U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 PM

28,229 posts, read 47,666,499 times

Advertisements

It's such a great, simple idea: Young Brazilians want to learn English. Elderly Americans living in retirement homes just want someone to talk to. Why not connect them?

FCB Brazil did just that with its "Speaking Exchange" project for CNA language schools. As seen in the touching case study below, the young Brazilians and older Americans connect via Web chats, and they not only begin to share a language—they develop relationships that enrich both sides culturally and emotionally.

Perfect Match: Brazilian Kids Learn English by Video Chatting With Lonely Elderly Americans | Adweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 AM

29,837 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Hmmmm video chat between older men and young girls/ boys. Think I read about that. So if the 70 year old guy happens to be in Brazil do they hook up and really learn the language ? Don't they have a program like that in Thailand?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:34 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,086,306 times
This is, I think, the 3rd post linking to this story. Heartwarming, as long as the contacts are closely monitored. Otherwise, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Hmmmm video chat between older men and young girls/ boys. Think I read about that. So if the 70 year old guy happens to be in Brazil do they hook up and really learn the language ? Don't they have a program like that in Thailand?
My knee-jerk reaction was ~hey, I could hook up with a kid in Central America and update my rusty Spanish~. Then I was over it. Even without any sexually perverse undertones, I realized I reeked of exploitation.

Color me cynical, but I'm not sure "lonely elderly Americans" and "Brazilian kids practicing English" are an idea whose time has come.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:04 AM

3,352 posts, read 3,061,344 times
Wow, some cynical people here.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Just realistic that exploitation exists and doors left open are what pedophiles look to exploit. Program could be good and participants not always.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 PM

332 posts, read 428,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post

!!! Did these people view the same video that I did? It's really odd the sorts of stories that bring out that cynical reaction from C-D'ers. Or a knee-jerk tendency to interpret statements to reflect poorly on the OP. Usually because of a failure to compensate for a posters less-than-perfect composition. Tough crowd.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
!!! Did these people view the same video that I did? It's really odd the sorts of stories that bring out that cynical reaction from C-D'ers. Or a knee-jerk tendency to interpret statements to reflect poorly on the OP. Usually because of a failure to compensate for a posters less-than-perfect composition. Tough crowd.
I understand your point, however have you ever had the opportunity to work with those trying to catch and stop pedophiles? It is amazing how opportunistic they can become. The program is good but perhaps in the process it crosses over the best practice line to prevent abuse. It is well supervised but it still goes against never befriending over adults on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or