Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Most of my high school friends left to get our education or careers underway and while some still live in the area many are all over the world. Due to Facebook i know about the ones I'm really interested in. Our 50th is coming up. I never went to one till the 20th and it was fun; then I went to the 40th. I was just wondering if people still are in touch with (or want to be) old high school friends or if you think that part of your life was so long ago you simply have no interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
I would have went but I was caretaker for my terminally ill wife and had recently re-located 860 miles away.

An old friend gave me a " report" of it.

Out of a class of 38, 19 showed up.
( yup, I had guessed 50%)

What surprised me was a few of the ones who did, never came to any of the previous ones and some who never missed a previous one were absent

My friend said it appears everyone of the 19..........seemed..... to have a good time
( key word="seemed ")

Old 05-06-2014, 11:28 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
I don't attend reunions but enjoy staying in touch with many classmates via Facebook. There were 83 in my graduating class and about 40 are on Facebook, which is a higher % than attend reunions.
Thanks to Facebook, it's easy to know when one of them is near or passing through my current hometown, or I'm near theirs. Then we usually try to meet for lunch.

So I keep up with ongoing events in their lives, rather than just getting a 5 minute status every 5 years at reunions.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:09 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Our 50th is coming up next year, and I probably won't go. I live a thousand miles from the old home town, so there would be considerable expense involved in getting there.

I did go to the 25th year reunion, and I had a good time. But I've been in touch with a few of my fellow alums on Facebook, and I've come to the conclusion I really have nothing in common with them anymore besides having been in the same French class.

It hardly seems worth it to travel so far, and incur so much expense, to talk to a bunch of people I don't know.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I attended my 25th and found it awkward to make conversation with people I hadn't seen in a quarter century. I imagine the 50th would be twice as awkward.

I'm still best buds with a school chum--and others I stay in touch with via Facebook...but yes, we've very little in common. Politically, culturally, interests, etc.

Most stayed in the hometown and had families while I took the road not taken...and that has made all the difference.

Not good, not bad--only different.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
The thing I found strange at the 40th reunion was guys giving a blank look and saying......" I honestly don't remember you "

C'mon.............38 kids in the entire class and the guys who said that was on the football, team with me ?

I think, in a small school, acting like they don't know you is really trying to say......" my life has taken me so far from here I have forgotten all you peons "

I laugh.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
My 50th was this past year and I didn't attend. I have stayed in touch with a handful of friends from high school throughout the years. What could I have in common with people I haven't seen in 50 years? In looking through my yearbook I don't remember having any relationship with them in high school, why would I care to travel and waste a weekend "catching up?"

Old 05-06-2014, 02:02 PM

741 posts, read 763,932 times
God willing ... I hope to attend my 50th ... in 2017. Though I attended 4 high schools, I would like to attend two reunions. I have not been in touch with any of my classmates through the years.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:12 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
I will not because. The high school I graduated from I only went to for one year.
My 'real' high school I am not invited because didn't actually get my diploma from it
Even though I knew everyone there.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:14 PM

730 posts, read 1,301,513 times
Mine will be in 2017 but I won't go.

I went to my 10th and it was a lot of fun because so many of our graduating class were there, and several of my friends from senior year. Skipped the 20th because of what was going on in my personal life at the time.

I went to the 30th but left in complete boredom and disgust within the first hour. I don't think there was even 50% of the number who attended the 10th; probably more like 30%. And the ones who did attend were all from the "popular crowd"... the sorority/fraternity/football/cheerleader set, which I was never part of and who in fact made part of my highschool life miserable with their arrogant attitudes (which it was clear they still retained after 25 years, LOL).

As I walked out the door of the 25th I vowed never to waste my time or money attending another reunion.

ETA: I still live within 20 miles of where I went to highschool, so the expense was minimal. I haven't seen or heard from anyone from my HS days in probably 12 years, maybe more. I don't use social media and really don't have any desire to revisit my HS days.

Last edited by Never2L8; 05-06-2014 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: correcting the reunion years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement