Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Genetics plays a role in Type 2 diabetes (which is the kind you're probably talking about):

Genetics of Diabetes: American Diabetes Association®

But less of a role than it plays when it comes to other diseases. Obesity seems to play a larger role than genetics. I mean we now have an "epidemic" of diabetes. Peoples' genes haven't changed - but they tend to be a lot fatter than in the past. It's one thing I don't like about living in the south. Too many fat/really fat people here .

I think we have a greater degree of control over whether we'll develop diabetes than a disease like Alzheimer's. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
I have a salty tooth and not a sweet tooth so I don't crave sugary things at all except for an occasional piece of chocolate. I did a little math and if a pound of sugar averages around 114 teaspoons, then I probably eat about 10 pounds a year of added sugar. Of course, that doesn't include fruit or occasional glass of wine. I eat very little processed food and haven't had a soda in years. I read that the average American eats about 150 pounds a year.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
And if you're buying foods/condiments labelled "Low Fat", you're eating more sugar than you think.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
I lost about 45 pounds in 2012 mainly by cutting down on the portion sizes of carbs and meats/proteins and increasing my intake of vegetables. I found that I was eating 1 1/2 cups or more of rice and 5-6 oz of meat per meal so cut that down to 1 cup and 3 oz. Whole grain carbs (brown rice, whole wheat pasta and bread) are more filling. Cereals can be deceiving. The box may indicate that a cup of cereal or 30 ounces (dry weight) is 120 calories. But if you actually weigh a cup of cereal, it is more like 60 ounces so you are eating double the calories. Now I weigh the cereal rather than measuring with a cup. I've always drank 1% or skim milk. I think the organic low fat milk tastes better. Fruit seems to satisfy most of my cravings for sugar. One of my favorite desserts is frozen berries mixed in a food processor with fat free Greek yogurt and artificial sweetener and then slightly frozen. I eat leaner cuts of red meat, white skinless chicken breasts, and fish and shellfish. And increased my exercise. I find that it is important to weigh and measure food portions or I will overdo it.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
There is a new documentary called Fed Up coming out produced by Katie Couric of all people about the evils of the American food industry especially sugar. When you start eliminating processed food from your diet, your taste buds eventually readjust and then those kind of foods taste way too sweet or salty. I used to add honey to yogurt and fruit but now just leave it out. Same for oatmeal as frozen berries give it enough sweetness without any added sweetener - at least for me.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:02 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile It's been 16 days - so an update

It's actually gone pretty well. I had to attend an event and ate a few crackers and a couple of other delicious items that obviously had sugar in them and about 2 hours later, I felt so tired and totally exhausted, I was amazed.

Other than that moment, I've done well and noticed the following (which is actually keeping me going)

(1) Shortness of breath seems to be disappearing
(2) No more acid reflux
(3) 9 pounds but I'm sure a lot of this is water maybe
(4) More energy, less tired
(5) More focused
(6) Seem to be "in the life" more
(7) Not reacting to negative things and thinking about food

I have a long way to go but I'm writing down how I feel and that, to me, is an inspiration.

I can feel my focus shifting from food to life which is interesting. Example: My husband loves to go to the movies. Usually, I would think throughout different times of day, oh, that will be great; can't wait for their popcorn! Now, it's more about the movie.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Sugar can be hard to eliminate. For instance, try finding a box of cold cereal that does not have sugar in it. But packaged sugar is not the only problem, it is carbohydrates. Your body converts carbs to glucose, and it is that form of sugar that causes diabetes. When you intake sucrose (sugar) your body sees it as another carbohydrate and converts it to glucose. So you really need to look at all carbs, and cut all of them down.

I lost 30 lbs and lowered my fasting blood sugar level by:
- eating sugar free cereal
- fruit for lunch, that's it. no more sandwiches or going out.
- no more rice or potatoes with dinner. Sometimes pasta though. Always eat a big salad and vegies with dinner.
- rarely eat desert
- no donuts at work
- no more potato chips, french fries, or anything fried in grease.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
It's actually gone pretty well. I had to attend an event and ate a few crackers and a couple of other delicious items that obviously had sugar in them and about 2 hours later, I felt so tired and totally exhausted, I was amazed.

Other than that moment, I've done well and noticed the following (which is actually keeping me going)

(1) Shortness of breath seems to be disappearing
(2) No more acid reflux
(3) 9 pounds but I'm sure a lot of this is water maybe
(4) More energy, less tired
(5) More focused
(6) Seem to be "in the life" more
(7) Not reacting to negative things and thinking about food

I have a long way to go but I'm writing down how I feel and that, to me, is an inspiration.

I can feel my focus shifting from food to life which is interesting. Example: My husband loves to go to the movies. Usually, I would think throughout different times of day, oh, that will be great; can't wait for their popcorn! Now, it's more about the movie.
BRAVO (clapping hands ).

Keep it up - a day at a time. A week at a time. A month at a time.

BTW - what's wrong with popcorn (except it tends to be lousy for your teeth - which is why I don't eat it very often)? OTOH - we buy the Newman's stuff and make it at home. Low/no salt/fat.

I honestly think that whatever works for you - or anyone else - is the way to do it. A diet that keeps us reasonably fit and happy is far from a one size fits all thing IMO. Robyn

Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Sugar can be hard to eliminate. For instance, try finding a box of cold cereal that does not have sugar in it. But packaged sugar is not the only problem, it is carbohydrates. Your body converts carbs to glucose, and it is that form of sugar that causes diabetes. When you intake sucrose (sugar) your body sees it as another carbohydrate and converts it to glucose. So you really need to look at all carbs, and cut all of them down.

I lost 30 lbs and lowered my fasting blood sugar level by:
- eating sugar free cereal
- fruit for lunch, that's it. no more sandwiches or going out.
- no more rice or potatoes with dinner. Sometimes pasta though. Always eat a big salad and vegies with dinner.
- rarely eat desert
- no donuts at work
- no more potato chips, french fries, or anything fried in grease.
That works for you. Isn't a recipe for everyone. I lost 15 pounds (more than 10% of my body weight) by eating many carbs in moderation (lots of pasta - no bread) - and simply cutting down portions a lot. Also - I have a couple of spoons of ice cream every night. Overall - what matters is the number of calories you consume - in whatever form. Although I would in general advise a balance when it comes to eating various food groups. Robyn

Old 05-16-2014, 05:21 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I haven't quit sugar, but then I don't eat very much. I don't normally eat packaged foods or breads or anything that contains added sugar. I don't drink soda or iced tea. I have one cup of coffee with 1/2 tsp. of sugar in the morning. I will eat some Rasinettes or a cookie once or twice a week. Maybe 1/2 C. of ice cream once a month. Everything in moderation is my guideline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement