U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 PM

23 posts, read 97,622 times

Advertisements

Much like your situation, in 2011 I pensioned out after 30 years of service at the age of 54. We spent the last year getting our house ready to sell. It was a lot of work but well worth it. One month after retirement our home sold and we were on our way to a new life 1,800 miles away. Like another poster said, set the countdown date on your computer. It will not make time slow down, in fact it made it bearable for me when the last several YEARS were terrible. I took pics of the countdown, 0:00:00 till retirement ! I look at them daily. As far as not really caring about work in the last year or so, you are not alone there. Lastly, an old timer who retired years before me gave me this advice; keep your eye on the prize. Advice I still give my younger friends still on the job. it works. Best of luck, enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:06 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,527,506 times
My last year, no one at work knew I was looking toward retirement. I spent my time completing projects, cleaning out my desk, preparing how to work process/training guides, training the young people, explaining the why of things to people, etc that my two month notice was a surprise to them.

It was hard to keep myself productively and happily occupied but I found projects that needed to doing. My employer asked me to stay on for two additional months, which I did. They also asked me to stay on as a consultant and to call them back after I have rested awhile.

So far I am still resting and visiting family. Haven't called my former employer yet.

BTW, my recommendation is that you make a list of things that need to be done at your home and get them done while you are still working. Need a new car? Buy one and get it paid off. Need your house painted or something fixed? Same idea. That is what I did, worked off my list at home.

Good luck

Old 05-06-2014, 09:19 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,622,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My last year, no one at work knew I was looking toward retirement. I spent my time completing projects, cleaning out my desk, preparing how to work process/training guides, training the young people, explaining the why of things to people, etc that my two month notice was a surprise to them.
I agree with this, keep it to yourself and do what you need to do to make the transition as smooth as possible. In my case even I wasn't sure I would actually retire but with full retirement age looming it was in the back of my mind and I did everything I could to update manuals and finish large projects. A change in the structure of our division made up my mind (been there, done that, didn't want to do it again) and when I gave a month's notice, people were shocked but I had gotten through that last year just like the previous twenty-four.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM

741 posts, read 641,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
How does one get through just one more year? Any ideas?
I'm starting to enter into the same phase. I will be 65 this Summer and I expect to retire in the latter-half of 2015. My mind has been wandering and I need to be careful to pay attention to work, income and maintaining my lifestyle without jeopardizing it due to lack of interest. So, I'm trying to focus on the present during the week when my priority is work, and I allow myself to dream a bit and do "what if's" for the future ... on the weekend.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,253,209 times
I've got 10 months to go. I'm still productive and still traveling but a lot of time I'm thinking about what I'm going to be doing after the 10 months. I'm trying to be careful about getting into a situation where people needs some commitment from me after the 10 months. I'm supposed to be an "expert" and sometimes the lead times for what I do are rather lengthy. I don't know that counting down the time makes it longer, I rather like seeing the numbers change. I've got four inflection points in the next 10 months so that will be entertaining.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 AM

741 posts, read 641,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I'm trying to be careful about getting into a situation where people needs some commitment from me after the 10 months.
I hear you. I'm starting to untangle myself from some commitments, to provide some flexibility in the next year or two. I've served on my large condominium association for the past ten years; the last 3 I've been President. We have more than 500 residents. Last evening was our Annual Meeting and I chose not to run for re-election to the Board. I had a wide smile pasted to my face all evening, I was that happy. I also care for a 87 year-old close friend (almost a relative) who is terminally ill and not expected to live beyond this year (or early next). When he passes I will be free of that responsibility. That, too, will be a burden lifted. I'm looking towards a day when I can become selfish, and care for myself ... first.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,269,897 times
Just delight in the thought that retirement is coming soon but enjoy every day now, not living in the future. The anticipation of an event is joyful!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:42 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,053,444 times
3 months to go for me (actually like 60 working days)! It's exciting and kind of scary at the same time. The change in medical care worries me the most I guess. This past year I made sure I got alot of medical stuff taken care of...tests, procedures, dental check ups, car check ups, etc. and I'm trying to get all my "annual" doctor visits taken care of before I retire, as I am still on my work health insurance and am paying alot for it.

I find it's very hard to get up in the morning (even though I'm a morning person), get dressed and ready, that daily commute, which is one thing I won't ever miss. Sunday nights seem the hardest because I have to get ready for Monday. Once I'm here, I do my work and try to save as much money as I can while I still have paychecks coming in. I do remind myself to keep my eye on the goal. I did give 5 months notice because I wanted it all out in the open so I could get my financial information from the company in order to have the time to make the right decisions. I'm certainly very grateful for my job and benefits but I am definitely ready to retire, no doubts at all. I'm really trying not to let any "politics" at work get to me any more (at least I'm trying not to) and it feels great!

There's an app called Day Counter that you can program to any date you want and watch the countdown (to the seconds)...I find it fun

Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,121 times
I appreciate all the ideas. Even though I work for the state, I have a very unique work situation which would be impossible to explain and for which I am very grateful. I don't consider myself retired-in-place and I'm sure my small office of co-workers would agree on that point. Not so much the work I am ready to leave but the routine. Up at 6:00, clothes, hair, traffic, make lunch etc, silly meetings, more traffic etc...that is the part that makes me scream with frustration. Also, we don't have the luxury of staying in our current house when we do retire due to rising taxes so moving is mandatory and not knowing where to move is a big part of the anxiety.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,053,444 times
I think the US is headed for a massive housing crisis, because people are living so much longer, people don't want to take in their older family members (although they could contribute to the household in many ways), and the cost of homes and taxes, rents are skyrocketing, etc. I just read that "room mates" is becoming a necessary option now for many of us headed into the golden years. And it's not just us older people but the middle class is getting squeezed out. Anyway, sorry to get off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement