U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:10 PM

512 posts, read 631,774 times

Advertisements

2014s Best Places to Retire: How Your State Ranks | Bankrate.com

Bankrate ranked all 50 states according to their cost of living, crime rate (violence and property crimes), health care quality, state and local tax burden, personal well-being and weather. The overall ranks of 1 to 50 go from best to worst. Below is the data we selected to come up with our state rankings for retirement

Read more: 2014s Best Places to Retire: How Your State Ranks | Bankrate.com
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook

They also have slide shows of the 10 worst states 10 Worst States For Retirement | Bankrate.com and the ten best states 10 Best States For Retirement | Bankrate.com

I'm please to say that my state, VA ranks a solid #10

The 10th-best state for retirement is also the one exception on this list. Virginia, the only coastal state in the top 10, received above-average scores for all the criteria considered in this ranking.

That means the Old Dominion State would be a good place to live for retirees on a tight budget: It taxes residents at a lower rate, and its cost of living is below average. Virginia also has a relatively low crime rate, and it receives better-than-average scores when it comes to health care quality, weather and surveys of personal wellness.

With that in mind, the state tourism department may want to add to its "Virginia is for lovers" slogan with another sobriquet: "Virginia is for retirees, too."

Last edited by djplourd; 05-05-2014 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
2014s Best Places to Retire: How Your State Ranks | Bankrate.com

Bankrate ranked all 50 states according to their cost of living, crime rate (violence and property crimes), health care quality, state and local tax burden, personal well-being and weather. The overall ranks of 1 to 50 go from best to worst. Below is the data we selected to come up with our state rankings for retirement
I am sorry they did not include average temperature in the rankings. South Dakota is the #1 rated state. It may have low crime, good health care, low cost of living and low humidity. However it is as cold as h**l in the winter.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,557 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Well.... yet another 'rank' ranking...

Nebraska? Yes, "It's the Good Life", but... Huge taxes and burden to their criteria... 'fixed income'?

Wyoming? Have they priced Obamacare in WY!. Obama hates WY and it shows in their rates! (But it is a great state to retire... and even greater if you need a place for eldercare (Pioneer Home)).

Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
Just another article with different rankings basis.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:05 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Default The problems with ranking states as a whole:

I am hardly original with the following thought; in fact I and others have posted it in other threads. The thought is that variations within any given state are large enough that ranking the states as a whole is nonsense. Maybe very small states (Rhode Island comes to mind) may be exceptions. Some examples:

1. Texas is a huge state geographically and has two basic and very different climates; if you draw a north-south line just west of Austin, to the east of that line is a very humid climate much like that of Louisiana, whereas to the west of the line is a much drier climate, sort of semi-desert.

2. New York state: living in upstate New York is a very different animal than living in New York City or Long Island.

3. California is also a huge state geographically with different climates and different population densities.

4. Crime rates: A given state's overall crime rate is meaningless in the sense of actually living in that state. It is the crime rate in one's own neighborhood that counts.

5. Taxes: In many states, property taxes are set locally, which means by counties and/or cities. In a given location, even fairly high state income tax rates can be trumped by even higher property taxes. Or a high tax in one case can be offset by a low one in the other case.

Rating individual cities for retirement, even with all the pitfalls connected with those ratings, is better than rating states overall, in my opinion.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:08 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,229,344 times
I'd like to know where the heck they collected their "Average humidity" from.

61.4 for California.

Hogwash!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:21 PM

8,195 posts, read 11,908,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Obama hates WY and it shows in their rates!
Please tell me that you are actually kidding and your mind is not really as warped as this statement would indicate.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:39 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,135,648 times
As Gen X and later the Millennial Gen hit retirement I am willing to bet that the "traditional" allure of relocating to some sun drenched cookie cutter place (with few other things to recommend it) will fade. These lists are ahead of their time.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 PM

174 posts, read 257,742 times
Interesting that Arizona is bumped up to 16 by "Possible Sunshine," as though that offset things like Violent Crime and Property Crime. At least there will be a good chance you'll be assaulted and your car stolen on a nice sunny day. Of course, "Possible Sunshine" could also be renamed "Skin Cancer Index." These sorts of ratings are always so subjective that they are comical -- nothing more than fodder for debate. Prescott was repeatedly ranked the #1 retiree spot in America by Money magazine at the very time that I was saying I never wanted to see the place again.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 9,269,502 times
Utah came in #3. It was an act of sure brilliance on my part buying our retirement home in St. George.

Well, maybe not, for those who don't like Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement