U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,178,706 times

Advertisements

Hi gang,

I have a potential problem on the horizon, my husband who Has Parkinson's disease, has just heard through the grapevine that the company my Lay him off soon. That would be a catastrophe if it happens.

However what I want to know now is if he is laid off , there are two questions really.
1. If he applies for early SS, and gets severance pay will that affect his Social Security? like if he had earned income it would affect it over the $ amount limit.

2. If he collects unemployment will that reduce the SS payment for the same reasons?

I have been told that he can file early for his retirement benefit and at the same time apply for SSDI, if he is ultimately awarded the SSDI then his benefit would be increased and then switch without changing to the retirement benefit once he is 66.

This is going to be such a nightmare if it happens.

Also he juston Friday sent a request for an accomodation under the ADA. No word back on that yet.

p.s. We currently live in MA, would be immediately moving to WV if this happens.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:27 PM

come on, some of you SS experts must know the answer to these questions.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:57 PM

8,414 posts, read 9,165,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Hi gang,

I have a potential problem on the horizon, my husband who Has Parkinson's disease, has just heard through the grapevine that the company my Lay him off soon. That would be a catastrophe if it happens.

However what I want to know now is if he is laid off , there are two questions really.
1. If he applies for early SS, and gets severance pay will that affect his Social Security? like if he had earned income it would affect it over the $ amount limit.

2. If he collects unemployment will that reduce the SS payment for the same reasons?

I have been told that he can file early for his retirement benefit and at the same time apply for SSDI, if he is ultimately awarded the SSDI then his benefit would be increased and then switch without changing to the retirement benefit once he is 66.

This is going to be such a nightmare if it happens.

Also he juston Friday sent a request for an accomodation under the ADA. No word back on that yet.

p.s. We currently live in MA, would be immediately moving to WV if this happens.
The unemployment will have no effect on his SS disability, but the fact he is getting SSD will disqualify him from getting unemployment. He may have to file for State disability insurance, but you have to prove he lost his job due to being disabled. But you cannot collect SSD until the State disb runs out.

OTOH if he is laid off due to his disability, then you would have recourse under the ADA. For that reason, I doubt if his company will admit they laid him off, because of his disability. That would open them up to be sued.

I don't understand why you think this will be a nightmare....

Old 05-05-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The unemployment will have no effect on his SS disability, but the fact he is getting SSD will disqualify him from getting unemployment. He may have to file for State disability insurance, but you have to prove he lost his job due to being disabled. But you cannot collect SSD until the State disb runs out.

OTOH if he is laid off due to his disability, then you would have recourse under the ADA. For that reason, I doubt if his company will admit they laid him off, because of his disability. That would open them up to be sued.

I don't understand why you think this will be a nightmare....
If he files for his SS retirement benefits and files for Disablity at the same time, he should be able to collect on the unemployment until such time as his Disabilty is approved, assuming it ever is.

As to the Nightmare:
In some of my previous posts I have talked about our situation, He is now ill and I am also disabled and no SS of my own, almost never worked.
He currently has a high paying job, but do to unemployment in the past we used up all of our 401K money twice.
So now we have very little 401K money. We have no other savings, deeply in debt, and increasing medical needs.

We did buy a house in 2010 that we could retire to cheaply, that is the one bright spot.

but it is in another state.
If this happens we will go from current income to 1/5 of current income.

We didn't know if he could work another 2 years to FRA especially when he has to drive 4 hours RT a day to work.

It was still going to be hard if we had the two years, but we were trying to work a plan to help as much as possible to sort the problems.

So if they now move up to weeks or months from now, Well you can see how it is, and having to collect SS early with reduction just makes it worse since that is all we will have to live on.

Last edited by arwenmark; 05-05-2014 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 04:00 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,071,476 times
I know someone who was "laid off" and collected both SS and unemployment and had no issues. Disability was not involved in the mix however.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM

8,414 posts, read 9,165,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I know someone who was "laid off" and collected both SS and unemployment and had no issues. Disability was not involved in the mix however.
Part of the deal with unemployment is that you can't be so disabled you are unable to work. And you have to be so disabled that you cannot work to qualify for SSD or state disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or