U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The Meals on Wheels are fully prepared hot meals. We could buy our parents all the food in the world but they just stopped being able to prepare it and would forget to eat at all if is wasn't for Meals on Wheels. They did pay for it through a weekly donation. The service would only deliver to elderly people who lived alone/without a caregiver. That one service kept them living more or less independently for longer than they would have. We donated generously to MOW and still do.
So why shouldn't MOW charge people who can afford to pay - as opposed to relying on donations? FWIW - I will never donate 10 cents to any organization like this that is not need based. I'm not ready to subsidize people with money who are too cheap to pay for their own stuff. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,350,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Everybody wants to be an a protected species
Single moms are no exception
You have a choice about being a single mom but not about becoming an old lady
Pushing a hand mower dirt cheap used
won't kill you nor your kid
But an 80 year old ? Yes
What world do you live in? For most single mom's, it's no choice

Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What world do you live in? For most single mom's, it's no choice

There's that victim mentality peaking out again....

I do think the single mother status IS the result of choices made- at least in part by the woman....

Old 05-20-2014, 05:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

I do think the single mother status IS the result of choices made- at least in part by the woman....
and in least at part by "the father."

Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Did I miss the memo that "single mother" means having a child outside of marriage? Or are you stating that if a husband abandons his wife that it is the wife's fault because she married the wrong guy? If the latter, you might want to share your crystal ball.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Did I miss the memo that "single mother" means having a child outside of marriage? Or are you stating that if a husband abandons his wife that it is the wife's fault because she married the wrong guy? If the latter, you might want to share your crystal ball.
Naaaah, single women never have children outside of marriage, LOL. At least, not willingly... or, it's not their fault, because nothing ever is.....

And of course, if she married the wrong guy, it was because she was forced to...... so that is someone else's fault too.

I'd could go on about controlling one's impulses and going into relationships with eyes open, taking personal responsibility for one's own decisions and actions, and the fact that any such responsibility falls smack on the person who made those choices, assigning blame to others for the consequences of one's own actions won't fix anything and it won't make the person who does so any wiser for the sad experience. But I suspect that would be akin to smacking my head against a brick wall in this case.

Understand, I am well aware that there are many single mothers out there that do a terrific job with their lives, and bringing up their children, and IMO one can only admire them. They know and live up to their responsibilities in giving their children what they need, despite obstacles they meet, including deadbeat dads who don't meet their responsibilities- that's a topic for another time.

So don't even think of misconstruing my comments to mean that I am criticizing or condemning single mothers, I'm not. My criticism is entirely about your comments regarding your apparent perception of single motherhood = victimhood.....

Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hmmn, 10 inches....I think you should be cited at 9. Ten is unsightly.
There's a ordinance in the county I live in, stating that lawns must be maintained at a height of one foot or less, and once an undeveloped property is cleared, it must be as well. This is a county ordinance, there's quite a bit of rural, undeveloped land, and generally an owner wouldn't be cited unless a neighbor or someone passing through complains to the county, and maybe not even then. What I found interesting in the wording of this ordinance was an emphasis that "unsightly, or overgrown" did NOT mean that the property didn't meet the landscaping standards of the complainant, but that the grass/vegetation in developed properties had to be at least one foot tall.

I figure that meant they'd had complaints about too many weeds growing in yards.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
One of my favorite childhood memories is my grandmother sweeping, with a broom, her front yard.
Dandelions, weeds, POOF, you're gone. Anyone else remember this?
That's a first, I've never heard of anyone sweeping their yard! She must have had quite a swing on that broom to disappear the weeds, though. Dandelion heads I can see, but weeds?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Do you blame that on my grandma, who swept her front yard with a broom ca 1958? Seriously? How far do you want to go with that?
No, we can blame my dad, who wouldn't tolerate a dandelion on his perfect, well manicured yard. In fact, that's what he thought he had kids for, to make sure to root out any stray dandelion that had the misfortune to find its way into his yard! And it was an acre's worth of lawn there too, so it was quite a job keeping those suckers out... ( along with the Japanese beetles off the roses, leaves off the lawn in the fall, etc).

Old 05-20-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We're not with Citizens. We're still with State Farm Florida. We have "30 year architectural shingles" - but I'm sure we'll get a knock on the door from State Farm perhaps 2-5 years from now about roof replacement. FWIW - if State Farm Florida drops us - we may just self-insure. Depending on what we think of Citizens at the time (all the new fly by night companies have less net worth than we do - no reason to buy insurance from companies like that). Robyn
That's a scary thought, isn't it? I don't figure that State Farm Florida will drop you as long as you can remain a cash cow for them- ie, they can raise the premiums almost with impunity and you don't have any claims.

As an insurance entity cut off from it's parent corporation ( State Farm) to protect the parent corporation from excessive exposure from Florida policyholder claims in the event of a hurricane, you might find that State Farm of Florida too has less net worth than you do- at least on the books- they can always get more money from their parent corporation, and of course they get their reinsurance from the parent corporation as well. And nobody accounts for where all the money sent to them by policyholders goes either.

But apparently when these companies go to the Insurance Commissioner/FL legislature to ask for policy cost increases, they can cite their puny net worth as a rationale for the rate increases- wouldn't be able to cover the claims for a major windstorm, doncha know?! So State Farm Florida is apparently right there in line poor-mouthing with the other companies when they ask for rate increases.
We had State Farm Florida for homeowner's coverage ( without windstorm- for that we had to go to Citizens) on our house in Miami for many years.The rates went up yearly, despite no claims- and considering how they whittled away at the coverage, no likelihood of claims either. In the last two years we had that coverage, the rates actually doubled. Had to be, we were told, State Farm Florida losing money and all that.

What really gored my ox, though, was the year- 2011, I think, that we got a letter from our lending institution ( we had an equity line of credit on that house, the mortgage had been paid off, but we were using that line of credit to build our retirement house), stating that our homeowner's insurance company (State Farm of Florida), as a "C" rated company, did not meet their criteria for insurance coverage of the house, so gave us the options of either finding other insurance ( which left Citizens for homeowner's, too), or they would find it for us ( $$$$$$$$$). Or, which was the simplest and we all know this was a game, anyway, we could have the insurance agent submit a letter to the lending institution verifying that this company had reinsurance coverage from a financially sound entity, so that is what we did.

State Farm Florida is not writing any new insurance coverage now- hasn't for a number of years. I'm not sure we hadn't had enough of them with the house in Florida, anyway, especially as I realized that this company's bottom line is maintained separately from the parent company- at least enough to be rated as a "C" company, IMO puts them in a similar category to the takeout insurance companies (meaning I have no real confidence that any of them would stick around long enough to actually pay claims in the event of a natural disaster, or not procrastinate, delay, and generally drive policyholders nuts, in that situation). We have homeowner's insurance on our new house with one of those other companies, and that's partly for the liability aspect of that insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or