U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,460,873 times

Advertisements

LOL..you're a "short timer" now

Get yourself a countdown app to display on your computer at work.
If you have no computer then do a paper one and change it every morning.

If you have accumulated tons of paper over the years then each day set aside a bit of time to start sorting through them.
If you need to train someone to take over (assuming mgmt knows that you are leaving) then start training them.
If you need to document what you do for the next person then start on that and work on that a bit each day.

Above all else, keep yourself busy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 AM

829 posts, read 957,258 times
18 more work days to go. I just got done looking at real estate listings sent to me by my realtor in Portland Maine (that's where I'm heading before it hits 10 degrees for days on end). I'll do a little training of my replacement (although no one can ever replace me ) this afternoon. Each day gets harder because I've spent the past six months creating desk procedures that even a grade schooler can follow for all the primary tasks I do. I will be leaving this desk in good shape for my doppleganger. Starting June 1st, I get the house ready to go on the market. At the end of July, my wife retires and in early August we head north. I can already taste the lobster.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
18 more work days to go. I just got done looking at real estate listings sent to me by my realtor in Portland Maine (that's where I'm heading before it hits 10 degrees for days on end). I'll do a little training of my replacement (although no one can ever replace me ) this afternoon. Each day gets harder because I've spent the past six months creating desk procedures that even a grade schooler can follow for all the primary tasks I do. I will be leaving this desk in good shape for my doppleganger. Starting June 1st, I get the house ready to go on the market. At the end of July, my wife retires and in early August we head north. I can already taste the lobster.
You realize that Portland gets God awful cold. 10 degrees doesnt entirely tell the picture. Good golly the breeze coming off the ocean at 10 degrees then feels 10 degrees colder. Arrrrrrrrggggggg my poor aching joints just thinking about that. Dont give up that warm Texas home.

Signed

WhenIretireIamleavingthisnorthernsnowbelt

Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,663,961 times
Stay positive and do your job to the best of your ability up to the final day. What counts is how you feel about yourself in the end, not anyone else. As far as work goes, this saying always kept me humble and sane: "You are only as good as today, tomorrow hasn't happened and nobody remembers yesterday." Live for today and be happy you get to retire and go out on whatever terms you deem important to you. You have choices, which is always good.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:00 PM

6,849 posts, read 7,793,965 times
1. Retirement does not mean you have to move at all, let alone by any deadline. You can take your time to pick the right location and the right domicile at a pace that feels comfortable. If you have vacation this year, use it and travel to those locations that interest you and "try each one on for size." My DH and I did that over the course of my last 5 or so years at work and it was quite fun.

2. In your last year, you should run a victory lap. If you are performing a skill that others will take over after you leave, perhaps you could do a little mentoring. You'd be surprised how much younger folks value this.

3. Take breath and realize just how lucky you are. It's the rare person these days that is faced with what seems challenge to you: Full retirement in less than 18 months! And with a pension!! I'm sure many people would trade places in a heartbeat. Perhaps you can take a minute or two each day and pick something you are grateful for. It can be anything you'd like: Past, present, or future; Family, friends, or finances; Health; hobbies, or happiness. You get the picture.

Congratulations on reaching his point in life. Enjoy it.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,338,796 times
As others have said, counting the days at this point will make the time seem slower. What I did was to make the periods longer so the numbers seemed smaller. For instance, I started counting quarters when I was over a year out. 7 quarters doesn't seem that long. Once I got down to less than a year, I counted months. It was a pleasure to say to myself, that was the last January, February, etc., that I have to work as each month passed by. While I did have a countdown clock, I never paid attention to the number of days left to work, except when I had a year's worth of work days left (I subtracted holidays and planned days off in addition to weekends). Even the last month, I went by weeks left.

Also, spend your free time planning what you're going to do in retirement. Make some outlandish plans just to see if they're doable. Probably the biggest drag for me was my supervisor retired 20 months before I did and an incompetent supervisor was hired. He thought he was a figurehead and started doling out his tasks. I had no incentive to learn anything new, which I'd never do again. The only way he'll be able to get through year-end again is if the temporarily hire my old supervisor to do the work again. They did that last year and he was supposed to learn his job, but it didn't take.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:03 PM

223 posts, read 274,206 times
I think that my husband is suffering from THE COUNTDOWN, as well. He will be quitting his job next January/February and we've been planning for a while. I think that the biggest issue is that I'm already at home. I work from home and he still has to go off to work every day.

We have a list of projects to get the house ready for retirement and I've been working on some of those projects like downsizing and minor repairs. I try to include him in the plans so that he can feel some of the excitement, too. Of course, when the alarm goes off in the morning, it is a reminder that he isn't there...yet!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:16 PM

13,632 posts, read 8,554,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I will be able to collect my full pension in Sept 2015 so I have another year and a half to go. I will have just turned 61 when that day comes. In the interim, we have to get the house ready to sell, figure out where to live and all the other decisions that go along with retirement. That is all very exciting but I am finding that "showing up" for work is becoming increasingly hard. I just don't care about it anymore and most of my co=worker friends retired two years ago. I want to be spending time doing what I want before I'm too old to do anything. How does one get through just one more year? Any ideas are appreciated.
We counted weeks. I remember starting at about 75 or so. Then, each week we would mark it off!
I wasn't sure I could make it for 500 some-odd days, but 75 Mondays? Heck, I could do that standing on my head! That's only 36 paydays!

It will be a great day, orngkat!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:44 PM

4,690 posts, read 2,540,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
You realize that Portland gets God awful cold. 10 degrees doesnt entirely tell the picture. Good golly the breeze coming off the ocean at 10 degrees then feels 10 degrees colder. Arrrrrrrrggggggg my poor aching joints just thinking about that. Dont give up that warm Texas home.

Signed

WhenIretireIamleavingthisnorthernsnowbelt
Hey, you two, just a thought: why don't you trade homes once in the summer and once in the winter with each other so you get to see how the other half lives?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Hey, you two, just a thought: why don't you trade homes once in the summer and once in the winter with each other so you get to see how the other half lives?

I am in Massachusetts and he is looking in Maine. Houses cost much less there. Portland not so much but it is a raw cold they will hate. Most likely I will not move to TX so that probably wouldn't work. But as for knowing what the heat would be like there. I think my year in Iraq will have prepared me for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement