U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Here's a question: When you went to your reunions, especially the later ones (10+) did you find that the girls who were considered the most attractive ones in highschool did or did not "age well"? ;-)

Because one thing I noticed when I went to mine was that the gals who at 17 or 18 looked like flashy 21's (to the envy of little mice such as myself, LOL) and were often rather, er, voluptuous ;-) .... really did NOT age very well a few decades down the road, LOL. Whereas many of the girls who were never given a second look in highschool often looked absolutely great in their 30s and beyond.
Just curious, why the focus on the women's changed looks, and not the men's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 AM

5,156 posts, read 6,349,020 times
I attended my 40th last year. I've been to seven out of the eight reunions and will probably attend ones in the future. There were almost 600 in my senior class. It is surprising that some of the regulars did not show up last year and some people attended for the first time.

Based on comments in this thread and other similar ones, I think some people don't attend because they are stuck back with negative memories of high school. My experience has been that HS popularity disappears and people end up talking to people you never talked to in HS. My wife and I ended up at a table with a guy I barely knew in HS, and his wife. We ended up talking until most of the other folks left.

The biggest negative of my 40th reunion is there wasn't enough mingling. The music was too loud, which made it difficult to carry on conversations. The other problem was the bar. The service was poor and the prices were too high for tiny drinks. Our best reunion had an open bar that was at the opposite end of the room from the band or DJ (I forget which it was). Most people made their way over to the bar and stood around and chatted even if they weren't drinking.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I attended my 40th last year. I've been to seven out of the eight reunions and will probably attend ones in the future. There were almost 600 in my senior class. It is surprising that some of the regulars did not show up last year and some people attended for the first time.

Based on comments in this thread and other similar ones, I think some people don't attend because they are stuck back with negative memories of high school. My experience has been that HS popularity disappears and people end up talking to people you never talked to in HS. My wife and I ended up at a table with a guy I barely knew in HS, and his wife. We ended up talking until most of the other folks left.

The biggest negative of my 40th reunion is there wasn't enough mingling. The music was too loud, which made it difficult to carry on conversations. The other problem was the bar. The service was poor and the prices were too high for tiny drinks. Our best reunion had an open bar that was at the opposite end of the room from the band or DJ (I forget which it was). Most people made their way over to the bar and stood around and chatted even if they weren't drinking.

........."the music was too loud"..

My friends who updated me on the 50th said that was a complaint of hers also and a main reason some left early.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:15 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
The band which played at our jr. Sr. Prom will be playing at our 50th. They went pro and have done very well in the area. I hope they aren't too loud as I remember this was a big complaint at all reunions. I know it will be videotaped so if I miss it i can see the video. I'm sure it will be up on FB not too long after the reunion.

I agree..the pretty ones didn't look so hot while the plain ones seem to have come into their own but a bit later. And most of the men looked better. They were little boys in high school but grown men at the reunions. And we all know once most women lose estrogen looks take a tumble. Men just get better looking as they age.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM

17,005 posts, read 17,327,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
One thing to consider, for those of you who are wavering re attending big-number reunions: If you don't go, you may find yourself with lots of unanswered questions and regrets later. Whereas if you do attend, it may be wonderful, or it may be a dud of an experience, leaving you either happy that you went, or chalking up the less-than-great experience as just one of those things from which to move on and leave behind.

But you'll never know - unless you go. Remember, your presence may be part of what makes the reunion special for others - you're not there just to be entertained or to absorb whatever's happening - you're there to be part of it yourself and to provide your own input.

(snipped)
I was very surprised at our 40th reunion to have several people come up to me who were obviously very excited that I had attended (I missed the 25th reunion, which was the last one before the 40th). Although I knew these people in HS I thought that they were more acquaintances than friends but several of them said "I was really hoping that YOU would be here. I'm glad you came" or "I missed seeing you at the last reunion. I have such wonderful memories of our times at HS". And they appeared to be genuinely happy to see me. It took me by surprise but I guess that my presence did help make the reunion better for others as well.

Even my old HS nemesis asked me to pose for a picture with her, I kept expecting her to poke me in the back with a poison dart when she hugged me, but I guess that 40 years really did mellow her.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
........."the music was too loud"..

My friends who updated me on the 50th said that was a complaint of hers also and a main reason some left early.
I attended the 50th but from what I understood, at the 40th, a band was there that was together in HS and after and boy, were there complaints. I guess they got in the groove and played so loud, most people left. The music was 60ish, a lot of CCR, Rock 'n Roll. I am glad I didn't go.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,541,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree..the pretty ones didn't look so hot while the plain ones seem to have come into their own but a bit later. And most of the men looked better. They were little boys in high school but grown men at the reunions. And we all know once most women lose estrogen looks take a tumble. Men just get better looking as they age.
Dream on. Men do not get better looking after a certain age. Just as women lose estrogen, men lose testosterone. The lovely head of hair you used to have on your head has moved (and grayed) to other parts of your body, such as it starts poking out of your noses and sticks straight out of your eyebrows like Andy Rooney. It's really spooky.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 PM

496 posts, read 520,782 times
I went to my 50th reunion and aside from seeing some who hadn't been to any other reunion, it was a huge yawn. I keep in touch with so few that an email could have done the job. Interesting that no matter how popular, unpopular, smart, not-so-smart, athletic or not a jock, everyone ages much the same. Can't get away from that.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 PM

7,862 posts, read 10,545,026 times
Notes and observations on class reunions.
Being female I assumed that our 10th, the guys would great and the girls not so great. Figuring child bearing etc. WRONG. As one of the guys who married a classmate put it, my wife has been going to the fat farm for months, spent the day in the hair salon and the mani and pedi. She shopped for just the right outfit. Me, I am lucky I got my suit back from the cleaners the same day, and I got yelled out that I should have shined my shoes!

The 20th about what I now expected, guys were balding much more so than the 10th women a little thicker around the middle (self included). All in all, women still better in the aging dept than the men.

35th (don't ask. math was not my classes strong suit). Men have definitely caught up with the ladies, in the settling into the aging process nicely and in fact many surpass the ladies, almost a distinguished description.

40th which I did not attend but saw pictures. Looks to be about the same as the 35th. According to those that went, the niceties of life as coming toward the senior citizen caption have firmly taken hold and the cattiness and clickyness of the HS experience is largely gone.
50th remains to be seen.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 05-08-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Dream on. Men do not get better looking after a certain age. Just as women lose estrogen, men lose testosterone. The lovely head of hair you used to have on your head has moved (and grayed) to other parts of your body, such as it starts poking out of your noses and sticks straight out of your eyebrows like Andy Rooney. It's really spooky.
I don't know whether we men "get better looking after a certain age" or not, but your examples don't do much to make the negative case. I don't know of anything which is more age variable among either sex that hair loss in men. By age 35 some men have very, very pronounced hair loss - that is, a chrome dome with hair around the sides. Others retain very good heads of hair into their seventies. I am 70 and have a slightly receding hair line but a pretty good head of hair still left.

Yes, with age we men need to keep our nose hairs trimmed. That is just part of personal hygiene and grooming, and I would no more forego that than I would forego applying underarm deodorant after showering. So that is not an argument that men look bad with age except among men who do not keep their nose hairs trimmed, and those who don't are slobs. Ditto for the eyebrows - one can easily keep them trimmed as necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement