U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I will not because. The high school I graduated from I only went to for one year.
My 'real' high school I am not invited because didn't actually get my diploma from it
Even though I knew everyone there.
That doesn't seem fair. If you went there and you had friends there you should be able to go, diploma or not. I only went to our 40th, and skipped the 50th, but people who had to drop out were there. Most got their GED later on and were issued diplomas from the school. I was one of them. Had to leave the end of Junior year for health reasons.

I had a good time at the one I went to but the people I really wanted to see weren't there. Some had died and some have died since the reunion too. It just makes me sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
My wife's 35th reunion occurred a year or so after we married. We ended up sitting on the light rail on the way to work across from one of her classmates who recognized her. She was helping plan it and persuaded my wife to attend. She had attended her 10th but that was it.

So nothing would do but go to the 50th. I, of course, knew no one. My wife recognized many she'd known and even more recognized her from her acting and dancing in high school productions. According to my wife, the same HS "bigwigs" still acted like it. Those who had become wealthy let everyone know it and the cliques that existed 35 years before had survived the years and picked up right they left off. Those who were strange back then had stayed strange or became worse. Needless to say, we didn't stay for the whole evening. After dinner there was dancing. All eyes were on my wife when we hit the dance floor so we obliged them for two or three dances then made a quiet exit. It was easy. We lived in town. We didn't attend the breakfast the next morning.

The overall experience cured me of wanting to attend any of my reunions. I really didn't care for the school (a military prep-school) or the people so why bother. I was from California. The school was in Minnesota. Most of my class of 60 came from rich families and many were the sons and grandson of alumnae. I was one of the maybe five of us who didn't come from wealth. Not fun!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times
forgive me if I've told this story before.

At one of my reunions a guy who was big in entertainment management came to the reunion in his chauffeur driven limo. The limo driver was really nice and some of us brought him some food and then a few drinks and the next thing we knew (hehe) he was drunk and passed out in the backseat. When the guy was ready to leave the reunion he had to drive his own limo while the driver was passed out in the backseat. Years later we all had a good chuckle about it and the guy admitted he was a fool to try to impress everybody like he did. That must have been one of the early reunions when things like that seemed so important. He was one of the few who did not finish college and I think he was embarrassed about it.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,011,743 times
I've never attended any of my HS reunions, and I think I'll keep it that way.

It was a miserable time of my life. There were several people I liked, but they died in auto accidents and overseas not long after graduating.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,379,235 times
My HS class of '64 will be having their 50th soon and I don't plan on attending. Five hour flight back east, hotel and car rental expenses. My best HS buddy died several years ago. Maybe if he was still around I might have gone.

I was on a Facebook group for a while for folks who graduated from my HS. Just a small fraction of my class was were actually members of the group. For the ones who were members I quickly noted they kind of gravitated toward the cliques they were in years ago.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
I will attend mine if I am still alive.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,094,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
According to my wife, the same HS "bigwigs" still acted like it. Those who had become wealthy let everyone know it and the cliques that existed 35 years before had survived the years and picked up right they left off. Those who were strange back then had stayed strange or became worse.

Zebras never lose their stripes, leopards never lose their spots and human beings generally maintain the same personality characteristics throughout life.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 AM

364 posts, read 552,767 times
50th is coming up in 4 years. We had a class of 500, so the chances of anyone showing up who I knew or cared about are slim. I haven't kept up with any HS friends.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:44 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,055,913 times
I'm so glad I found this thread...I just got my 50th class union invite this week! So interesting to read everyone's feelings about these reunions. At first, I thought I would go, but now I'm thinking about it...I would need to fly 2500 miles back east, cost of flight, airport shuttle, hotel, rental car, etc. It would cost as much as a vacation to someplace I'd probably really enjoy. But I could see my brother and family for a dinner or something, it's been about 5 years since I've been back (although after my last visit I said I wouldn't ever go back except for a wedding or funeral). I also haven't heard from anyone since I graduated. Would it be rude/tacky to ask for a list of the people who have RSVP'd before I make a decision so I'd have a better idea if it's worth it or not. I think I've been away way too long. I like the idea of checking FB though to see if any of my HS pals are on there. Gee, why does high school still haunt us?

Old 02-14-2015, 02:09 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times
The organizers of my reunion said just about everybody wanted to know who was coming before they made a commitment. So you would not be out of line. Checking FB would give you a good idea as well. For what it's worth I didn't go even though it was 20 minutes away. I got lots of phone calls from out of town folks who knew I was too ill to go and that was fun. I also enjoyed the videos and pictures shared on FB. For about a month I noticed a flurry of FB posts back and forth from old friends with pictures, jokes etc and then it tapered off and now I rarely see any activity between or among folks except the ones who were active on FB all along.

We all enjoy meeting up or connecting in some way old high school friends but most of us are not anything like we were in high school and many would just as soon forget it. Once the reunion is over we pick up our lives and move into the future and further and further away from the past. That is how it should be...except for that one weekend every 20 or 50 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement