U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:57 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,855,118 times

Advertisements

Based on what I read in the books, I will make this guess. I do not think she loses if she takes survivor at 60. If her plan is to wait for her age 70 to maximize her ss benefits I beleive she will get her full and the remainder if her husband's is higher to his. It might not be what she could have earned had he reached FRA or age 70 but there is no help there. It doesnt say this but I think it might be effectively at a peak upon his death. I don't know this for certain but that is how I read the rules.

Yellowsnow sorry for your loss. Our (Mrs Golf and me) best wishes for you. God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 06:07 AM

29,805 posts, read 34,894,042 times
A word of caution to lurkers about SS benefit discussions. All of us have unique variables that should impact when and how to claim benefits. We each need to understand the three traditional legs of the retirement stool. Some have all three legs, others only the SS leg. Not all legs are equal. The couple/individual with 2 million in assets has a very different perspective than those with 10k. Same with pensions and the wide range of amounts there. Throw in age, health, debt etc and you have uniqueness galore. Be wise and understand your unique situation.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:32 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,855,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A word of caution to lurkers about SS benefit discussions. All of us have unique variables that should impact when and how to claim benefits. We each need to understand the three traditional legs of the retirement stool. Some have all three legs, others only the SS leg. Not all legs are equal. The couple/individual with 2 million in assets has a very different perspective than those with 10k. Same with pensions and the wide range of amounts there. Throw in age, health, debt etc and you have uniqueness galore. Be wise and understand your unique situation.
would have given this in reputation but since I have given you a coodos already I had to post here.

Very true and very important. Everyone has their own unique set of circumstances.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 AM

29,805 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
would have given this in reputation but since I have given you a coodos already I had to post here.

Very true and very important. Everyone has their own unique set of circumstances.
You were one of the folks I had in mind when posting. You have shared much and I know we have some similarities so from you I can identify similar reasons for your thoughts. On the other hand I have considerable insight into Mathjak and know that while we have similarities we also have some important differences. I don't know why I have to keep reminding him of that The interesting thing is that by age 70 we will all be in a solid comfort zone with different lengths on our stools leg but with three of them. Which is the topic for another thread of how to balance them out for continued stability.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:57 AM

13,893 posts, read 25,347,447 times
Thanks everyone for being kind and patient with me. I will keep on researching. I don't need to file till October.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM

4,556 posts, read 5,477,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You were one of the folks I had in mind when posting. You have shared much and I know we have some similarities so from you I can identify similar reasons for your thoughts. On the other hand I have considerable insight into Mathjak and know that while we have similarities we also have some important differences. I don't know why I have to keep reminding him of that The interesting thing is that by age 70 we will all be in a solid comfort zone with different lengths on our stools leg but with three of them. Which is the topic for another thread of how to balance them out for continued stability.

Yes!

Some posters are in a different place but that doesn't make them better than the next person, just in a different place. It always best to make an appointment with your local SS office after a discussion with your finacial advisor to make the best decision for you.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:26 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Are you doing fine now? Then I suggest either taking investing/saving hers at 62 or letting it buildup. Deal with what you can and not what you could have done. After all long term none of us know what SS will be like; anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or