U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
Yes, or at least I have lowered my intake. Love sweets, but blood sugar levels were creeping up so I have switched to Splenda where I can. It's easy in beverages, but less so in baked goods. It takes time and effort to rework recipes.

My Achilles heel is dessert and chocolates, I never was a big soda or juice drinker.

When I do eat sugar laden treats, I try to eat small portions, or share with someone else. I have been known to bring home a slice of cheesecake from my favorite restaurant and cut it up into 4 portions, thereby lessening my daily intake of sugar, and I still get to enjoy the treat.

I find that eating out is much harder since you can't control what is in the food. It's much easier to stay at home and recreate favorites with less sugar. I don't do desserts out very often, it's a special treat when I do. I avoid buffets, and prix fixe menus where the dessert is included, I only order it on special occasions.

I can't say it's been easy, but it's necessary to maintain health.
My father's girlfriend bakes with splenda - and it's one of the worst tasting things in the world IMO (I find things like agave syrup are pretty poor sugar substitutes as well).

In terms of most cooking - and some baking (baking is more of a chemistry experiment thing - and changing ingredient amounts can affect cooking times/textures/etc. - so you have to proceed with care) - it's possible to cut the amounts of sugar called for in many recipes by a whole lot - and still wind up with a "sweet tasting" end result (especially if you're not used to consuming large amounts of sugar).

I guess overall my philosophy is to use regular natural ingredients - like sugar in its various forms (a lot of my favorite recipes call for brown sugar) - just less of it. And to indulge my sweet tooth - but sparingly. Along these lines - one of the best recent dessert ideas IMO is the "mini dessert". You can find them at lots of restaurants these days. Here are the "dessert shots" at Seasons 52:

Seasons 52 - Menu - Mini Indulgences

FWIW - all of my thinking relates to people who don't have health problems like diabetes (which obviously dictate a totally different approach to what one eats). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM

284 posts, read 352,652 times
I have no qualifications in diet or nutrition- so take this advice for what it is worth....

First, be patient, weight loss takes time. Crash diets that cause you to lose quickly are, in my opinion, not likely to have lasting results and dramatic changes in diet are probably not good for you.

Second, I believe a healthy, balanced diet and moderate exercise will help you eventually reach your goal.

Third, I am not a fan of low-carb diets, we need energy provided by carbs. (I eat plenty of bread, potatoes, rice, and am slimmer than most people.)

Talk to your doctor and get professional advice.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM

191 posts, read 282,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My father's girlfriend bakes with splenda - and it's one of the worst tasting things in the world IMO (I find things like agave syrup are pretty poor sugar substitutes as well). Robyn
Yes, it's tough to totally eliminate sugar because of the chemistry of baking. I don't bake as much as I used to. But when I do, I generally use 2/3 splenda, 1/3 sugar, and add some form of liquid to compensate.

The biggest problem is with chocolate. Splenda and chocolate together don't taste right. So I limit any baking to non-chocolate things. And I have found fruit pies are the easiest to substitute, since there is no chemistry like in cakes or breads. My family loves my pies, and they have mostly natural fruit sugar. I always use splenda in them now. Other things that I have successfully changed over are cakes and breads that have fruit/veggies in them. Like banana, carrot, zucchini, pumpkin, etc. The fruit/veggies help with the moisture level and by adding buttermilk or yogurt the consistency is maintained.

I don't consider Agave to be a sugar substitute. It is comprised of sugars. Perhaps there is a lower glycemic index, but it is totally made of sugars.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
...I don't consider Agave to be a sugar substitute. It is comprised of sugars. Perhaps there is a lower glycemic index, but it is totally made of sugars.
The only time I ever cooked with agave syrup is when I had a diabetic dinner guest who requested that I make dessert with it (he uses it at his house for reasons I don't know/understand). I used the stuff instead of sugar in a poached pear recipe - and it tasted "off"/lousy IMO. Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,149,308 times
I'm 59 and I'm more addicted to sugar than ever. Although I 'm in perfect health right now, I believe it may be my downfall one of these days (can one get diabetes later in life?)

Old 05-07-2014, 10:25 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times
I seem to need a lot of sugar, it makes me more alert.
To lose weight wring down EVERY thing you eat is a good strategy. Works for me.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm 59 and I'm more addicted to sugar than ever. Although I 'm in perfect health right now, I believe it may be my downfall one of these days (can one get diabetes later in life?)
Yes, one can absolutely get diabetes later in life.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile OK, this is day 7 WOW!!

What I've felt:

More alert
Not as tired
Better balance

4 pounds so far but I know it will end up being about 2 pounds per week which I can live with.

Like I said before, I know this is a lifestyle change and I'm trying to write down how I feel after I eat, cravings, etc.

You can't really tell but I was able to wear a pair of pants that I bought in July 2013 for the first time.
(No one noticed but I did).

Old 05-07-2014, 03:06 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I cut sugar out a long time ago but it has crept back in.

For years I didn't even keep sugar in the house and visitors would want it in their coffee. Not so anymore. The sugar bowl is right there. I do use stevia if I'm making a smoothie or a cup of cocoa and in the rare instances that I bake something.

The sugar comes in cravings. I'll be in the drug store and feel like having a snack--I see that Hostess cupcakes are back and I buy them. Or a Kit Kat bar. Then there are the restaurants and I've lost my will power for the chocolate cake. Down at the corner of the street they sell their own fudge. I guess the problem occurs mostly when I'm out of the house and exposed to the temptations. I don't want to get diabetes or any other sugar-induced disease. Late 60s here.
Hostess cupcakes are nothing like they used to be.
Same with devil dogs.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,297,215 times
I have not given up sugar, but I don't desire it ether.

There is no diabetes in my family. When my doctor put me on high dose of Prednisone (80mg/day), my blood sugar went through the roof (over 500). My doctor just said that I must a pre-diabetic and won't say any more. I have been getting a physical every 2 years for the past 30 years and have never had a blood sugar of more then 80-90 all my life.

I was poking my finger and taking all kinds of medication for diabetes.

When the doctor lowered my Prednisone down to 40mg/day the diabetes went away and it has stayed away for the past 18 months. My blood sugar is down to 80-90 again and doesn't vary.

The big question is how much does DNA have to do with getting diabetes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement