U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM

295 posts, read 315,380 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are thinking of retiring early. Have some savings that might help until 401k available. We have no pensions. Just savings and 401ks. What does it cost for Obamacare in Washington state if we apply? We will not have income but will live off savings.anyone from Wa state done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Washington Health Benefit Exchange :: Home
Price varies with plan, $170 to $1700/ month (and MORE significantly with income) The less the better!
Since you list SEA as home, you have far more choices and better price than rural WA.

If you leave company w/ 401k at age 55 you can tap 401k w/o penalty (If still with same company)

Can also do 72T (Equal and substantial payments ) many rules apply.

Do you have some ROTHs? (can pull out contributions from 5+ yrs, no penalty)

or/// get a PT job (I am working temp job internationally for 'travel benefits & HC). Retired age 49. Can always use more dough to PLAY with, but wanted (needed) to live internationally till age 65 (HC).

Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 AM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
Obamacare should be about the same everywhere. Also Obamacare does not cover everything or medical issue.
What you need to realize at that age you will need about $2 million dollars to exist on if you want to live a comfortable and normal long life.
http://www.debt.org/retirement/how-m...-need-to-save/

Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Obamacare should be about the same everywhere....
Get out much?

in western Colorado's Rocky Mountains, a rural area where outpatient services are twice as expensive as the state average. Fales recently saw his monthly premiums jump 50 percent, to about $1,800 a month.
Rural residents confront higher costs under Affordable Care Act | syracuse.com

It's a Left wing conspiracy to get everyone to move to town. (Rural vote does not count anyway)
Red State, Blue City: How the Urban-Rural Divide Is Splitting America - Josh Kron - The Atlantic

Healthcare or internet... can't have either if you live in the country.

YMMV.

Just be glad you are in Income Tax free WA and not Income tax free WY!!!~ WY is really spendy for retirees, especially HC.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
. What does it cost for Obamacare in Washington state if we apply?
Enter your data here to get an estimate: Washington Health Benefit Exchange

Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Obamacare makes retiring early a very real possibility now.
With subsidized premiums individual insurance actually becomes affordable.

Obamacare is definitely a positive for those that want to retire early.

Subsidies are based on income, not assets.

While I've got employer coverage I was curious to see how much it would cost me (early retiree).
But I didn't want to input my personal information on the government site just to see my options.
I did find this site which is just as good for finding plans/payments and didn't have to put in any personal info.

https://www.healthsherpa.com

Old 05-05-2014, 10:56 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Many are retiring because they can get subsidized coverage thru Obama care. Really no way to actually know if you qualify for subsidity positively unless you apply and give required information. Government sites are meant to keep the curious from jamming the system naturally.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:35 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obamacare makes retiring early a very real possibility now.
With subsidized premiums individual insurance actually becomes affordable.

Obamacare is definitely a positive for those that want to retire early.

Subsidies are based on income, not assets.

While I've got employer coverage I was curious to see how much it would cost me (early retiree).
But I didn't want to input my personal information on the government site just to see my options.
I did find this site which is just as good for finding plans/payments and didn't have to put in any personal info.

https://www.healthsherpa.com

Thanks for the site. That is an interesting and informative site. At this point I have no idea where I will be but I picked a few and checked them out. I dont even know what my income will be in retirement. Some of it will be pension some will be savings. It will be something to consider when that time comes. I have the option of taking my FEHB with me when I leave. Not sure how much I will need to pay but it is an option that is tossed on the table.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Thanks for the site. That is an interesting and informative site. At this point I have no idea where I will be but I picked a few and checked them out. I dont even know what my income will be in retirement. Some of it will be pension some will be savings. It will be something to consider when that time comes. I have the option of taking my FEHB with me when I leave. Not sure how much I will need to pay but it is an option that is tossed on the table.
Three CA programmers put that together in 3 days when they couldn't get on the government website to find quotes. Quite an interesting story behind that site.

Trio of young coders build health-care website in days - CNN.com

Old 05-05-2014, 02:56 PM

223 posts, read 274,361 times
For the most part, a couple earning less than $60 or 65k is eligible for the subsidy. I did the math a while back using the HealthSherpa site. Of course, the subsidy for those earning 60k is much less than the one that those earning 25k. If you go over the limit by as little as $1, you are ineligible for any subsidy at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or