U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 PM

8,797 posts, read 7,712,915 times

Advertisements

Last time I saw one of my HS buddies was back in Dallas about 15 years ago. He made it big in investment banking. Bragged to me about his million dollar attorneys fees from his divorce and the 3 women he claimed he had sex with, each multiple times in the last week. What an ass. I cut off all contact with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 11:32 PM

4,121 posts, read 2,584,370 times
I moved out of my home town when I went to college and never looked back. One friend from HS contacted me a couple years ago and sends me updates every now and then. It is a bit sad, from my perspective. Apparently a lot of my HS chums basically have lived their whole lives in the same city. Never have experienced other places and other people. Kind of interesting what we each choose to do with our lives.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:13 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,492,699 times
I have kept in touch with two of my friends from home over the internet for about 20 years.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I'm in my 60's and have no friends from school left, half have died, 1/4 have moved out of the area, and the other 1/4 I've lost contact with them.
Would you want to reconnect?

As we get older so few are left.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My parents always had life long friends. So, naturally, as a kid, I expected to have my childhood friends become life long friends. Despite my best efforts, it didn't happen. My family moved away when I was 16 but that didn't concern me. After all, despite moving a few times, my parents still retained their long-time friends. Yet, for me, I did all I could to keep the communication going but eventually, one by one, they stopped communicating. That saddened me.

Right now, I am still in touch with one of my college roommates. We are at the point where we communicate once a year. Yet, she knows that if she's ever in town and needed a place to say, she can stay with us. The reverse is true as we have visited her.
That's the way it should be IMO.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My high school friends and I keep in touch, even though we have been apart for 40 years. Surprising but it shouldn't be that they are still the same people they were back then. Just older as I am. I like that. We remember each other's parents and encourage each other through the loss of our parents and siblings.
So few people are left that remember the good old days. Especially you as a child, siblings, parents.
These relationships should be nurtured.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:02 AM

8,981 posts, read 7,753,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
The older we get it seems we lose our friends.
Some to death, dementia. Or just plain moving away.
Do you have friends from early days or all new ones?
My wife and I moved about the country a few times so we did not age with those we knew when younger. We did move back to her hometown area but as she had not lived there for 45 years, she did not associated with any one there except family.

Bottom line is our friends over the years have always been new friends.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 AM

670 posts, read 818,412 times
Yes, I guess I'm lucky. I moved around the country a lot due to my career. After I retired, I moved back to the city where I grew up as my parents could not live alone anymore...and I was the single daughter.

My closest childhood friend and two other close friends still live here, so we see each other often. Also, I bump into other people who I went to school with. It's always so surprising, as usually I do not recognize them...and I'm sure they do not recognize me either.

I miss the friends I made in other parts of the country, but we keep in touch on the phone.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
If by youth you mean from highschool, or even from before age 21 (I didn't go to college until I was in my 30s), nope.... not a one.

I had a very small group of friends (less than a dozen) in childhood and highschool and we all went our different ways after graduation day.

The "oldest" (meaning the one I have known the longest) is a gal who was a neighbor during the early 1970s when we were in our first house and I was in my early 30s. She's ten years older than I am and got divorced during the 80s but is still living here on LI. There's another gal, also divorced, that I've known since the late 1980s; we met while in line for Santa Claus with our respective kids when they were about four years old, lol.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:30 PM

157 posts, read 149,676 times
An old saying that makes sense to me: There's no friends like old friends.

My family moved around quite a bit and I ended up in three different high schools in the midwest and New England. My only remaining contact from those days is the best man at my wedding (from high school & college days). It's too bad but not surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or