U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 PM

3,236 posts, read 4,210,290 times

Advertisements

I live in a very ritzy area, have lived in ritzy areas since we bought our first single family home, and gentrified several apartment buildings we bought, prior to that. Keeping things nice is important to me. But, the height of someone's grass could not matter less, to me.

Little ordinances like that exist to keep out the riffraff, more than for their own sake. Little old ladies driving Cadillacs are generally not riffraff. Such people do not make noise and disturb the rest of others, with loud mufflers or thumping sound systems. They do not roam neighborhoods, committing non-noise crimes. They are a resource - not a problem.

Maybe I'm prejudiced toward Old Ladies Driving Cadillacs. My first work-for-money, as a tiny child, was pulling weeds for one of them. I proposed the weed-pulling, and it gave me money to buy cornmeal (my own Mom - riffraff in the extreme - was a substance-abusing backwoods hooker, who consumed resources faster than the money came in). The Old Lady let me have her old Town & Country magazines. Reading those mags shaped my tastes, and broadened my world. She had a banana-yellow Coupe deVille, and later, a yellow Eldorado Biarritz.

I became a 'family pet', and was soon had what I considered a 'real job', riding on the big, padded arm-rest/console in the back of her Husband's black Cadillac Fleetwood Talisman, as he rode the countryside, collecting from his underlings. I counted the money, and kept the records. Like I said, that elderly lady was a resource - sent, if you ask me, from Heaven. There were no other jobs or resources for malnourished little girls, in that backwater community.

Anyway, that lady's yard was certainly not golf-course-perfect. But she made the community a better place by being there.

I see no harm from looking the other way, when the elderly cannot/do not conform to idiotic lower-middle-class standards of tidiness. We should make allowances for the elderly. And I will add that the people who destroy and degrade communities (drag-racing in their 'Muscle Cars', driving around with 'fart cannon' exhausts, 'thumping' their sound systems, making schools unsafe for decent kids with their violent bullying, doing drugs, selling drugs, manufacturing drugs, breaking into homes, date-raping, raping strangers, raping grannies during home invasions, invading the homes of their neighbors DA: Woman Strangled by Sex Offender Living Next Door | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS, playing "The Knockout Game", zooming around on cheap little motorcycles http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/wp...-bikers.jpgare ) ... those people are generally young and able-bodied, and capable of mowing their own damn yards -with borrowed weed-eaters, if necessary - I did that when young and broke. Those people who destroy communities and property values are almost always young.

The Ultimate Goal of a community should be that it be a pleasant and supportive place to live - for people in all stages of life. The goal of the community should not be that of raising property values, for the benefit of a greedy few. A nice place full of nice people will have stable-enough property values, regardless of whether or not properties are maintained in "pristine" condition.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-08-2014 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Discuss the topic not other posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:57 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
In the community I live in, they do have ordinances on mowing your lawn.

Unlike GrandviewGloria, I believe if you are going to enforce that ordinance you must do it across the board.

Don't give a citation on a street full low of low income renters but give a pass ( and sympathy ) to an elderly lady with an address of..........Lakeshore Drive.

I don't have trouble with ordinances...........just enforce them equally through out the city.

( evidently, some posters feel that is unfair )

Old 05-08-2014, 06:01 PM

and GloriaGrandview...............since you brought it here.........I found the incident of gays entering a Catholic church and staging a protest incidence to further their gay agenda despicable.

Also surprised that most gay posters supported the protest inside a church disrupting mass.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:10 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,027,476 times
Is it not customary for the owner to get the citation and the person renting? I know in the cities we have lived in, that is the way it is done. The owner will be the one answering to the city.

Where we live, most seniors are poor. Many do their own lawns until they can't anymore and when they can't do the maintenance or afford to hire someone, they sell and move into affordable housing. Personal responsibility has no age limits. Seriously, you have a house you know you'll have to mow the yard so?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:07 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Maybe all those who are bothered by an unkept lawn should pay for a lawn service gift to help out the less fortunate. I notice that some seem to have a dislike for seniors in general on this, and other threads, so there is no need to respond to their posts since they have bigger issues.

I am curious how a senior's wealth can be determined by an outsider? The older seniors have much higher health care expenses so things just may not be what someone imagines. I wonder how many complaining that a senior might get a discount for something, are the fist in line with their hand out before the body goes cold?

It is all about humanity and doing the right thing as many are not fortunate enough to make it to old age. Everything that counts, can't be counted.
Some of the folks who have commented on the topic are seniors themselves, and expressed their opinions that a homeowner should not get an automatic pass on his/her responsibilities solely by virtue of being a senior citizen. That it's not always a valid assumption that because one is a senior citizen, one is poor and therefore more entitled to not have to pay for services than a younger person who's lost his job or has become bankrupt through serious illness or something similar. I don't see that opinion as "disliking" seniors.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,419,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post

(imho) I have more sympathy for the young ,able bodied person with the broken down lawn mower in a rental house.
Women Fear Becoming 'Bag Ladies' Even When They're Financially Secure, Says Study

Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 PM

306 posts, read 337,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I vote that the wealthy lady buys the young woman a new lawn mower. Then her son can make $$ by mowing the old lady's (and others) lawn.
me too!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,936,550 times
Seniors who have the finances should hire people to do work around their house. If a kindly neighbor wants to help out occasionally, there is nothing wrong with that. But seniors who expect charity work and have the money to pay for the services are actually taking it away from people who need help and don't have the money to hire someone.

Seniors who make arrangements with church groups to do work around their house just because they want company should be volunteering in some capacity or join some group for their social life. If the church is aware that is the reason the seniors call on them for help, they should organize some type of visitation and include the lonely senior in church activities instead of mowing their lawn.

It's a similar situation to a food bank. If you have the money to buy groceries, don't stop by the food bank for the freebies just because you are a senior. You are depleting the supply for the truly needy. There are plenty of needy seniors, single parents and disabled people living on a pittance.

For those who sneer at single mothers needing help some compassion is sorely needed.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You are coming up with many scenarios that I don't believe apply here. This woman has probably never had to deal with or think about anything called a lawn. All she needs to do is call someone to come and take care of it - if she can drive a caddy she can muster up a few $$ for a lawn service. She wants someone to do all this for her - she doesn't want to be bothered. Her behavior is not uncommon - it's a man's job - simple as that. Maybe she's looking for that man

Next thing you know she'll be in full traction.
Not sure she ever weighed in on mowing the lawn. Isn't the OP that board members as board members were reacting differently. Did either woman receive formal notification of non compliance to react to? Perhaps the OP issue is that only one did.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not sure she ever weighed in on mowing the lawn. Isn't the OP that board members as board members were reacting differently. Did either woman receive formal notification of non compliance to react to? Perhaps the OP issue is that only one did.

You are correct.

The younger mother did .

The elderly woman did not and her name got brought up at our committee meeting as an example that we must have a list of volunteers for any elderly home owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or