U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,314,873 times

Advertisements

Our "new to us", Asheville, NC home, is 3600 sq. ft. The roof including 3 car garage is 2500 sq. ft. The roof is a 50 yr. metal roof that was put on in 2009 for $32,000.00. There is a very large range of types and prices of roofs. We are very fortunate that the previous owners kept all receipts and paperwork for the major systems, appliances, and additions, to pass on to us. The oldest appliance in the home is the dishwasher which is being replaced tomorrow, all other systems and appliances are under 2 yrs. old. The home is 25 yrs. old.

We have almost 2 heavily treed acres. We have very little lawn and a lot of flower beds, flowering trees etc. We have a gardening service. We could however let everything go natural, which would be consistent with 90% of our 12 home HOA. Our neighbors range in age from 24 to 92. We have no rules or restrictions on landscaping. We only have 4 rules. No more than 4 pets. No livestock. No trash piles or compost piles within a neighbors view. (very easy because all of the lots are multi acre). Any new out building must be approved by the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:58 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
Robyn is right about the hardscaping issue. In Maryland (which is one of the places I initially considered as a retirement location) they've instituted what they call a "rain tax" on properties. How much you pay annually is based on how much of your property is covered by a rain-impermeable surface (house, driveway, patio, walkway, shed, basically anything that doesn't allow rain to percolate through it). Or so it was explained to me by someone who lives in a Baltimore suburb; she pays a couple hundred a year at this point but I don't know how much 'hardscape' that amount represents.

ETA: $25,000 is about right for a new roof in our area too. It will of course depend on how many square feet and whether it's a simple hip roof or whether it's multiple rooflines etc etc. I had to have only a portion of a roof replaced about seven years ago (separate roofline from the rest) and it was almost $9000 just for that one section. Nothing fancy either: a CertainTeed 30-yr asphalt shingle, not one of the architectural styles or anything.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:03 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
The average footprint under roof here on our block - including ours - is over 3000 sf. In addition - Florida has lots of code requirements that apply to roofs (how they have to be attached - etc.). In addition - our HOA has minimum requirements when it comes to the kind of roofing material you can use. Even if the workers made 10 cents an hour - it would be an expensive proposition. Robyn

Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM

6,352 posts, read 7,833,116 times
Wow! Some of you sound as if all the old people should pack up and go sit on an ice floe and just drift out of sight. Some of those old people were the young people who brought you into this world and no, I don't think that fact alone deserves respect, but some of you have made some pretty severe judgments.

The lady who drives the Cadillac: From the OP I get that the church pretty much decided to cut the lawn on her property. I didn't get the impression that she came around demanding the help. But driving a Cadillac doesn't translate to "wealth". I have friend who bought a used Caddy at a really good price because the owner refused to pay to put gas in it. My friend was living in an apartment that she rented. No home ownership. And certainly not wealthy. And she needed the car to get to work and back. She was 63.

I'm 78 years old, and a retired home owner. I own this home because I worked my a$$ off to afford it and now that I'm retired, I still have to pay taxes, insurances, and upkeep. I cut my own grass. I have a kind neighbor with a snow-blower who voluntarily handles the removal. I drove my last car for 23 years. It gave up last Summer and my dtr-in-law found me a good deal so I have a "new car" in my garage. I have to pay for it. I don't spend a lot on clothes or shoes or other "fancy things". I eat well, but frugally. So, while some people may assume that because I own a home and drive a "new car" (not a Cadillac) I must be rolling in it and should refuse all offers of help in favor of paying someone to work for me.

I was a "single Mom" for many years and I learned how to stretch a buck. My kids knew that things were tight but they also knew that there would always be a meal on the table at the appropriate times and they never had to go to school naked. No one ever came to offer help then nor did I expect it.

If you resent offering help to anyone, anyone at all - old, young, single, childless - don't do it. Let them get a citation for not keeping up their property. It'll serve them right and you can sleep the sleep of the just. But whatever you do, stay out of the group that calls itself Christian, because you ain't.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,108,969 times
Default Hi are you asking me or the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So do you think its abusive if able bodied young people get same help? Likely the doctor and his wife financed many for many years; just a thought.money does not always equal entire circumstance either if you ever work with meals on wheels;its more than meals.
The elderly couple had kids that one of which is a Doctor. It just seemed odd to me that 4 professional kids of the the couple called Meals on Wheels to provide for their parents. I have half the money of a Doc and no siblings now and I feel I can help my parents with food. If I lost my job or they lost a lot of money I would ask Meals on Wheels for help.

I do think it is abusive to a system if able bodied people get a free lawn mowing if they own a lawn mower and can do it themselves. I mean if they contact a group to do it and they really don't need it.

However I can see a circumstance where a able bodied young couple might need a "red tent" to help them during a family emergency that might include lawn mowing or meal drops from a church or a group.

I am just against abuses of systems. At one point we were on WIC and we appreciated that. I had just given birth and both me and my husband got layed off. As soon as I got a job and he did too we stopped using the coupons. If we had been truly dire we would have used the last set but I felt that others were worse off and so I did not use the last set of coupons but threw them away leaving the money in the system for those who need it.

I am not hard hearted, just very fair minded and pragmatic.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 AM

9,760 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Robyn is right about the hardscaping issue. In Maryland (which is one of the places I initially considered as a retirement location) they've instituted what they call a "rain tax" on properties. How much you pay annually is based on how much of your property is covered by a rain-impermeable surface (house, driveway, patio, walkway, shed, basically anything that doesn't allow rain to percolate through it). Or so it was explained to me by someone who lives in a Baltimore suburb; she pays a couple hundred a year at this point but I don't know how much 'hardscape' that amount represents.

ETA: $25,000 is about right for a new roof in our area too. It will of course depend on how many square feet and whether it's a simple hip roof or whether it's multiple rooflines etc etc. I had to have only a portion of a roof replaced about seven years ago (separate roofline from the rest) and it was almost $9000 just for that one section. Nothing fancy either: a CertainTeed 30-yr asphalt shingle, not one of the architectural styles or anything.
We replaced the roof on our house in Miami in 2011, about a year before we sold it. It was a one story ranch house, I figure the square footage of that roof was approximately 3000 feet, and we went with the least expensive option for the re-roof; ie, 3 tab shingles- not architectural, at a cost of approximately $15,000.

For architectural shingles, the cost would have been about $4000 more. And we discovered, through sad experience, that architectural shingles ( which we had on the old roof), although they're claimed to have a longer lifespan than the three-tab basics, ( ie, 40 vs. 25 yrs or so), the Citizen's insurance company ( and I'd assume other companies that write homeowner's insurance in Florida) still mandate replacement of any shingle roof once it's hit between 17-20 years, or at the very least require documentation when a shingle roof hits that age, that it will hold up for three more years, or they won't renew a homeowner's insurance policy. And it doesn't matter what type of shingles are on that roof, or what their lifespan is stated to be.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:25 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,735,688 times
( regarding shingles) on the farm I had back in MN , the insurance company deemed my shingles had exceededthe insurance company's life span and thus the ...shingles.. were no longer covered.

My house was still covered
My home replacement cost basis would still be honored if my house was destroyed.

It was only the replacement of shingles by wind or hail that was not covered.

They never mentioned dropping my entire policy.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:44 AM

19,821 posts, read 19,916,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
(

They never mentioned dropping my entire policy.
Citizen's will.
If you have a roof over 10 years old, it must be inspected and found to have at least 3 or 4 years of life left (don't remember which).
For some of us, there is also no other company to go to so whatever they demand, you do, or go uninsured.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:52 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,735,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Citizen's will.
If you have a roof over 10 years old, it must be inspected and found to have at least 3 or 4 years of life left (don't remember which).
For some of us, there is also no other company to go to so whatever they demand, you do, or go uninsured.

WOW !

Does that insurance company also own the roofing company ?.sarc

Old 05-14-2014, 12:13 PM

19,821 posts, read 19,916,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
WOW !

Does that insurance company also own the roofing company ?.sarc
No, it's worse than that.
The government owns Citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or