Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:58 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times

Advertisements

> Older Adults - 50 Plus - Have you quit sugar?

No, and can't see why I should.

However I am quite moderate with its use, don't drink sodas of any kind, and generally find cakes and desserts too sweet for my taste. Ice cream is another story however...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I saw an article the other day about "I Quit Sugar" and quite a bit within the article resonated with me.

Since March 13th, I've tried to eliminate bread, bagels and really cut down on the ice cream. Result - after almost 6 weeks - 1 big fat pound. Disappointment at its heaviest.

I'm looking for those over 50 who have had any kind of success with this. I know it's a lifestyle change and I'm really trying. It's been 3 days but I'm going to hang in at least 30 and I'm writing down how I feel and what I eat.

I also need to turn Zumba back on and buy the DIO tape. (Billy Blanks Jr)
Only 1 pound after nearly 6 weeks? Two things come to mind.

1. Are you just as active as you were before you started? If you're not, it could be your metabolism is slowing things down to compensate for the calorie loss.

2. How is your sodium intake? Processed meats and chips? They are high in sodium. If you're replacing the bagels and bread with other carbs that are high in salt, you might be holding water.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Pretty much given up on sweets, did love them though. Still have memories of orange a Hostess cupcakes

Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 AM

297 posts, read 794,666 times
I have tried to eliminate artificial sweeteners from my diet and have gradually cut down on real sugar. Not eliminated it, but have adjusted to about half as much as I used to use in my coffee and tea. Fewer cookies & other sweet baked goods, but again, not completely eliminated. I've found that I used to try and perk myself up with sweets but would end up feeling worse instead of better. I truly do feel better by eating more fruits and vegetables and less processed food.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:34 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
What happened to her and she's fairly young resonated with me. She mentioned puffiness - now, that's a great way to describe me. People don't think I'm as big as I am but puffy is a good word.
The revered food writer MFK Fisher wrote very matter-of-factly in the 1950's about "the Irish with their puffy faces" from carbohydrate eating ...

Seems a given even back then

Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile See the plan below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post

1. Are you just as active as you were before you started? If you're not, it could be your metabolism is slowing things down to compensate for the calorie loss.

2. How is your sodium intake? Processed meats and chips? They are high in sodium. If you're replacing the bagels and bread with other carbs that are high in salt, you might be holding water.
Everyday I'm trying to do more. I'm a terrible eater - I was forced as a child to eat certain things and when I was 7, I stopped. My parents were always trying to get me to gain weight in those days (sigh).

Your point #1 might be it. At breakfast, I started eating oatmeal in a small bowl. I drank a glass of water a half hour before.

About 11 AM, I get a Starbucks Green Tea (zen) - large one. I usually don't go to lunch and then, for dinner, we were either grilling beef or salmon, vegetable, sometimes a baked potato (which I have since cut out).

(My husband gets a sandwich but I'm not much on sandwiches so I do not - I'm very busy during the day with work; the hours fly by; I don't even think about food)

From time to time, we threw in a dish of ice cream. Then, we went to yogurt. That's about it.

So, I have to get more active. I don't eat frozen dinners and really nothing processed. I go to a meat market/fish market for all that. No chips/no candy/also no fruit and I need to get better on the vegetables because I have to force myself.

Weight picture for me: 100 (age 18)
Mid 20's - 105-110
First pregnancy - Zoomed up to 130, lost 5
Second pregnancy - Got to 5 months (135) - lost baby
Third pregnancy - had never lost that weight - got to 160
2 years after 3rd pregnancy - 133-135
Stayed in the 135-140 until 2001
In 2001 to 2003, I gained 15 pounds - 155 - saw 160 and was scared
2004 to 2007 - back to 135 range
2007 onward - went up to 185 gradually
Goal: 135 but slowly; need to be at least 155 by July 15 and 135 by October 1st

I do not look my weight. Most people guess about 145. I am 5'6" and small boned. I even went shopping with one of my sisters (skinny Minnie) and she was shocked. She is on me all the time now about my weight.

At work, even though I sit at a desk, I got up a lot in order to do things.

It's day 4, just had brunch and that's pretty much it for the day. Working the rest of the day.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post

Sodium is now my drug of choice instead of sugar. I'd rather have salted cashews (no added oil) or a bowl of "sweet potato" chips than sweets. Of course the chips are carbs and high on the glycemic index. It's said in eastern medicine that sugar and salt are on opposite ends of the spectrum; to avoid one you have to avoid the other and eat more in the "center."

Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
I haven't given up sugar or sweets at all, and have no weight or significant health problems.

I eat cookies, brownies, ice cream (weakness for Dairy Queen's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard) and pastries, and have no problem with keeping my weight at a reasonable level. I also often eat a bagel or muffin for breakfast, and don't plan on cutting back unless some severe health issue crops up.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
I gave up MOST sugars after embracing IF (intermittent fasting).. but i was never a big sugar-fan so it went unnoticed for a while. Now I never have a sugar craving.. maybe a meat or salt craving (bacon is my goto snack!) but not sugar.

Of course, I still eat ice-cream as it is one of the necessary food groups!

Old 05-04-2014, 05:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology

Robert Lustig's New Talk on Sugar! | DietDoctor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement