U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:36 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times

Advertisements

Concierge Medicine (direct care) is making its way into the middle class.
Over 66% of concierge practices now charge less than $135/month.

Pros and Cons of Concierge Medicine - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:40 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,331,777 times
Does a pension count as income on Obamacare?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
I looked up health care costs on the sherpa website. How can one afford the deductibles and out-of-pocket costs? Also, does your "income" include savings, 401k, or Roth? Yes, we do have some Roth IRA's, but I try to max out my 401K every year, and I can't afford to contribute to my Roth after that.
You buy the gold plan and have a medical savings account. If you cannot afford it then likely you can't afford to retire at 55 anyway. Covering medical is part of retiring early. and takes planning and budgeting for it.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM

19,819 posts, read 19,910,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yes, if the amount that you receive is taxable.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 AM

13,890 posts, read 25,331,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yes, if the amount that you receive is taxable.
Thanks! That's what I thought.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
From what I can tell ALL income (Gross) counts against your "tax credit" subsidy.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:33 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Enter your data here to get an estimate: Washington Health Benefit Exchange
Remember that when you DO start pulling money from the 401k's, it is INCOME. That's why I don't qualify for a subsidy.

And any capital gains, dividends and interest, social security payments (even from a Medicare covered spouse) are also income for Obamacare subsidy purposes.

This is the best list of what is included as income and what is excluded that I've found. READ IT CAREFULLY. http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/heal..._summary13.pdf

Old 05-26-2014, 05:05 PM

39,277 posts, read 20,371,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
This is going to be such a big mess. It's essentially an extension of the tax code, making things even more obtuse. It's going to create all sorts of unexpected behaviors from people, just so they don't lose this medical insurance subsidy.

hikernut
Actually yes you are right. It is once again based on income not wealth. Someone who is wealthy and keeps their income low can get a subsidy. I am building my wealth so I am able to take care of myself but once again, government is making it harder by taking more money and increasing cost. My insurance rate almost doubles .

Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
You don't always need a lot of money to be able to retire. We won't have an extreme amount of cash, but we will have income from our property rentals. I think that the people who are caught trying to play catch-up, might be better off trying to figure out how to reduce expenses in retirement AND find alternate sources of income.

You could downsize to a cheaper vehicle, sell your current home and downsize,move to a new area with lower cost of living, or do simple things like cut cable. You could rent a room in your house, buy a rental property, or convert unusable space in your house into a rental unit.

In other words, there is a new reality when it comes to retirement. For many folks, their retirement won't look like the pension-funded one that their parents had. It might include a part-time or seasonal job to bridge the gap. It might include turning a fun hobby into a new part-time career. I think that the hard part is wrapping our minds around the new paradigm and finding a plan that works.
And yet we all fund some people who never paid a dime in and it looks like we'll live the same lifestyle in "retirement".

Old 05-26-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Concierge Medicine (direct care) is making its way into the middle class.
Over 66% of concierge practices now charge less than $135/month.

Pros and Cons of Concierge Medicine - WSJ.com
I've heard that Concierge Medicine will become popular but I asked the same question. "The ACA already requires me to buy health insurance. Why would I need this, too?"

The rationale: Many of the new health plans have high deductibles that most members will never hit, meaning patients will still be paying thousands of dollars out-of-pocket anyway—possibly even more than what they'd spend on concierge medicine.

So now, when I was happy with my insurance but will lose it come Dec 2014, I will not only pay higher premiums, higher deductibles and pay for Concierge insurance too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or