U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Actually she will not get half his age 66 benefit since he filed early. she gets the difference between her full and half his full added to her own early benefit . it is actually less than 1/2.

so my full would be 30k , marilyns full is 11k

,1/2 mine is 15k , she is collecting an early benefit of 8500.00.

we take my 15k minus her 11k full benefit and that leaves a 4k difference which gets added to her 8500.00 and that is 12,500....... 1/2 would have been 15k if she filed at fra so because she filed early she gets 12,500 which is less than 1/2.-

as far as survivor benefits she gets his actual early benefit less another penalty if she herself files early.
My wife filed at 62 and I took spousal at 66 and got half her age 66 benefit. When I applied and spoke with the claims office that is what they said would happen and it did. If I ever get a letter wanting a clawback I will let you know. I am not even sure if your response is to the scenario I was referencing. Since as I noted I am waiting til 70 that is the survivor benefit he gets. If you want to argue find someone else, if you need to be right at least respond to the same scenario presented.

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-09-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 AM

71,517 posts, read 71,694,121 times
at fra there are 2 options .

my wife filed at 62 and while I can wait until 70 we have 2 choices at fra when it comes to spousal benefits .

if she goes for my spousal, and I do a file and suspend I can let my own grow and she gets less than 1/2 mine since she filed early .

option 2 is my wife files early and at fra I can file for 1/2 hers and there is no reduction since I did not file early and I can let my own grow. that is what you are doing.

there are two options and you have to see which is better for you.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-09-2014 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at fra there are 2 options .

my wife filed at 62 and while I can wait until 70 we have 2 choices at fra when it comes to spousal benefits .

if she goes for my spousal, and I do a file and suspend I can let my own grow and she gets less than 1/2 mine since she filed early .

option 2 is my wife files early and at fra I can file for 1/2 hers and there is no reduction since I did not file early and I can let my own grow. that is what you are doing.

there are two options and you have to see which is better for you.
Where we differ is that my wife's benefit at 62 is greater than 50 percent of mine at 70. Spousal for her was never on the table.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:27 PM

179 posts, read 531,219 times
Default Thank you.......

WOW, first thank you all very much for all the responses. I just came here to check and see if I possibly had one, so I was surprised. If it helps (someone mentioned this) here is our information in dollars. Oh, and when I started taking it at 62 I had fully intended to pay it back at 66 and start collecting my FRA benefit. As you probably all know that option is no longer allowed. So here is where we are right now.

Me, 66, retired 2009, current benefit : $20,400

Wife 62, retired 2000 (health issues not on disability list). Her benefits at.....

age 62: $10,752
FRA....66: $14,268
age 70: $18,288

Since I made the mistake of drawing at 62, and my plan mentioned above fell through, I'm now trying to do whatever I need to so that when I die, she will get the most from our benefits. To possibly make it worse I have no idea of spousal benefits and who and how they apply to those eligible. I'm going to read all the previous posts now and see if I can understand some of the very detailed and much appreciated responses. Can anyone give an opinion on how helpful and honest the people at the SS offices are? The one we had here closed, but I could go to another city.

Thanks again, Bill

P.S. Didn't there used to be a way of being notified by EMAIL when a response was posted?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:50 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,617,793 times
If the OP doesn't mind me also asking a question: My husband passed at 52, so when I reach the age for SS, will I receive what he would have or a %? tia

Old 05-09-2014, 02:08 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,468,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
If the OP doesn't mind me also asking a question: My husband passed at 52, so when I reach the age for SS, will I receive what he would have or a %? tia
If you go to SS site you can see that it depends, in part, on your length of marriage. You should qualify for Survivors Benefits which would be is amount if you were married for at least ten years as I recall. It really is best to schedule an appointment at the SS office to discuss your own account as well as your husband's. A professional financial advisor is well worth the money as they will take into account your entire sitation.

Be very careful with File and Suspend:

http://www.edelmanfinancial.com/radi...ecurity-income

"So my message to you is this: if you’re going to engage in the file and suspend, be aware you may not be able to sustain it depending on how the law changes later this year. Or number two: if you’re fearful that the law is going to be changed and they don’t kill it retroactively you might want to be in a hurry to talk with a financial advisor about this.

File and suspend the Social Security retirement income benefits. Talk to your financial advisor about it".

Old 05-09-2014, 02:45 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,775 times
Social security agents aren't infallible.
Many of them don't know what they are doing,
I know from personal experience.
If you don't think the answer is correct talk to someone else.
And go armed with ALL your documents.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Social security agents aren't infallible.
Many of them don't know what they are doing,
I know from personal experience.
If you don't think the answer is correct talk to someone else.
And go armed with ALL your documents.
I was lucky I got processed by a claims person on Saturday who called me after I filed on line.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:44 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
If you go to SS site you can see that it depends, in part, on your length of marriage. You should qualify for Survivors Benefits which would be is amount if you were married for at least ten years as I recall. It really is best to schedule an appointment at the SS office to discuss your own account as well as your husband's. A professional financial advisor is well worth the money as they will take into account your entire sitation.

Be very careful with File and Suspend:

Beware if Youve Been Using This Strategy to Maximize Your Social Security Income

"So my message to you is this: if youíre going to engage in the file and suspend, be aware you may not be able to sustain it depending on how the law changes later this year. Or number two: if youíre fearful that the law is going to be changed and they donít kill it retroactively you might want to be in a hurry to talk with a financial advisor about this.

File and suspend the Social Security retirement income benefits. Talk to your financial advisor about it".
The ten year rule refers to Divorced spouses only. you need only have been married 9 months, if you are a widow/widower.

Also if you wait to collect widow benefits until your FRA you will collect 100% of your deceased spouses benefit, but none on your own, unless your own benefit is more already.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:42 AM

512 posts, read 631,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
P.S. Didn't there used to be a way of being notified by EMAIL when a response was posted?
At the top of the first post click on "Thread Tools" and then "Subscribe to this Thread".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or