Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 AM

31,680 posts, read 40,970,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkChickenLover View Post
That's kinda cruel, don't you think? I have a personal friend who became a single mother after a rape resulting in pregnancy. She chose to carry the infant to term, deciding it wasn't the infant's fault he had been conceived during a violent act. Is this a case of reaping what was sown? It is obvious to me from your writing that you are a rather judgmental person. Perhaps you've never been in a tough spot due to no fault of your own. A young mother who is abandoned by her husband because he doesn't want the responsibility of a family isn't someone who asked for it, either. Nor is a single mom who is single because she fled an abusive relationship. Please don't assume that a person is in a negative situation because they chose it. That reflects a narrow-minded point of view and doesn't show compassion -- hopefully you won't reap a lack of compassion for showing a lack of such.

As for the elderly lady, perhaps she is conservative....or perhaps she inherited a bundle when her husband died, or maybe she got a windfall in a lawsuit. You don't know how she got the money; nor do you know how or what she spends. It seems you spend a lot of time assuming things. That can be dangerous, you know. People could do the same thing with you, and it could end up being a negative assumption they pass on you as well.

I hope not.
Another possible way she got the money is that she was well educated, had a high paying career and was a shrewd investor while at the same time enjoying life and spending along with investing. The reality is that as you so accurately note with many forum post we really know little about the poster or their anecdotal postings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:44 AM

While this discussion is focused on a limited application of age v income status in a neighborhood issue. There is a broader question regarding age v income benefits. Should wealthy seniors get restaurant and shopping discounts while the poor might not? All kinds of related question regarding the special treatment seniors often get. If the elderly lady were limited income should she be treated the same as the limited income younger woman? Is the core issue for the HOA board to decide one of income or age?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:56 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
When you hobble out to the front of your house in knee-high grass and wave your hankie

I can hobble and I have a hankie and many would call me elderly (not to my face) but I would be doing the jail house rock long before the grass hit my knees.

Now, I'm still waiting for these volunteers - I have an appointment at the beauty parlor. Then I will sit on my fanny and do nothing or sit at the computer - so you see, I don't have time to mow the lawn. Besides, it isn't very ladylike and it's far beneath me. I have never had to be bothered with that before so I shouldn't have to be bothered now. With all the boomers, I hope there are a lot of volunteers.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
I agree and everything was fine till the OP mentioned the single mother and implied she was unworthy of help if she needed it. Truth be told, many single mothers can well afford lawn care.

I hate to get defensive, but please point out where I ever stated that the single mother was........"unworthy of help if she needed it "

I am a " big boy" so when I start a new thread I expect to get some feedback from people who disagree. ( goes with the territory)

However, please don't debate my original post by putting words in my mouth that weren't there.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:27 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Everybody wants to be an a protected species
Single moms are no exception
You have a choice about being a single mom but not about becoming an old lady
Pushing a hand mower dirt cheap used
won't kill you nor your kid
But an 80 year old ? Yes

Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Everybody wants to be an a protected species
Single moms are no exception
You have a choice about being a single mom but not about becoming an old lady
Pushing a hand mower dirt cheap used
won't kill you nor your kid
But an 80 year old ? Yes
So as a neighborhood ages does it risk falling in disrepair? A very legitimate challenge with our aging population

Old 05-10-2014, 09:09 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So as a neighborhood ages does it risk falling in disrepair? A very legitimate challenge with our aging population
Some people in our community have sold their house and moved to a townhome.

We also have probably the most people per capita involved in a lawn care business.
Scarcity of jobs, mostly retired folk, and some people being only part time residents have caused this and thus I doubt our community will fall into disarray .

Also helps to enforce the ordinances that are on the books.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:16 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
Quote:
When you hobble out to the front of your house in knee-high grass and wave your hankie
love the visual! I see Shirley MacLaine, a la her role as the rich, entitled shrew in Bernie.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM

14,888 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I have a lot of chores here I don't want to be bothered with - so when can I expect someone to come and do them for me?
LOL, send 'em along my way when they get finished with your chores, eh?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM

14,888 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
While this discussion is focused on a limited application of age v income status in a neighborhood issue. There is a broader question regarding age v income benefits. Should wealthy seniors get restaurant and shopping discounts while the poor might not? All kinds of related question regarding the special treatment seniors often get. If the elderly lady were limited income should she be treated the same as the limited income younger woman? Is the core issue for the HOA board to decide one of income or age?
You got a point there, IMO. Although as a senior I'm not inclined to turn down those senior discounts when they come along, I know I don't really need the discount, but like most other people I like a bargain. Guess means-tested discounts to anyone who qualifies in restaurants, theatres, or stores on certain days, would probably be a little strange.

But then, I know of some stores ( Beall's Outlets) that offer senior (over 50) discounts on one day, and a discount to folks under 50 on another day- just a marketing practice, I guess, to make everyone feel like they're being treated specially by the store.

And then there are the family restaurants that offer "kids eat free" nights, so it's not just the seniors who always get discounts.

As for means-tested considerations in regards to HOA boards, local ordinances, you name it, IMO those considerations should be across the board, age-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement