U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM

741 posts, read 642,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
... and the cost of homes and taxes, rents are skyrocketing, etc. I just read that "room mates" is becoming a necessary option now for many of us headed into the golden years. And it's not just us older people but the middle class is getting squeezed out. Anyway, sorry to get off topic.
Where is it you're seeing these "skyrocketing" cost of homes and taxes, and people having to find roomates? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM

832 posts, read 958,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
You realize that Portland gets God awful cold. 10 degrees doesnt entirely tell the picture. Good golly the breeze coming off the ocean at 10 degrees then feels 10 degrees colder. Arrrrrrrrggggggg my poor aching joints just thinking about that. Dont give up that warm Texas home.

Signed

WhenIretireIamleavingthisnorthernsnowbelt

Oops. That was a typo by me. I meant 100 degree days. Even my keyboard is taking a relaxed attitude and skipping letters. Plus, the older I've gotten, the more I hate the heat. I grew up in Minnesota and miss X-country skiing, downhill skiing, and I want to try snow shoeing.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 8,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I have another year and a half to go. In the interim, we have to get the house ready to sell, figure out where to live and all the other decisions that go along with retirement.
My wife and I retire this month! Two years ago, we started the process that you mention in the quote. Our process was (roughly) as follows: first, we created a retirement budget and stuck to it as closely as possible just to see what we could afford and how it would feel to live on our projected retirement income. Then, we bought our retirement home, a small frame house in a historic neighborhood in Richmond VA. Because we bought early, we got it when interest rates and home prices were at their lowest point since Bear Stearns. We were fortunate, too, in that the house came already occupied by two very nice tenants who have taken very good care of it.

We made frequent visits to our new retirement neighborhood, and in the process discovered wonderful restaurants, parks, and museums, many within walking distance of our home-to-be. We even got to know some of the neighbors and attended neighborhood functions. So, even though we were still working--and still waiting to retire--we were able to "practice" for our retirement whenever we wanted. If things were especially crazy at work, we would pack a bag on Friday afternoon, hop in the car, and “retire” for the weekend.

And on non-travel weekends, we cleaned, painted, repaired, and upgraded our “real life” residence using the money we saved by living by our projected retirement budget and income. Because we started the upgrades and repairs early, we were able to enjoy them for a while: the granite, hardwood, carpet, freshly painted interior, and all the rest. We put our house up for sale on March 21 of this year, and it was under contract on March 23. We got a good price and only had to endure 6 showings.
Now, it is time to retire, and we are ready! Our house closes in two weeks, just 5 days after our last days at work and 5 days before the tenants in our Richmond house move out and into their new apartment.

Don’t get me wrong—with all of the above, there were moments when our retirement dates seemed a hundred years away. But the trick is to find ways to minimize those moments, and a well defined goal can go a long way toward doing that. Ours helped us to anticipate our retirement, work together to prepare for it in plenty of time, and enjoy each day while we waited.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,334,622 times
Seems most I know do pack up and leave... not at all like the old days when the neighborhood had lots of retired or semi-retired households.

At work... just about everyone cashes out and heads for the hills or out of state...

Good luck and remember having a plan is half the battle.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,736,926 times
Quote:
"skyrocketing" cost of homes and taxes
Don't know about other places, but here in Austin TX, the appraised value of our house just went up $100K in one year. Sounds like skyrocketing to me...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,334,622 times
Similar in the SF Bay Area... some areas have seen 30 to 40% in 18 months.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 AM

17,417 posts, read 21,259,305 times
I've got 11 more months to work, which is now giving me the luxury of "mouthing off", or I should say being more directly honest, with those above me. I actually have enough funds to make it thru the next 11 months, so I don't care anymore, and, surprisingly, I'm getting more respect! And enjoying my job for a change!

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility as a CNA and I'm long tired of nurses who elevate themselves above me, and look down on me.

I said to one nurse: "Get off your high horse! You never know when that horse starts bucking, and you fall off the horse and break your neck and your ego, too! How can you be anymore valuable than me, when all you do is push pills, chart all night, and have virtually no contact with the patients!"

More and more I say: "I'll get there when I get there! You have a problem with that?"

Enjoy your last days of work!

Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,206,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Similar in the SF Bay Area... some areas have seen 30 to 40% in 18 months.

Boston area too. Bidding wars in any desirable neighborhood. Sale prices almost always over asking price.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM

364 posts, read 553,521 times
My ritual for the year before I retired was that when walking my dog in the woods behind my house before work (up at 5:30am) I would pick up a fallen branch. I would add it to a pile of firewood accumulating behind my house for a celebratory post-retirement bonfire. My dog helped me get through my last 5 years also. My job was getting increasingly stressful, his companionship and getting out for a real walk with him twice a day was a great help. I also spent the last year de-cluttering and getting the house ready for sale and that was a helpful process as well. A lifetime review and remembrance as I went through everything I owned and eliminated the excess.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,065,022 times
In my post I meant that rents are skyrocketing, which they are all over the country, but home prices are going up too. Not just buying a home but the maintenance is very expensive. Rental vacancies are down to like 4.7% which is very low. Especially in California where the cost of buying a home is out of reach for many people of all ages. Here it's a landlord's market and there are waiting lists to get into the better apartment complexes. 20 somethings don't bat an eyelash at paying $2-3k to rent an apartment, and they all have roommates or significant others. People do rent out their extra rooms in their homes to other people, and share their homes to get extra income to pay the mortgages, bills, etc. In CA this is happening. As time marches on, the baby boomer women will statistically become widows and I think you will see a trend developing where many find that living with others is the way to survive (and keep from getting lonely) for those who aren't wealthy. Community housing is happening in places like Oregon. We are going to have to get creative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement