar years ago. Many prepared foods with hidden sugars are no longer in our diets along with no store-bought breads.

Our target is less than 20lbs/year of sugar in all forms. You have to be pretty dedicated to reach this level, but the long term health results for us have justified this goal.

It does take more than just lowering one's sugar intake to lose weight. You still need to be watching the carbs (which get turned into sugars), calories, and exercise (caloric consumption) or you can still be or remain overweight.

If you can stay off/eliminate sugars from your diet for a month or so, you'll find that the cravings for it should be substantially diminished.
What happened to her and she's fairly young resonated with me. She mentioned puffiness - now, that's a great way to describe me. People don't think I'm as

big as I am but puffy is a good word.

She says in the video - if's it in a bag or a box, it's garbage! I'm following that.

I also remember as a child the large meals we ate - breakfast was eggs, bacon, English muffins, milk and some of my sibs started with fruit (I did not), then a lunch prepared by my mom to take to school and then a huge dinner with appetizer and dessert. How we were all so thin? I can remember being 17 and 100 pounds was like awful!! Now, I wish. (When I got married, I weighed 108 - but I still had the puffy face!)

I plan on 30 days at least - I'm the only sib in my family that really has been struggling with this and all my nieces and nephews (except for one) and my own children are all thin, totally into exercise and outdoor stuff, wear sleeveless clothes (which I'd love to do again) so I've got my work cut out for me, that's for sure.

Exercise will be a big part of this also. I need to start swimming again also.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,325,166 times
I have not quit sugar and never will, any and all of the fake sweetner gives me migraines and I don't like the aftertaste of the other "natural" sweetners. Pretty much tastes like asphalt to me and yes I actually know what asphalt tastes like after a not so pretty run in with asphalt after falling off of a motorcycle.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:15 PM

5,181 posts, read 8,707,888 times
Smile The 17 Day Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We use stevia, agave nectar and occasionally local honey as sweeteners and are very careful about sugar content in everything we purchase.

If you want to lose weight quickly and safely, buy The 17 Day Diet and follow it. It will knock off about 10 pounds in the first 17-day cycle and go on from there painlessly and you'll not feel hungry or deprived.

We're in our late 60s.
Very interesting - I just looked this up. I like the 17 day change on it. The first part sounds pretty similar to what I'm doing now. Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:11 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,032,619 times
No but I am not a fan of much sweets such as candy. I can't not drink a diet soft drink as it taste so sweet I get to feeling sick it taste so sweet.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:30 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,081,485 times
I don't have a problem avoiding sugar in all its varieties - including honey and agave.
Substitute sweeteners, like stevia, taste even nastier to me.

So in answer to the thread question - no, I haven't quit sugar, I never much cared for it to begin with. That includes fruity sugars like pineapple ~blech.

I seldom eat store-bought bread but when I do I seek out sugar-free versions.
I'm a serious chocolate addict but can only tolerate sugar free, non-artificially sweetened versions, which are pricey and hard to find.

The ~only~ sugar products that tempt me are coconut cream pies and Mounds Bars But it seems to be the coconut that tempts me and not the sugar. Long story short, I use coconut oil when cooking and this seems to keep the pie and Mounds cravings at bay.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:02 AM

106 posts, read 112,738 times
I have been out of necessity, my bg level put me at pre-diabetic. I LOVED my breads and pastries, and my mate always said I was a carb-o-holic. If there was a rice/pasta/bread diet, that would be me.

What has really helped drop some weight was diligently logging my food. I never have before, I thought it was too much of a hassle! Good lord, who knew that the handfuls of 'healthy' almonds had so many calories? That, in conjunction with a pedometer, and getting my 10K steps a day (I have a Zip Fitbit) I've actually lost almost 10 pounds in this last month. I'm in my mid-50's.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
There's white refined sugar and there's sugar as in "simple sugars" (as opposed to complex sugars). Many of our favorite seemingly healthy foods including whole wheat breads and many fresh and dried fruits and fruit juices have a pretty high "glycemic" index. To lose weight, consult a glycemic index book or chart.

When my kids were little sugar was never in our diets. I'd make cookies and such with mashed banana, yam, rice syrup, and dried fruits. They were super healthy and had no cavities. We allowed regular sweets when they had friends over. And it all fell apart when they got older and we all started in on foods with sweeteners (still trying to keep refined sugar at bay).

In my 50s I started following Dr. Neal Barnard's book Reversing Diabetes. There are so many easier ways today to keep control of sugar.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:06 AM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I saw an article the other day about "I Quit Sugar" and quite a bit within the article resonated with me.

Since March 13th, I've tried to eliminate bread, bagels and really cut down on the ice cream. Result - after almost 6 weeks - 1 big fat pound. Disappointment at its heaviest.

I'm looking for those over 50 who have had any kind of success with this. I know it's a lifestyle change and I'm really trying. It's been 3 days but I'm going to hang in at least 30 and I'm writing down how I feel and what I eat.

I also need to turn Zumba back on and buy the DIO tape. (Billy Blanks Jr)
Have a checkup. Get your thyroid checked. I have to watch what I eat because of thyroid issues. I'm over 50, but lately I've been " blessed" with a lack of hunger. Is that a blessing or curse? I get full quickly. A few bites satisfies me. I can't finish a full meal. I've lost weight. I think it might be because I only like certain things. I did cut back on sugar months ago. Maybe that triggered everything.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:02 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,185,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I saw an article the other day about "I Quit Sugar" and quite a bit within the article resonated with me.

Since March 13th, I've tried to eliminate bread, bagels and really cut down on the ice cream. Result - after almost 6 weeks - 1 big fat pound. Disappointment at its heaviest.

I'm looking for those over 50 who have had any kind of success with this. I know it's a lifestyle change and I'm really trying. It's been 3 days but I'm going to hang in at least 30 and I'm writing down how I feel and what I eat.

I also need to turn Zumba back on and buy the DIO tape. (Billy Blanks Jr)
I need to maintain my normal daily sugar intake so I can keep up with my Jack Russel terrier....She keeps me fit....

And after a full day with her, a glass of high quality Zinfandel in the evening is my reward..!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 AM

119 posts, read 98,609 times
Haven't had any sugar in 2yrs. Put myself on a Atkins diet lost 44lbs and still maintaining my weight. Diabetes runs in my family so that was the leading factor for giving up sugar and losing weight. I do miss sugar once in a while but I use sugar substitutes. I just ate a couple homemade bars of sugar free white chocolate (had a craving) . There are many recipes that you can make that are sugar free and delicious, so that helps with the sugar cravings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement