Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 01:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,610,827 times

Advertisements

So many people ask about 55+ housing down south. Since I spent some time exploring this, I have some places I can post here. So here are some facts for you, and information you might just find handy, in your search for a retirement abode. ( in the SC/Myrtle Beach area)

Surfside Beach, SC Area:

Woodlake...This is part of Indian Wells Golf Community. So one area is for all ages and this section is for 55+. These are wood built, solid homes. The lot sizes a good, and the homes are not cookie cutter at all. Different styles and kinds, most one level. They have a pool and community center. ( off of Garden City Connector)

Spring Forest....Not far from Woodlake and off of 17 By-pass you will find Spring Forest. These are also stick built. Many are on lagoon type waterways. Very pretty 55+ community and well kept. I'd say the homes are a bit smaller then those at Woodlake but nice styles in any case.
They have a pool and clubhouse area. Pull up to the gate for admission in.

Conway:

Myrtle Trace...A bit further to the beach these are stick built homes between 501 and 544.
Myrtle Trace Grande.. ( I have not visited this location.)

Murrells Inlet:
Live Oaks
Inlet Oaks
Captains Cove These three above are on leased land. They are very close to the main drive
of Murrells Inlet, all three. I know at least two had pools and there were
clubhouses. One was a very vibrant club, full of activities. These are
manufactured homes. Single wide and double.

To those of you who want an all age, or want to check into them also ...
Coral Bay...Larger manufactured homes off of 17. Not far from beach.( own land)
Windjammer Village- Surfside Beach ( leased land)
Crystal Lake - behind Preswick off of 544( leased land)
Teal Acres - 707 area ( leased land)

Some areas such as Lake Park Plantation( off of 544) have plenty of retired in its development without it being a 55+ and without those rules that one must abide to. Stick built many on lagoons some back to woods.

I'd suggest Glenmere ( off 544 ) also as equal to Lake Park in this regard.
Both having stick built homes, with mostly hip roof lines. Many of lagoons or backed to
woods. Your own land, and very few rules. Some rules are just for curb appeal rather then
for your displeasure.

Hopefully this will help you get a start on a happy retirement in a state your sure to love.
A toast to "sunshine!"
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM

729 posts, read 1,309,356 times
Great post, thank you so much. I'll be checking each and every one out online, then this winter when we're in NMB all winter, we can go look at some of them. Mostly, what we DO NOT want is a mfd home community where the land is leased. Other than that, we can most likely deal with a condo, a home, a 55+ or Not a 55+. We've spent a couple of winters in MB and really like the whole are and just love the people we've met. We've stayed at Tupelo Bay in Murrells Inlet, right off business 17. Thanks again!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM

Your welcome.
We stayed about ten winters or so at Oceanside Village. We loved our winters there but, like you we wanted to not be on land that was leased. So we know the Tupelo Bay quite well.
I looked at many places during our stays here. Lo and behold, I never came across Lake Park Plantation. I like this location as it is just a short, short, drive to the beach and yet near all the stores and restaurants.
We also liked Glenmere.
I didn't actually want to be at a 55+. I want family to come and go as they please and no 30 day rule on how long the underage can stay. ( LOL)
After posting at another time on Woodlake and Spring Forest I know two different people who chose each of them. I was glad I posted so they had some idea as to what is what.
When I was researching I had to dig up all my own information as far as what was what and where.
We wanted time to think about each place without a realtor looking over our shoulders.
Picking out a home should take more time then buying a car. We needed to get a feel for the area.
Its best to do exactly what you are planning.
Best of luck to you.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Seasons at Prince Creek West Murrells Inlet SC - Seasons Prince Creek

I forgot to add a very special place that has 55+. Seasons at Prince Creek. Prince Creek is a beautiful area of homes and golfing. It is in the southern half of 707 under the town of Murrells Inlet. Close to the ocean yet far enough away.
A bit more expensive then some of the others posted. Worth a visit for sure.

Also onto a lower priced list but single and double wides that are on leased land is at Jensens Village. This is in a terrific location. This is at Surfside Beach and just across 17 business. Less then 5 minutes to the ocean and in a prime spot.
I must say that it is very pretty in there. Some homes look like regular stick built. Lots are large and its very green in this community. They have a large active club house. ( not sure about a pool)

This is all that has come to mind right now but, I will try to find a few more. Best of luck...to all.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:14 AM

729 posts, read 1,309,356 times
What a good time last night checking out the communities you listed in your original post. Had no idea there were so many communities; especially like Woodlake @ Indian Wells GC, but we'll definitely be looking around. Going to also check out North Myrlte Beach. We thought we might check out Little River, but in checking City-Data.com, there are way too many registered sex offenders in that lovely little town.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Great, I am so happy it was a help to you. One time in the past I did a similar list and it seemed to be a great help to people who wanted to buy this way.
I had to do so much research on my own when I wanted to move down here to SC. Lucky I was here in the winter months to see numerous places. Still Lake Park Plantation was a surprise to me.
I can get some pictures when I am over that way for you. I think the location is great. It is nicely placed in a wooded area and yet close to all you would need. Its a joy to have Lowes and Home Depot close at hand. It also is wonderful to have grocery stores that are close by.
Woodlake has bigger lots then Spring Forest. Although both have nice homes. They are close to each other just drive up to that gate in Spring Forest. ( no problem getting in before 6PM)

Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,339,099 times
Wonderful information! Thank you, Summering.

We visited Murrell's Inlet while on vacation in North MB. Lovely area.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Ok friends here is an addition.....
There is Crestwinds, at the Market Commons area. These are not totally inexpensive but they are in a prime area. You would be totally close to Barnes and Nobles, restaurants, a large movie theater, and grocery store. There is a lake for walking around and lots of small boutique type stores amongst others.
So this would go under Myrtle Beach. It is not all that far from a beach, a reasonable distance. Crestwinds is a 55+. They have an HOA fee of about $200 per month. Look into this if you like places nearby to walk to.
All brand new homes. I think they go for $250K on upwards.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM

13,360 posts, read 26,893,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Ok friends here is an addition..... There is Crestwinds, at the Market Commons area.
Since I have been researching Myrtle Beach as an alternative if I were retired, I have found a couple of new options.

There is a community near Forestbrook and 501 called Carillon at Tuscany. The builder is DR Horton. They have a 55+ section with single-family homes, and a townhouse section for all ages. These are 1.5 story attached homes with 2 bedrooms on the first floor and a loft upstairs so they are suitable for seniors. The best attraction is that they are in walking distance to a Food Lion, and that shopping center also has a family practice doctor. The complex has a pool and a nice clubhouse with a media room.

There another DR Horton community called Oceanwalk, which is just off Business 17 across from Myrtle Beach State Park. It is an all-ages community with the same models of SFH and duplex TH's, but it is slightly more expensive than Tuscany. They have an outdoor/indoor pool/lazy river and a clubs which look great on paper. The have only a few homes built currently, and I don't know what the HOA fees would be. They are about 3 miles from a grocery store, but one could safely take a golf cart there. I haven't located the doctor yet.

I have also been researching the bus system in MB, in case I was unable to drive. So far, it looks too limited and that taxis would be a better option.

MB also has the Loews Food chain which will deliver groceries. There is also a grocery delivery business called SimplyGroceries.com which advertises that they are cheaper than Lowes Food.

BTW, out of the older communities, I really like Woodlake. The lots are large with mature plantings, and the houses are solid. Many have built-in bookshelves and Carolina rooms. You could also safely use a golf cart to get to a grocery store there, as the houses are 1.5 to 3 miles from a Food Lion, and you don't have to cross a highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement