U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:00 PM

5,167 posts, read 8,691,075 times

Advertisements

Can't stand it, sorry.

However, there is a time to help but I can't stand when you know people are loaded and they complain, etc. Please - my husband - always says - what do you want to do? - take it with you?

(I'm talking about people who have so much they don't even know)

Then, there are people on their last dime who would take the shirt off their back for someone else.
Definitely in my camp there.

My FIL is cheap so I am used to all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,059,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Can't stand it, sorry.

However, there is a time to help but I can't stand when you know people are loaded and they complain, etc. Please - my husband - always says - what do you want to do? - take it with you?

(I'm talking about people who have so much they don't even know)

Then, there are people on their last dime who would take the shirt off their back for someone else.
Definitely in my camp there.

My FIL is cheap so I am used to all this.
I agree! There is a flip side: seniors who can well afford to pay for services but use these needs as an excuse to get someone to come visit.
IMO the best way to help them is to visit them and not offer or agree to do the work but instead offer to help them find and hire a paid service provider.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 PM

9,745 posts, read 7,030,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I don't know if this belongs in the Real Estate forum or the Rants and Raves thread, but it concerns retired people.

I serve as a volunteer on a committee that deals with enforcement of ordinances in a community that the majority are retired. What I have noticed is many on the committee ( who are retirees also ) seem to be of the opinion that if you are old, therefore you are poor and should be given special consideration.

When the elderly lady driving the Cadillac has her grass grow too tall, everyone states there should be volunteers or a church should be contacted and volunteers sent to help.

However, when the struggling single mother in the other part of town has her 10 year old push mower break down no one feels sorry for her.

She is waiting for the next used $25 push mower to show up in the want ads.

Our community has MANY reasonably priced lawn care people in business. That single mother sure doesn't have the $35 it takes to pay for a service yet gets no sympathy ( or free pass on violating the lawn ordinance )

The wealthy retired lady does despite having a house worth 4 times the single mother and a retirement pension that makes that single mother's paycheck look measly.

I am of the opinion when you age and are a homeowner, taking care of lawn, snow removal etc..." goes with the territory" and is the reason many people move to a condo or town home.

I don't mean to sound cruel, but when one is wealthy why is it necessary for people to find volunteers for them when they easily have the means to hire a service to keep them compliant.

(imho) I have more sympathy for the young ,able bodied person with the broken down lawn mower in a rental house.
I think your stated issue in your post here is the assumption that "senior citizens" are by virtue of their age, necessarily poor, and I agree with you that it's not always a valid assumption, nor should seniors always get a pass for not carrying out the chores involved in homeownership. I don't think they should, either. But it sounds as though your fellow committee members are looking at "able-bodiness" as the criteria for needing help, and not really considering an individual's financial situation in assuming they can or can't take care of their property. Perhaps you could point out to them what you've said in your post, or perhaps you have.

Perhaps both the single mother and the wealthy lady ( or anyone else whose yards or homes aren't up to the HOA snuff) could be approached, informed that they need to get going, inform them of the cheap community businesses that could do this work. IN the event that someone informs you of their financial difficulties keeping them from getting the work done, perhaps that's when the volunteers step in...

Perhaps someone could lend the single mother a lawn mower to use, or do it for her for a small fee, or a homecooked meal.... something like that?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I vote that the wealthy lady buys the young woman a new lawn mower. Then her son can make $$ by mowing the old lady's (and others) lawn.
There you go!!!!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM

29,774 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Should the fact that the single lady is a RENTER make a difference? I wonder that because of the last line in the OP.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,468,926 times
Maybe all those who are bothered by an unkept lawn should pay for a lawn service gift to help out the less fortunate. I notice that some seem to have a dislike for seniors in general on this, and other threads, so there is no need to respond to their posts since they have bigger issues.

I am curious how a senior's wealth can be determined by an outsider? The older seniors have much higher health care expenses so things just may not be what someone imagines. I wonder how many complaining that a senior might get a discount for something, are the fist in line with their hand out before the body goes cold?

It is all about humanity and doing the right thing as many are not fortunate enough to make it to old age. Everything that counts, can't be counted.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,735,077 times
Seems likely that the elderly person with the unkempt lawn still might need help arranging the lawn care even if she is wealthy. It would be nice if all of us would be a little kinder regardless of our opinions about the recipient.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Should the fact that the single lady is a RENTER make a difference? I wonder that because of the last line in the OP.
She may be, and in that case I'd guess it was the owner's responsibility to have the lawn mowed, and do whatever else needed to be done as far as condo association rules.

Reminds me of the one year I spent in a condo I rented from a couple who had bought it, then decided they wanted a house. The condo association president was a retired NY cop who from the looks of it to me, took his duties with the HOA much too seriously, and had way too much time on his hands. This was back eons ago, before I was married, and I was young, naive, and knew nothing about condos or condo associations.

I made arrangements with the owner to rent the place, I never spoke to anyone from the HOA, and apparently the owners didn't either. So when I'd been living in the place for maybe 3 months, the HOA president knocked on my door, and informed me rather officiously that I was breaking condo rules because I was renting the place and had not been approved by the condo association. He informed me that I needed to meet with their board, and pay a fee of $50 for that privelege. I told him to contact the owners about the fee, because they hadn't said anything to me about either an interview or fee, but as far as I was concerned, they should pay any fees. This condo Nazi got rather insistent that I pony up that $50, because otherwise they couldn't interview me and who knew whether or not I was a closet criminal who shouldn't be living there. I refused, and I guess the condo owners did pay that fee, because then they wanted to schedule the interview with the board.

That was the next problem, I worked long hours, had about a 3 hour commute each day, so wasn't there during the day. It seemed that during business hours were the only time this condo association could meet for an interview, so they tried to demand my presence at that time, and told me to take a day off work so I could be there. Again, I saw no reason why they couldn't meet in the evening, or on a weekend, but they refused to and so did I. The condo president told me I couldn't use the pool or club house without an interview, but as I informed him, that was no problem to me either as I was very seldom even home.

Well, I guess they decided it was ok for me to live there, but the condo prez started watching to see if he could catch me in any condo association violations. Since I hadn't had the interview, I couldn't use the pool or clubhouse. Apparently Mr. Condo Nazi decided that meant I couldn't even walk on the sidewalks outside the pool fence, or around the grounds either, because he'd yell at me for being there because I "had refused to be interviewed by the board" and wasn't approved by them.....

Seems I took my garbage out to the dumpster either too late in the evening, or too early in the AMs ( probably because I wasn't home at any other time), used the wrong kind of bags ( he had to check, anyway). Or an occasional guest I had had parked a little close to the parking spot line to suit him. They had a service that mowed the lawns in front and back of the condos, but the owners were responsible for maintaining the bushes and trees on their property. So Mr. Prez came along and informed me that the small trees in front of my place needed trimmed, and again, I suggested he contact the owners about that. I didn't hear from them, they didn't do anything and I think it was twice more than he came back to harrass me about those trees- telling me it was my responsibility to trim them. I knew it wasn't, really, but thought I'd go ahead and do it anyway just to get him off my back.

So, I purchased a set of clippers, borrowed a ladder, and trimmed those trees myself. I tied up the branches, put them in a garbage bag, and took them to the dumpster. In no time at all, Mr. Condo Prez comes flying out of his condo, yelling at me for putting tree trimmings in the dumpster- he demanded that I take them out, and take them to the dump- there really weren't that many, and they didn't take up that much space in the dumpster, but he really started in on me over that.

That was the final straw, I told him I was finished with his harrassment, I was doing my best to be a good tenant and a good neighbor, and in this case if he wanted those branches gone he could climb into the dumpster and remove them. I don't really know what recourse I had with this situation, but I bluffed and threatened him with a restraining order if he didn't stop the constant harrassment. He finally did tone it down, but by that time I decided to look for another place to live. And decided, as well, that I'll steer clear of condos.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,468,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Seems likely that the elderly person with the unkempt lawn still might need help arranging the lawn care even if she is wealthy. It would be nice if all of us would be a little kinder regardless of our opinions about the recipient.

Yes, I agree! I had a friend with polio who could well afford to buy her food but needed help cooking it as she was not able to stand at the stove for more than a few minutes. Her daughter has now inherited her million dollar home but didn't have time to spend with her mother while she was alive.

Another older lady I knew would ask me to come by while she was having work done as her hearing wasn't as good as it used to be. She wanted to be sure she was communicating with well her workers. Another time a realtor was pressuring her to list her home with him and he would help her sell her antiques. She didn't sign the contract he left for her, but when I ran the commission numbers through the calculator, she was furious. We drafted a letter to that jerks broker about elder abuse to stop the pressure he was putting on her just for his sales commission.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
You are coming up with many scenarios that I don't believe apply here. This woman has probably never had to deal with or think about anything called a lawn. All she needs to do is call someone to come and take care of it - if she can drive a caddy she can muster up a few $$ for a lawn service. She wants someone to do all this for her - she doesn't want to be bothered. Her behavior is not uncommon - it's a man's job - simple as that. Maybe she's looking for that man

Next thing you know she'll be in full traction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or