U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 AM
 
3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
Reputation: 5402

Advertisements

yes to clover
no to dandelions


clover is a legume and thus adds nitrogen to the soil which grass uses.
Dandelions add nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,415 posts, read 5,136,795 times
Reputation: 7231
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

Most anything else can be done by a good handyman though finding such is a task in itself. The best sources I have found are personal recommendations from friends, family, etc.
This is my dilemma. In this rural area I've yet to find anyone who runs a handyman service. A few times I've hired someone to do small jobs and they tend to want a rather high rate of pay (15 - 20 an hour), in cash at the end of each day, so that they can continue to collect various benefits such as unemployment and food stamps. Then they disappear and I'm left trying to find someone else.

Friends tell me they have the same problem with finding help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I just looked up our city ordinance (no HOA) and I can let my grass grow to 10" before I will be cited by the city. If it gets longer they send a warning letter and then a second with a mow by date and then they will come and do it and bill you. There would be a lien against the house with additional fines and interest and fees until it's paid. They won't care if I hobble with a hanky or if I'm elderly. This seems to work here. The neighbors, and I mean everyone that lives in a 4 block radius, would not be so patient.
Curious - does your city actually have someone driving around and measuring the grass? Or does it take a complaint from a neighbor?

Reading this thread - I'm real glad I live in the county, and not a town or city or even a village
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Reputation: 16283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Curious - does your city actually have someone driving around and measuring the grass? Or does it take a complaint from a neighbor?

Reading this thread - I'm real glad I live in the county, and not a town or city or even a village
I don't know but my guess is a complaint. 10" is high - it would take a while to get that high and anyone that negligent would deserve a fine of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 PM
 
3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
Reputation: 5402
My neighbor on the farm has a 5 acre lot and it is all lawn except for buildings.

It used to get quite yellow until.............presto.....one trip with the lawn tracor pulling a rented sprayer .

Beautiful lawn.

I thanked him for being a good neighbor and controlling his weeds.

He was a good neighbor and kept his place neat despite not being forced to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Florida
19,801 posts, read 19,905,205 times
Reputation: 23213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
My neighbor on the farm has a 5 acre lot and it is all lawn except for buildings.

It used to get quite yellow until.............presto.....one trip with the lawn tracor pulling a rented sprayer .

Beautiful lawn.

I thanked him for being a good neighbor and controlling his weeds.

He was a good neighbor and kept his place neat despite not being forced to do so.
A 5 acre spraying of an herbicide?
What is it that's said quite often in the P&C forum? I've got my bowl of popcorn ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,581 posts, read 10,926,696 times
Reputation: 19215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Have you had dandelion wine? It's horrible - I doubt this tastes any better. The extra crunch would be all those bugs.
What's so bad about bugs? Have you ever had Quiche Lorraine but sustituted chopped eathworms for the bacon?

Save some money and save the planet. This book is free to borrow in Kindle format for those with Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Adventu...s=insects+food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,236 posts, read 4,210,290 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Curious - does your city actually have someone driving around and measuring the grass? Or does it take a complaint from a neighbor?

Reading this thread - I'm real glad I live in the county, and not a town or city or even a village
It makes me glad that my present (ditto for the previous two) home has tall, locked gates, and tall privacy screening. The idea of militaristic little idiots measuring my grass is not pleasant.

As for people subject to HOAs, I would suggest that you vote AGAINST anyone with a "leadership" background which includes military, police, or "education". Horticulturists, Scientists, Architects, Decorators, Artists... these are the people who should be making decisions in a nice neighborhood - not authoritarian imbeciles. For the bleak, Lower-Middle-Class kinds of neighborhoods you see Supernanny being sent out to, SUPERNANNY THE POTTER FAMILY - YouTube , I'm sure that a former Football Coach/Highschool Principal would be just dandy on the HOA Board.

But this whole 'Grass-height Issue' brings to mind, for me, a certain quote:
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." (Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1841)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:47 PM
 
3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
Reputation: 5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
It makes me glad that my present (ditto for the previous two) home has tall, locked gates, and tall privacy screening. The idea of militaristic little idiots measuring my grass is not pleasant.

As for people subject to HOAs, I would suggest that you vote AGAINST anyone with a "leadership" background which includes military, police, or "education". Horticulturists, Scientists, Architects, Decorators, Artists... these are the people who should be making decisions in a nice neighborhood - not authoritarian imbeciles. For the bleak, Lower-Middle-Class kinds of neighborhoods you see Supernanny being sent out to,
SUPERNANNY THE POTTER FAMILY - YouTube , I'm sure that a former Football Coach/Highschool Principal would be just dandy on the HOA Board.

But this whole 'Grass-height Issue' brings to mind, for me, a certain quote:
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." (Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1841)

Isn't it wonderful that we all have choices?

If a neat person buys a house between 2 junk yards, why should he complain afterwards?
If another person buys a house in an HOA and then complains about regulations .......why ?

Know what you are getting into beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,582,586 times
Reputation: 5692
YOu assume all retirees are wealthy and of sound mind. Money aside, we have many aging people here who forget or just can't physically get out and do the yards any longer. They may be afraid to hire people they fear will take advantage of them or they are confused. We have a good group of volunteers here in Sun City that will step up to the plate if need be. A single mom who is in good health does not have my sympathy, neither does her "10" year old. We have created a nation of victims and it is getting old....pardon the pun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top