U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,966,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
There is a new documentary called Fed Up coming out produced by Katie Couric of all people about the evils of the American food industry especially sugar. When you start eliminating processed food from your diet, your taste buds eventually readjust and then those kind of foods taste way too sweet or salty. I used to add honey to yogurt and fruit but now just leave it out. Same for oatmeal as frozen berries give it enough sweetness without any added sweetener - at least for me.
I hate yogurt. Don't eat it. As for fruit - it should taste sweet on its own (at least in season and when it's not part of a dessert course - when I use something like strawberries in a dessert course - I'll sift a little confectioners sugar on them and let them macerate). As for oatmeal - a teaspoon of brown sugar (all of 16 calories) makes a world of difference . Robyn
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 PM

5,184 posts, read 8,713,592 times
Smile Obviously, sugar is a trigger for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
BRAVO (clapping hands ).

Keep it up - a day at a time. A week at a time. A month at a time.

BTW - what's wrong with popcorn (except it tends to be lousy for your teeth - which is why I don't eat it very often)? OTOH - we buy the Newman's stuff and make it at home. Low/no salt/fat.

I honestly think that whatever works for you - or anyone else - is the way to do it. A diet that keeps us reasonably fit and happy is far from a one size fits all thing IMO. Robyn
While I have a ways to go, I do feel better. Not that I felt bad before but I began to notice little things - like I bent over to pick some clothes and stood up and felt shortness of breath. (That is now gone).
I also think I am losing inches which is actually probably most important - now, I had started really cutting back March 13th so the body may have gotten the memo.

Just not to have the acid reflux (which I think that's what it was) is reason enough. That scared the **** out of me. It did.

I was told popcorn/corn was tied to sugar. That Newmans is very good IMO.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 PM

4,188 posts, read 2,610,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That works for you. Isn't a recipe for everyone. I lost 15 pounds (more than 10% of my body weight) by eating many carbs in moderation (lots of pasta - no bread) - and simply cutting down portions a lot. Also - I have a couple of spoons of ice cream every night. Overall - what matters is the number of calories you consume - in whatever form. Although I would in general advise a balance when it comes to eating various food groups. Robyn
My goal was not to lose weight, that was a side effect. My goal was to get my FBS (fasting blood sugar) down. It had been rising and was approaching 100. Normal is 70-100. And my cholesterol was slowly going up also. I hate taking pills and wanted to fix this with diet if I could. The way to control blood sugar is to control carbohydrate intake. So that is what I focused on, and had great results - lost weight, lowered my FBS, lowered my blood pressure, and my cholesterol is down.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,359,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We use stevia, agave nectar and occasionally local honey as sweeteners and are very careful about sugar content in everything we purchase.

If you want to lose weight quickly and safely, buy The 17 Day Diet and follow it. It will knock off about 10 pounds in the first 17-day cycle and go on from there painlessly and you'll not feel hungry or deprived.

We're in our late 60s.
I looked at a typical day, and it wouldn't work for me--not enough fibre. I tried giving up bread, but couldn't hack it. But I only eat whole grain or multi-grain breads. Fibre is very important to me, and I find that some whole grains do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I cut sugar out a long time ago but it has crept back in.
Me too. I had no sugar for years and years. Nor anything white--flour, rice, potatoes, bananas. But I now cook some sweet desserts, but only occasionally. There is some sugar that creeps in via prepared foods, but other than that, I'm good. I do eat bananas now, and potatoes once in a while, but still no white bread. I've never had a blood sugar problem, but feel that the "white stuff" contributes to overweight (which I still am, largely due to alcohol intake and lack of portion control.)

Mid-60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement