U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:22 AM

34,397 posts, read 41,499,470 times

Advertisements

I was somewhat of a loner in high school, i dont remember any of them and i'm sure they dont remember me and its 2500 miles away,, think i'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
I assume my 50th is/was sometime this year - but no one has contacted me about it. My class had over 600 students - and I haven't seen anyone I graduated with for perhaps 40 years (or more). The school is about 900 miles from where I live now. I have no family left in the area - and the area isn't a tourist destination I'd otherwise want to see. So - I'm not at all interested in attending. Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,121,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
An old friend gave me a " report" of it.

Out of a class of 38, 19 showed up.
( yup, I had guessed 50%)

(This)What surprised me was a few of the ones who did, never came to any of the previous ones and some who never missed a previous one were absent

My friend said it appears everyone of the 19..........seemed..... to have a good time
( key word="seemed ")
I recently attended (a couple of years ago) my 50th and had not attended one since about 1968. I had heard a few reports in the past. Every year at HComing one of the grad classes hosts a general, all years, reunion that is supported by the city and a lot of people attend that. I never had much interest, to be honest. I wasn't an outcast in school and was involved with a lot of the different classes of students and was considered great fun, likeable and pretty but, I can be kind of antisocial at times. My mother, who was very outgoing, would get onto me about it.

I have not attended the mini reunions since then. I do follow a few people on FB and that is enough. I guess I am more interested in what happened to people than interacting with them.....boy, does that sound cold. LOL.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
....snipped....Now all I have to do is drop 50 pounds, get in shape, dye my hair and look natural.
Thank you for the best laugh of the day !

Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I posted here earlier but I should have mentioned that there were only 10 kids in my class. So the class of '59 & '60 hold a combined reunion. Last I heard there were only 6 left from the '59 class and 5 left from my '60 class. So pretty soon a case of beer will be enough for the whole group.
Another keeper ! LOL. I wasn't sure I wanted to bother with this thread but, I needed this.......

Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM

8,984 posts, read 7,753,935 times
We did my wife's as it was local. Myself, I would not travel the 1000 miles to do only such but might consider if other reasons like visit family, vacation, etc.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,829 posts, read 54,503,450 times
Our 40th was last year, but I have not been to any of them. We live about 1,100 miles away and the people I was closest to don't go either, and are scattered about the country. We keep in contact some on Facebook.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:04 AM

8,260 posts, read 11,124,485 times
I have my 50th in July and I will go because I didn't go to any of the others. My class was huge (60) and we were in tracks so I really didn't get to know all 600. I don't do Facebook, bit I have already been cpntacted by some folks who are coming back for it and I assume it will be fun.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will attend mine when it comes down the road provided the people that are running it don't go overboard, which they did at my 40th. They insisted upon a sit down dinner, cocktail hour, dj, cash bar at a major Long Island catering hall. The cost was $100. I am retired now and am not interested in getting dressed to the nines to go to a reunion.
LOL, you are so right. My 10th reunion was held at the Salisbury Park restaurant/catering place and there was a picnic the next day at the park as well. The other reunions were held at the Hilton in Melville. I know that the 30th one (that I walked out on) was at least $100 per person. Same as your 40th: cash bar, cocktail hour, sit down dinner, blah blah. Exactly the kind of function I usually avoid at all costs.

I think LI'ers tend to go overboard on weddings as well. Recently I was talking to a former neighbor who moved to CA during the late 1980s but still has family here; she was saying how "there are weddings and then there are LONG ISLAND weddings" where it's expected that the typical wedding will include a photography team, a videographer, a professional makeup artist for the females in the wedding party, and apparantly the latest trend is to have an "after-party" at the wedding-related hotel when the reception is over. Good grief, LOL

Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM

10,510 posts, read 8,441,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will attend mine when it comes down the road provided the people that are running it don't go overboard, which they did at my 40th. They insisted upon a sit down dinner, cocktail hour, dj, cash bar at a major Long Island catering hall. The cost was $100. I am retired now and am not interested in getting dressed to the nines to go to a reunion. I am not talking about going in cutoffs and tank tops but the pictures of this affair on facebook left me glad I decided not to go.

The reason given??? You have to give people a reason to spend $$ to come back to LI for a reunion. They aren't coming back for a VFW hall reunion. Funny, I thought they would get more people if they down played it a bit and the people coming might be able to put the money toward a hotel room. DH and I have family still on LI so I could stay with a family member so lodging is not of any concern for me.
$100.00 seems extremely pricey to me. Even our fanciest past reunions topped out at around $50.00 per person, though there was one where the committee badly estimated and we wound up in the hole - fortunately, some kindly and well-heeled classmates donated to help cover the debt, and we've been a lot more frugal ever since (and got some good advice re investing from a tax and investments lawyer-classmate).

So this time, we're getting around this issue by blowing all of the reunion savings account (invested at decent interest, five years ago) on what's likely to be our last formal reunion, and by getting a really good deal on the country club, as one of our classmates is a member and gets a huge discount. So - cash bar, dinner, dance, band, Friday night meet and greet, Saturday morning coffee and doughnuts and school tour - should run around $40.00 apiece. Not bad - I think we'll all get our money's worth.

Of course, this means that if we should change our minds and have another reunion five or ten years down the road, we'll have to start from scratch all over again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement