U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:19 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,533,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Most of my high school friends left to get our education or careers underway and while some still live in the area many are all over the world. Due to Facebook i know about the ones I'm really interested in. Our 50th is coming up. I never went to one till the 20th and it was fun; then I went to the 40th. I was just wondering if people still are in touch with (or want to be) old high school friends or if you think that part of your life was so long ago you simply have no interest.
Haven't gone to any; won't go to the 50th when it arrives; had a graduating class of 800 or so, with a handful I considered to be friends, and I lost track of them a LONG time ago.

I guess if high school had been important to me, some of the people I met there would have been important as well. It wasn't; they weren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 03:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,743 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Haven't gone to any; won't go to the 50th when it arrives; had a graduating class of 800 or so, with a handful I considered to be friends, and I lost track of them a LONG time ago.

I guess if high school had been important to me, some of the people I met there would have been important as well. It wasn't; they weren't.
Same here, I haven't been to any, moved moved state 20 years ago and have only kept in touch with 6-8 people and then only recently, by Facebook.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:33 PM

12,237 posts, read 1,698,236 times
No...have never attended one and I don't ever plan to. High school was not one of the best times in my life.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:21 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,853,604 times
Nope, I haven't been interested in going to any nor the 50th, unfortunately I never really had any friendships in high scholl and was pretty much a loner. My social life improved throughout my 20's, I moved away from home and only returned to my home town for occasional visits with family, I got married and raised my kids in another part of the state, and we have some longtime friends. It's too bad, I'm sure most of my old classmates are very nice people, but we have no fond memories to share.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:15 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,323,056 times
I attended my 40th. I will definitely attend my 50th.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
I had a notice awhile back for a 60th re-union planned. Then I found out that out of about 450 alumni only 7 replied, and all 7, including myself, replied not going.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,338,641 times
Went to the 50th in 2000; 55th in 2005; and the 60th in 2010...........looking forward to the 65th this coming Sept.
I am not looking forward yo the 1600 mile drive. Starting with of graduating class of 96..........the committee says we should have about 21 grade and 10 spouses. The classes 1949 and 1951 are invited to attend as well.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:47 AM

971 posts, read 1,187,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
The thing I found strange at the 40th reunion was guys giving a blank look and saying......" I honestly don't remember you "

C'mon.............38 kids in the entire class and the guys who said that was on the football, team with me ?

I think, in a small school, acting like they don't know you is really trying to say......" my life has taken me so far from here I have forgotten all you peons "

I laugh.
Yes Teddy, I can see that happening where they don't remember much. The same has happened with my 9 year younger twin brothers when I would refer to something in their childhood. I wondered about that a lot. The main difference in our upbringing was that they were practioners of the Health Care System while I had never had a shot or meds until I was 79 years old. I feel my brothers were part of the HCSs zombie crew. The tip off for me was when I went to the hospital last Feb. and while in rehab we worked on my "short term memory" exercises.

My wife and I graduated in '52, she had been on chemo for a few years and not knowing how long I would have her with me, we went to her reunions. It was the same city that I attended college so I knew many of the people. We enjoyed all her reunions. She passed on in '08 so I won't be attending any more as she was my ears and would repeat to me what others would say/ask me. I taught for 27 years in the school system I graduated from and have now been retired from it for 15 years. Most of the FB notifications I get are from former students so I only go post FB enough to show them I am still alive. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement