U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,392,811 times

Advertisements

Lots of Expats like Panama because of the EXCELLENT healthcare available. MANY of the Panamanian Doctors/Dentist are trained in the US and then return home. Also, still TRICARE availability for those that are retired military! One of the bennies of having bases there for so long.

Hope this helps!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:58 PM

787 posts, read 897,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
You're talking Chile, Ecuador or Peru (although healthcare may be an issue in Peru).
Actually, there are many more Spanish speaking countries than those three! While things are changing rapidly if healthcare is a primary concern, this site lists all JCI certified hospitals in the world:http://www.jointcommissioninternatio...ions/?c=CL&a=7

As you can see Lima already has two ( My YW played a major part in the first one) and I know others here are going through the process. But you will be pretty much limited to the major cities if you are experiencing chronic problems or have "bad genes" in your family.

COL will be a major problem in the future as the "middle classes" here grow and decline in the USA. The trend for the population to move to the Urban Centers has been going on here for quite some time and the prices for have already reflected that and some say the doubling or tripling of prices since 2009 are in bubble territory.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM

329 posts, read 477,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Actually, there are many more Spanish speaking countries than those three! While things are changing rapidly if healthcare is a primary concern, this site lists all JCI certified hospitals in the world:http://www.jointcommissioninternatio...ions/?c=CL&a=7

As you can see Lima already has two ( My YW played a major part in the first one) and I know others here are going through the process. But you will be pretty much limited to the major cities if you are experiencing chronic problems or have "bad genes" in your family.

COL will be a major problem in the future as the "middle classes" here grow and decline in the USA. The trend for the population to move to the Urban Centers has been going on here for quite some time and the prices for have already reflected that and some say the doubling or tripling of prices since 2009 are in bubble territory.

That you would retire to? Name them.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
That you would retire to? Name them.
Out of the 20 choices, I would only consider retirement in these 14.
1. Argentina
2. Chile
3. Colombia
4. Costa Rica
5. Cuba
6. Dominican Republic
7. Ecuador
8. Mexico
9. Nicaragua
10. Panama
11. Peru
12. Spain
13. Uruguay
14. Venezuela ( Islands only)

Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,597,286 times
/\ Obviously a list for someone that values Spanish language as the priority, I can't fault the first 4 at all, Argentina is a great place that most North Americans are unaware of, perhaps the best place that we are unconscious to, but the government/economy there has to be monitored. Most lists like this put Mexico & Panama much higher than this.

Cuba is a real wild card, I think Keith Richards will die before Fidel, he's just indestrucible, but when it opens I think there will be an amazing place to relocate as long as infrastructure isn't a concern to one.

It's true one should make a point to travel & have sex when young because when you're older these get put more into perspective in terms of our inevitable health concerns. Costa Rica or Bali may have beautiful scenery but if you have had a cancer scare being near Mt Sinai hospital becomes pretty desirable.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 AM

3,213 posts, read 3,206,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
/\ Obviously a list for someone that values Spanish language as the priority, I can't fault the first 4 at all, Argentina is a great place that most North Americans are unaware of, perhaps the best place that we are unconscious to, but the government/economy there has to be monitored. Most lists like this put Mexico & Panama much higher than this.

Cuba is a real wild card, I think Keith Richards will die before Fidel, he's just indestrucible, but when it opens I think there will be an amazing place to relocate as long as infrastructure isn't a concern to one.

It's true one should make a point to travel & have sex when young because when you're older these get put more into perspective in terms of our inevitable health concerns. Costa Rica or Bali may have beautiful scenery but if you have had a cancer scare being near Mt Sinai hospital becomes pretty desirable.
You just reminded me I need to be having more sex. Maybe I can incorporate this during my travels somehow...?

Old 05-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Latin America is a Paradise for retired guys. But be careful you may fall in love and never want to return home!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,206,796 times
Quote:
Latin America is a Paradise for retired guys. But be careful you may fall in love and never want to return home!
Too bad I'm not a guy

Old 05-17-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Too bad I'm not a guy
In that case if you make it to Boquete, Panama ask around for "Manuel the Pool boy".

Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,185,331 times
Quote:
I have a friend who retired from a major oil company to the Pacific coast of Costa Rica 25 years ago....He has a Villa on the beach with tropical fruit trees everywhere and he's right near a golf course for ex-pats....He is now 79 years old. He has always had a "private personal assistant/nurse" since he's been there. He looks like Hemingway, acts like Hemingway, drinks like Hemingway.
He told me this past year when I visited him he can live there on about $3K a month if he wants to (his SS check covers half of that) but most of what he spends is on booze and his personal assistant EXCEPT when it's time to fill up the gas tank on his 27' cabin cruiser...His Villa is paid for.....He says the Doctors there are very good ( US trained) however he rarely goes to them because they always tell him to stop drinking and carousing.
Costa Rica works well for him....and I love going for visits.

Last edited by Chaffeetrekker; 05-18-2014 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or