Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 01:31 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,919,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Next time place a call to the Board's attorney. The Board does not have the legal authority to randomly pick and choose who receives a citation. Your Board has a duty to enforce the HOA's regulations as written. Drafting a list of volunteers to assist elderly homeowners is one thing (no problem), but you MUST enforce the issuance of citations or granting of variances in accordance with the regulations. Do the regulations state that those over a certain age are not required to abide by the regulations? I don't think so.
Bada Bing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,919,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I don't know if this belongs in the Real Estate forum or the Rants and Raves thread, but it concerns retired people.

I serve as a volunteer on a committee that deals with enforcement of ordinances in a community that the majority are retired. What I have noticed is many on the committee ( who are retirees also ) seem to be of the opinion that if you are old, therefore you are poor and should be given special consideration.

When the elderly lady driving the Cadillac has her grass grow too tall, everyone states there should be volunteers or a church should be contacted and volunteers sent to help.

However, when the struggling single mother in the other part of town has her 10 year old push mower break down no one feels sorry for her.

She is waiting for the next used $25 push mower to show up in the want ads.

Our community has MANY reasonably priced lawn care people in business. That single mother sure doesn't have the $35 it takes to pay for a service yet gets no sympathy ( or free pass on violating the lawn ordinance )

The wealthy retired lady does despite having a house worth 4 times the single mother and a retirement pension that makes that single mother's paycheck look measly.

I am of the opinion when you age and are a homeowner, taking care of lawn, snow removal etc..." goes with the territory" and is the reason many people move to a condo or town home.

I don't mean to sound cruel, but when one is wealthy why is it necessary for people to find volunteers for them when they easily have the means to hire a service to keep them compliant.

(imho) I have more sympathy for the young ,able bodied person with the broken down lawn mower in a rental house.
Well I guess the answer to your first question was not this forum.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:57 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,192,862 times
Quote:
I don't know if this belongs in the Real Estate forum or the Rants and Raves thread, but it concerns retired people.

I serve as a volunteer on a committee that deals with enforcement of ordinances in a community that the majority are retired. What I have noticed is many on the committee ( who are retirees also ) seem to be of the opinion that if you are old, therefore you are poor and should be given special consideration.

When the elderly lady driving the Cadillac has her grass grow too tall, everyone states there should be volunteers or a church should be contacted and volunteers sent to help.

However, when the struggling single mother in the other part of town has her 10 year old push mower break down no one feels sorry for her.

She is waiting for the next used $25 push mower to show up in the want ads.

Our community has MANY reasonably priced lawn care people in business. That single mother sure doesn't have the $35 it takes to pay for a service yet gets no sympathy ( or free pass on violating the lawn ordinance )

The wealthy retired lady does despite having a house worth 4 times the single mother and a retirement pension that makes that single mother's paycheck look measly.

I am of the opinion when you age and are a homeowner, taking care of lawn, snow removal etc..." goes with the territory" and is the reason many people move to a condo or town home.

I don't mean to sound cruel, but when one is wealthy why is it necessary for people to find volunteers for them when they easily have the means to hire a service to keep them compliant.

(imho) I have more sympathy for the young ,able bodied person with the broken down lawn mower in a rental house.
I think they forget what a dollar is worth nowadays. My elderly neighbor (dr's widow) wanted to pay 5 dollars to have someone weed her flowerbeds. She didn't know why she had no takers.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:47 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,844,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I think they forget what a dollar is worth nowadays. My elderly neighbor (dr's widow) wanted to pay 5 dollars to have someone weed her flowerbeds. She didn't know why she had no takers.
Yep, some elderly people are quite out of touch with present-day costs of things. About six months ago I took a long-time friend of mine, age 79, to eat at a local Mexican restaurant where beer is $2.75 a bottle, including a slew of imported Mexican beers such as Corona. And this is the price all day every day, not just a happy hour price. I was dumbfounded when he remarked how expensive that was! He had quit drinking entirely many, many years ago and was displaying a reaction from 30 years ago, i.e., living in a time warp at least as far as beer prices were concerned. I'm not sure if I succeeded in convincing him that a ballpark price for a beer in a restaurant is around $4, and more in high-end places.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,912,763 times
Quote:
I hate to get defensive, but please point out where I ever stated that the single mother was........"unworthy of help if she needed it "

I am a " big boy" so when I start a new thread I expect to get some feedback from people who disagree. ( goes with the territory)

However, please don't debate my original post by putting words in my mouth that weren't there.

My post (#59) was in reference to post #10 on this thread.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I agree and everything was fine till the OP mentioned the single mother and implied she was unworthy of help if she needed it. Truth be told, many single mothers can well afford lawn care.
Quote:
I hate to get defensive, but please point out where I ever stated that the single mother was........"unworthy of help if she needed it "

I am a " big boy" so when I start a new thread I expect to get some feedback from people who disagree. ( goes with the territory)

However, please don't debate my original post by putting words in my mouth that weren't there.
Quote:
My post (#59) was in reference to post #10 on this thread.
That's a strange apology.

You specifically accused the OP of implying that the single mother was unworthy of help and in your defense you state that your post was in reference to post #10 on this thread. The problem, of course, is that post #10 wasn't written by the OP. It really shouldn't be all that difficult to compose a simply apology that says I'm sorry, I made a mistake.

Care to try again?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:38 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This thread is another example of why I don't hang out in this forum very much anymore. It's hateful. Why a poor, struggling single mother, whether she is divorced, widowed, or "got in trouble" as we used to say, isn't worthy of some human kindness is beyond me. Even if she had the child/ren out of wedlock, this is not 1950 when she would have been considered a pariah. Let's see, in the 1950s in the South, black kids were not allowed to ride the school bus. This thread reminds me of that mindset.
There's only one poster who's made a derogatory comment about the single mother and that poster is the board's resident racist. Are you really surprised that he has other views that are straight out of the 1950s?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's a strange apology.

You specifically accused the OP of implying that the single mother was unworthy of help and in your defense you state that your post was in reference to post #10 on this thread. The problem, of course, is that post #10 wasn't written by the OP. It really shouldn't be all that difficult to compose a simply apology that says I'm sorry, I made a mistake.

Care to try again?
Are you the resident CD police?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Teddy, please ignore my remarks. They came out of confusion around too many issues dumped into your thread. I think many poor comments were made including mine (and including yours: reference to gays in church).

What I suggested in post #82 should, in my simple minded opinion, solve your grievance:

I suggest that your HOA send around a notice to any homes that have knee-high grass stating:

Our community members want to see well-cared-for property. If you cannot afford to trim your lawn and shrubs, please fill out the application below for assistance, explaining your circumstances.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,531,429 times
Quote:
I suggest that your HOA send around a notice to any homes that have knee-high grass stating:

Our community members want to see well-cared-for property. If you cannot afford to trim your lawn and shrubs, please fill out the application below for assistance, explaining your circumstances.
It costs nothing for people who do it themselves; hand mowers don't break. The only legitimate reason not to confom would be the infirmities of age. However, some seem to be insinuating that this trollop deserves help because she presumably needs time for drugs, alcohol, and illicit sex. She neeeds a flogging. Taxpayers are already maintaining her in lavish splendor. If she refuses to do this little bit let this woman and her spawn move to the benighted warrens of the foulest regions where they can be in the company of their kind.

Let the persecution of honorable ladies and gentlemen cease. Asking a dignified but infirm lady to explain herself and beg for alms is an outrage. Thankfully, most of this committee have the honor and wisdom to act in a virtuous manner. The OP would do well to learn from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement