U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Haiku
4,104 posts, read 2,576,815 times
Reputation: 6052

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I see so many 90 year olds who are amazing.
They still drive, and take care of themselves.
Well, that is something to look forward to, that I can take care of myself.

For me it is quality not quantity. Quality means different things to different people, but for me, the bar is definitely a lot higher than just being able to take care of myself. Or drive a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2014, 06:54 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,074 posts, read 5,336,077 times
Reputation: 5771
Two of my heroes worked in their businesses until they were 92, happy and healthy and vital, and lived to 94-95. I want to work to age 92. (More than 30 years from now!) My work is rewarding and useful to others, and I'm determined to continue it as long as I am able. I'll scale back days and hours, but keep my hand in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 11:52 PM
GLS
 
1,985 posts, read 4,848,058 times
Reputation: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Even if healthy, alert, and lucid, I hope to be gone before I'm 90. Don't want to bury all those friends and family members.
What would I have to live for?
Their demise, although painful, may serve to remind you that you have at least one more day of "opportunity". Honoring them by spending it wisely might be enough to "live for"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 11:59 PM
 
10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Reputation: 17029
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Their demise, although painful, may serve to remind you that you have at least one more day of "opportunity". Honoring them by spending it wisely might be enough to "live for"?
Nothing remotely painful about it, I cherish their lives, don't dwell on their demise. We enjoy life and are entirely comfortable with the idea of death. Don't need to live post-90 to realize that. It's all good, not sure where you're going with this post, sorry to be dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:11 AM
GLS
 
1,985 posts, read 4,848,058 times
Reputation: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
.....Mom smokes like a maniac, doesn't exercise or drink, eats a terrible diet, her brother=no drinking or smoking, good diet. So who knows? Both have all their marbles.
I suspect her brother keeps his marbles safe in a leather pouch never risking getting them dirty or chipped. In contrast, her marbles are spread on the ground and her "shooter" is sticking with every shot, gleefully knocking her opponents marbles out of the circle. Every game involves risk. I suspect she is the one with the smile on her face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
954 posts, read 1,444,006 times
Reputation: 1884
Dallas real estate icon Ebby Halliday celebrated her 103rd birthday in March. On her 102nd birthday, she bought herself a pair of black cowboy boots and was given a party at Southfork Ranch. I have read that though she still works at the office about 20 hours a week, she stopped driving herself at 99. "Nobody wants to ride with me anyway", I remember her saying in the story I read.

Some people like that are just amazing. Good genes, exercise, healthy lifestyle, etc. probably all play a factor in living that long.

My Grandfather lived to a few months short of his 101st birthday. His mind was very sharp but his body just gave out on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:36 AM
 
10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Reputation: 17029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Dallas real estate icon Ebby Halliday celebrated her 103rd birthday in March. On her 102nd birthday, she bought herself a pair of black cowboy boots and was given a party at Southfork Ranch. I have read that though she still works at the office about 20 hours a week, she stopped driving herself at 99. "Nobody wants to ride with me anyway", I remember her saying in the story I read.

Some people like that are just amazing. Good genes, exercise, healthy lifestyle, etc. probably all play a factor in living that long.
OK, this is something with which I've had personal and up-close experience. Ebby is precious, adorable and one of the most unforgettable characters in my life. Since ca 1999, she's been demented as all get-out and totally dependent upon caretakers. I've attended so many functions with her that I've lost track. Ebby's been in a wheelchair since, 2002?, at least, probably longer, and without Mary Beth, she'd be a zombie. What the heck, she's a zombie anyway, Mary Beth be damned. So much for healthy lifestyle. She's the greatest testimony ever re the power of women and for that I will always worship her.

As an example of the power of living past 90? Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
954 posts, read 1,444,006 times
Reputation: 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
OK, this is something with which I've had personal and up-close experience. Ebby is precious, adorable and one of the most unforgettable characters in my life. Since ca 1999, she's been demented as all get-out and totally dependent upon caretakers. I've attended so many functions with her that I've lost track. Ebby's been in a wheelchair since, 2002?, at least, probably longer, and without Mary Beth, she'd be a zombie. What the heck, she's a zombie anyway, Mary Beth be damned. So much for healthy lifestyle. But she's the greatest testimony ever re the power of women and for that I will always adore her.

As an example of the power of living past 90? Not so much.

IF I should live into my 90's or beyond, I would want to at least have some of my memory. I would not want to live if I were truly out of my mind and required 24 hour care. Ebby has an amazing story and life, and I truly admire her. It is sad to see people that age that have lost it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 AM
 
10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Reputation: 17029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
IF I should live into my 90's or beyond, I would want to at least have some of my memory. I would not want to live if I were truly out of my mind and required 24 hour care. Ebby has an amazing story and life, and I truly admire her. It is sad to see people that age that have lost it.
Ebby lost it, long ago, that's a sad fact that no one can deny. As much as I admire her life narrative, her memory is long gone, and she has been out of her mind for many years now, that's the god-awful truth. She is truly out of her mind and requires 24 hour care. If you can't accept that, I'm so sorry for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
954 posts, read 1,444,006 times
Reputation: 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Ebby lost it, long ago, that's a sad fact that no one can deny. As much as I admire her life narrative, her memory is long gone, and she has been out of her mind for many years now, that's the god-awful truth. She is truly out of her mind and requires 24 hour care. If you can't accept that, I'm so sorry for you.

What is with you? I grant you that you may know more about her than me, that's fine. I just was commenting about someone who is fairly well known and there have been articles and stories written about her? I'm not saying you are incorrect in anything you have said. I'm really not trying to start an argument, you win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top