Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

I'm 35 and thinking that by the time I retire I may want to do so outside of the US. I want to make a list of places I'd consider and narrow it down so that every year or two, I can make trips to potential places to get a feel for lliving there.

For those US citizens that retired abroad, I have a few questions for you:

-Where in the US did you move from, and where did you move to?
-What made you decide to move there?
-Did you move there alone? Did you have family, friends, or know anyone there before moving?
-How long have you lived there?
-What were the things that were hardest for you to adjust to (weather? language? health care? political climate? food?)
-So far, what have been the best things about your experience?
-Overall, are you happy with your choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,948 times
Where in the US did you move from, and where did you move to?From NYC to Lima
-What made you decide to move there?My YW and I grew tired of a long distance romance.
-Did you move there alone? Did you have family, friends, or know anyone there before moving?Alone
-How long have you lived there?10 years
-What were the things that were hardest for you to adjust to (weather? language? health care? political climate? food?)Bureaucracy
-So far, what have been the best things about your experience?Love,Family,Food,Economic opportunity,climate
-Overall, are you happy with your choice?Very!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 AM

327 posts, read 568,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm 35 and thinking that by the time I retire I may want to do so outside of the US. I want to make a list of places I'd consider and narrow it down so that every year or two, I can make trips to potential places to get a feel for lliving there.

For those US citizens that retired abroad, I have a few questions for you:

-Where in the US did you move from, and where did you move to?
-What made you decide to move there?
-Did you move there alone? Did you have family, friends, or know anyone there before moving?
-How long have you lived there?
-What were the things that were hardest for you to adjust to (weather? language? health care? political climate? food?)
-So far, what have been the best things about your experience?
-Overall, are you happy with your choice?

well, first of all if you have a spouse or partner who does not want to make the move, and many do not, you will have big problems. No. 1 - get your spouse or partner on board or it isn't going to work.

Second, you have to decide what matters most to you: do you want to live around a bunch of other expats? Is climate important? How about cost of living? availability of good health care? When you answer these, the options start getting narrowed down very quickly.

Another one I found is a big one: how easy or difficult does the foreign country make it to be a retiree? Some like Panama and Philippines are very accommodating. Thailand is pretty good, and living there is very easy. Other countries can throw up many barriers that make it a hassle to try.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:45 PM

741 posts, read 763,932 times
At 40 I thought I'd retire to live in Mexico. At 65 (almost), the USA is looking damn good, in comparison. Health and income are key factors when making such a decision, followed by ability to adjust to new cultures and languages. I somewhat mastered the culture/language issues (for Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries), and my income/savings have increased beyond what I thought I'd have nin-hand/available 25 years ago. And then there's my health: I've been successfully (thus far) for prostate cancer, but I have two stents in my heart and I'm thinking there will be additional heart issues down the road. I'm not going to find a better variety of healthcare professionals and facilities than I have at my 'doorstep' in Chicago, so why leave here as my needs increase? Then, too ... I really love this city. I'm now considering maintaining an apartment/condo in Chicago but spending months at a time away traveling/living ... such as a warmer climate in the Winter months (such as in Mexico). It's good to have goals and a long-term plan. But it's just as good/necessary to adjust the plan as developments warrant.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:51 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
At 40 I thought I'd retire to live in Mexico. At 65 (almost), the USA is looking damn good, in comparison.
At 55, I was SURE I'd retire in Mexico, either Guanajuato or SMdA.
At 65, I'm satisfied to be retired in the U.S. and take yearly trips to those beautiful cities.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Where in the US did you move from, and where did you move to?From NYC to Lima
-What made you decide to move there?My YW and I grew tired of a long distance romance.
-Did you move there alone? Did you have family, friends, or know anyone there before moving?Alone
-How long have you lived there?10 years
-What were the things that were hardest for you to adjust to (weather? language? health care? political climate? food?)Bureaucracy
-So far, what have been the best things about your experience?Love,Family,Food,Economic opportunity,climate
-Overall, are you happy with your choice?Very!
This is awesome Thank you for sharing. Hopefully more people who have actually done this will chime in too...

Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
well, first of all if you have a spouse or partner who does not want to make the move, and many do not, you will have big problems. No. 1 - get your spouse or partner on board or it isn't going to work.

Second, you have to decide what matters most to you: do you want to live around a bunch of other expats? Is climate important? How about cost of living? availability of good health care? When you answer these, the options start getting narrowed down very quickly.

Another one I found is a big one: how easy or difficult does the foreign country make it to be a retiree? Some like Panama and Philippines are very accommodating. Thailand is pretty good, and living there is very easy. Other countries can throw up many barriers that make it a hassle to try.
All very important questions. I have no spouse, mate or children.

I think the most important factors for me will be cost of living. Also, mild weather and coastal or near the coast. I really want access to beautiful waters. Beyond that, affordable, accessible, quality healthcare is a must. A Spanish speaking environment would be great.

At 35, I realize a lot could change by the time I actually retire. But I figured now is the time to travel to these places to determine if they'd even be options.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:12 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
At 35, I realize a lot could change by the time I actually retire. But I figured now is the time to travel to these places to determine if they'd even be options.
Now is always the time to travel and explore.

No way to know what any place will be like 20-30 years out, so just go and enjoy without fretting about things like "Will I want to live here in 2040"? If you limit travel to those candidates, you're liable to miss out on all kinds of fun destinations.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Now is always the time to travel and explore.

No way to know what any place will be like 20-30 years out, so just go and enjoy without fretting about things like "Will I want to live here in 2040"? If you limit travel to those candidates, you're liable to miss out on all kinds of fun destinations.
Cannot agree with this more. One of the best reasons to travel is to see it before it is gone. Take Bali. Heaven on earth when I visited it ten years ago, Ubud especially. Just went back this winter. There are now tour busses; traffic jams in the center of the town, it has sprawled out for a couple of miles in all directions. Any Lonely Planet guide that says this is a quaint town of artisans is sadly out of date. There are many places you have to see now or they will be unrecognizable a few years from now.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
All very important questions. I have no spouse, mate or children.

I think the most important factors for me will be cost of living. Also, mild weather and coastal or near the coast. I really want access to beautiful waters. Beyond that, affordable, accessible, quality healthcare is a must. A Spanish speaking environment would be great.

You're talking Chile, Ecuador or Peru (although healthcare may be an issue in Peru).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement