U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,121 times

Advertisements

I will be able to collect my full pension in Sept 2015 so I have another year and a half to go. I will have just turned 61 when that day comes. In the interim, we have to get the house ready to sell, figure out where to live and all the other decisions that go along with retirement. That is all very exciting but I am finding that "showing up" for work is becoming increasingly hard. I just don't care about it anymore and most of my co=worker friends retired two years ago. I want to be spending time doing what I want before I'm too old to do anything. How does one get through just one more year? Any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:25 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
I had a similar long wait. I had the house listed for sale in a down market and was not willing to retire until I had a contract and the buyer had full loan approval. It was a Long, Long wait. In addition I told no one at work and only a very few friends and family were aware of my plans. Eventually everything worked out. I kept thinking about being a kid and waiting for Christmas.

I did find that the year or so of planning and selling the house went quickly. I had lots to do: serious downsizing, preparing a camper for travel, preparing for a life on the road with electronic banking, recordkeeping, etc.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,798,899 times
Instead of focusing on the year and a half of work remaining, look at the specific projects or goals you want to achieve at work. Act as if you were staying long term, with the pleasant surprise of not actually having to do so.

Counting down will make the time go much slower.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Go out kicking butt doing a good job, working hard with your retirement date carved in your psyche . Know that one day soon you will never have to go to work again . If you do it will be part of your life goal and plan ,

Old 05-04-2014, 07:32 PM

8,761 posts, read 7,689,871 times
You're doing what too many people do. That is, live in the day, not what's coming in the future. I might even humbly suggest that you put off all the preparations you're going to make before you retire. We're going to retire, then slow down, take some trips, clean out stuff we don't want or need, put in a few updates and improvements and then put the house up for sale. Otherwise, it all becomes a big pita. Take life as it comes, one day at a time and enjoy. Its not a race.

As far as work goes, don't you want to leave with a good reputation, not one of being a slacker who just goofed off his last year.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,066 times
If you have a significant amount of annual leave saved up and are not counting on cashing it out once you retire, you might start taking a day off every week or two. I'm in a similar situation as am retiring in a year or two and am burned out at work after 29 years. During lunch hour, I check out this retirement forum and a few others and also the CD forum and the local news for the place where I plan to relocate. Don't read every posting. But it motivates me a little. What has really helped is that it got very busy at work so now the months are flying by. But I preferred it when it was not so busy.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:01 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,829,371 times
Apparently you have decided to "retire in-place" - and want the company to keep you employed anyway, so that you can get your full pension. In short, what you want and what the company wants no longer seem compatible. Your choice is to either officially retire with whatever portion of your pension you are eligible for now ... or 'reset' your mind to actually 'earn' the full pension you desire.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,566,050 times
I always took pride in my work and always wanted people to think of me as a great coworker, up to the end. So I tried to go out on a very positive note. It worked, maybe too well. They have been asking me to do some consulting for them. Not sure if I want to do that though.

It is either that or perhaps a fine bottle of 12 year old Bourbon.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Apparently you have decided to "retire in-place" - and want the company to keep you employed anyway, so that you can get your full pension. In short, what you want and what the company wants no longer seem compatible. Your choice is to either officially retire with whatever portion of your pension you are eligible for now ... or 'reset' your mind to actually 'earn' the full pension you desire.
For the last 18 months I worked, I felt like I had retired in place. Even at work I spent a great deal of time thinking about retirement and my retirement plans. I actual found a strange positive reaction at work. My boss often came up with some hair brained ideas. In the past I tried to obviate. Once I was retired in place, I just supported his ideas. We wasted a lot of time, effort and money but he was happy. Later on he told me I did a great job for my last year at work.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Instead of focusing on the year and a half of work remaining, look at the specific projects or goals you want to achieve at work. Act as if you were staying long term, with the pleasant surprise of not actually having to do so.

Counting down will make the time go much slower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Go out kicking butt doing a good job, working hard with your retirement date carved in your psyche . Know that one day soon you will never have to go to work again . If you do it will be part of your life goal and plan ,
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
You're doing what too many people do. That is, live in the day, not what's coming in the future. I might even humbly suggest that you put off all the preparations you're going to make before you retire. We're going to retire, then slow down, take some trips, clean out stuff we don't want or need, put in a few updates and improvements and then put the house up for sale. Otherwise, it all becomes a big pita. Take life as it comes, one day at a time and enjoy. Its not a race.

As far as work goes, don't you want to leave with a good reputation, not one of being a slacker who just goofed off his last year.

OP I took and highlighted lines from three very good posts here. Thanks to them the combination tells the huge story.

1. Is to not focus on counting down until you leave. It WILL make time go slower.
2. Have a goal to achieve on your way out. This is especially true in my work. more to come on that at the end.
3. Having that attitude will give you a sense of accomplishment knowing you went out on top.
4. Giving your best to a job you have put many years in through good times and bad. With changes that have come along good and bad.

Here is my related points. I am army national guard and I am also a full time federal employee working for the guard. The two jobs are related (for me) in that I have to wear the uniform every day I work whether it is weekend or during my work week. I am a mechanic (senior maintenance NCO) on the weekend and during the week I am in logistics automation management, in other words computers.

How this relates to your question and thread is I am nearing my retirement date. It could be September for the next three years. Lots of factors involved but the point there is it could be 1+ year or 3+ years from now. I hope the latter. At retirement early (1+ year) I can collect one of two pensions and have to wait for the other. Between now and whatever time that is I still have soldiers who depend on me and look up to me. I need to keep that trust in me by them in order to get work accomplished. If I am not giving it my best they will see it. It affects moral and work performance. My working harder can make up for some of the slackers that are there and at least some will understand the value.

I have a goal in the last times I have here to bring us through a transition period to a new logistical system we are halfway in. It will culminate in about a year from now and there will be a period of time that will be delicate that will require my attention as our workforce learns the program. I want to be remembered as a help in that transition and yes they can blame me for some problems but for the most part I want to be remembered for the good work in that transition.

So I guess my advise is to seize on a goal and strive towards it. It will speed time and give you a feeling of selfworth and accomplishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement