Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
and in least at part by "the father."
Of course! About half, I'd say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
No, we can blame my dad, who wouldn't tolerate a dandelion on his perfect, well manicured yard. In fact, that's what he thought he had kids for, to make sure to root out any stray dandelion that had the misfortune to find its way into his yard! And it was an acre's worth of lawn there too, so it was quite a job keeping those suckers out... ( along with the Japanese beetles off the roses, leaves off the lawn in the fall, etc).
Interesting how few folks use their property in ways other than to grow food, thinking others are judging them by their pristine lawns. Cannot imagine having an acre of nothing but manicured grass, and not a dandelion to be found. The other day my 15-mo-old grandtwins were running around the yard picking the bright yellow dandelions, so pretty in meadows and yards, and I ran around after them telling them to stop.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Interesting how few folks use their property in ways other than to grow food, thinking others are judging them by their pristine lawns. Cannot imagine having an acre of nothing but manicured grass, and not a dandelion to be found. The other day my 15-mo-old grandtwins were running around the yard picking the bright yellow dandelions, so pretty in meadows and yards, and I ran around after them telling them to stop.
Egad and I thought my neighbors were bad. Seriously, I know that folks with pristine lawns hear about it and get complements from neighbors and folks just walking by. Not sure those with ummmm lets say not pristine lawns really know what folks think about theirs. lots of folks like corner lots so they can showcase their lawns.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:

Here's a picture of my boyhood home. The grass looks green and is of a normal height as it was fifty to sixty years ago when I lived there. Our grass was a mixture of Kentucky Blue and Crab ; Dandelions were pleasing harbingers of summer. I much preferred the driveway when I lived there; it had two strips of cracked concrete over a mixture of soil with a bit of gravel.

I don't recall any manicured lawns in the town. I doubt that Frederick Law Olmsted who designed the place would have liked that sort of thing. In fact, lawns of that sort seemed confined to the ticky-tacky stuff in the newer cookie-cutter suburbs of the west suburban Chicago area, probably then as today in the yards of the sort who can't distinguish the difference between compliment and complement.

Today, I have natural landscaping. My place is in a border area of short grass prairie and sagebrush desert. I do get a few dandelions and all sorts of wildflowers My favorite is the magnificent but short-lived (just a few days) prickly pear. The flowers are nearly three inches across.

Sagebrush

Those who eat sagebrush: Pronghorn antelope is the only species.

Nietzshe was dead wrong; art is not superior to Nature. An unmanicured lawn is at least interesting, but don't you wish you could go out your door and see pronghorns.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:39 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
In one apartment complex I lived in the tenants get together and made management stop spraying with poisons to control the dandelions. These people had kids and cared a lot more about their kids than they cared about a uniformly green and boring lawn. It was great that they won! And the grass looked fine, dandelions and all.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:38 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Egad and I thought my neighbors were bad. Seriously, I know that folks with pristine lawns hear about it and get complements from neighbors and folks just walking by. Not sure those with ummmm lets say not pristine lawns really know what folks think about theirs. lots of folks like corner lots so they can showcase their lawns.
It would be a sad day if a pristine lawn were one of the primary things on my spring-summer agenda. It tells neighbors "See how meticulous I am." That said, around public and private buildings the lawn should be perfect. But outside of downright "overgrown," I love home sweet home....porches, little violets in the lawn, a dandelion here and there, or those minions of white flowers that spread. I guess I prefer New England and Missouri farmhouse-type places, lilac and wisteria and dandelion and all the stuff others would rout out... with bees.
Attached Thumbnails
elderly  home owners-images.jpeg  

Old 05-21-2014, 05:58 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
It would be a sad day if a pristine lawn were one of the primary things on my spring-summer agenda. It tells neighbors "See how meticulous I am." That said, around public and private buildings the lawn should be perfect. But outside of downright "overgrown," I love home sweet home....porches, little violets in the lawn, a dandelion here and there, or those minions of white flowers that spread. I guess I prefer New England and Missouri farmhouse-type places, lilac and wisteria and dandelion and all the stuff others would rout out... with bees.
There are plants especially if well maintained in planting areas to attract bees, butterflies etc oh yeah and hummingbirds. It isn't about personally projecting being meticulous it is to many about curb appeal.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There are plants especially if well maintained in planting areas to attract bees, butterflies etc oh yeah and hummingbirds. It isn't about personally projecting being meticulous it is to many about curb appeal.
For me there's a happy medium. When I think of perfectly manicured lawns, I think of houses back in the '50s, all identical in suburbia, same house, same lawn, same same same. I like a bit of creativity and interest. I know a lot of men love their perfectly trimmed green lawns though.

When I still had my "real" house, pre-retirement, we bought organic products and the lawn stayed nice. In fact, it was a nicer color green than the lawn of the guy next store who was a slave to his lawn and used expensive chemicals. His lawn was a rather fake shade of blue-green.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 AM

This isn't my yard but I think it's gorgeous, dandelions and all.

For laughs, I should show a photo of my current "lawn" no, it was not a lawn-- area of dried out straw with weeds, when we first moved here. Anything is better than that. It's by the beach though and it's hard to grow anything here. We have improved it but it's still not a lawn. Different strokes, no one cares that much here--it's the beach.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This isn't my yard but I think it's gorgeous, dandelions and all.

For laughs, I should show a photo of my current "lawn" no, it was not a lawn-- area of dried out straw with weeds, when we first moved here. Anything is better than that. It's by the beach though and it's hard to grow anything here. We have improved it but it's still not a lawn. Different strokes, no one cares that much here--it's the beach.
That's a real roll-around-in-the-grass kind of place whether you're human or canine.

I'll admit that I'd like to have a lawn like that in my backyard. Spring is nice back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement