U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Lots have died, unfortunately. I suppose that I should start making younger friends.
My Bh's friends now all seem to be 10 years younger than him.
At least some of them ought to outlast him.
His bff from elementary school died 5 years ago.
Makes you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,442,342 times
Yes - from high school. We've kept in touch even though we are far away from one another and they came to visit me last year! It was a blast. I'm in touch with 2 from grade school and years ago, one of them came to visit me.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:32 PM

1,589 posts, read 817,150 times
This is interesting. It is a very peer group and family dependent thing. For instance my HS class - about 50% have taken advantage of modern internet communications to stay in touch. We will have our 45th reunion this year. Before the 40th, the reunions were pretty small. But the internet and life finally coalesced, ya know.

But I switched HS midway through. The one I graduated from - a great class. The other - nobody there I want to talk to ever again. No thank you. They have reunions too - but without me.

Some people I know have had friends since childhood. Most don't. I don't. The first friends I've been able to make and keep are those in that 2nd HS.

At my age, the die-off (sorry to be so blunt) is just beginning. We've lost a few. I remember when my Grandpa was "the last man standing" among his family and peers of his youth.

I've made much more rigorous attempts to stay in touch with friends and family over the past 20 years then I did in the previous 20 years. And more than ever today. It is important.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,073 times
I visited my mom today (mothers day)...The old neighborhood.
Most of my friends still live in their parents basement...(They are almost 60 years old.)
Its kinda awkward....
I feel like I don't belong...

Old 05-11-2014, 02:52 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,807,188 times
I briefly reconnected with some of my childhood friends via facebook, and while I enjoyed being able to get an update from them the relationships were over. Nothing hostile at all, we just all had long ago evolved in our own directions and had families and friends that didn't exist back then.

On the other hand, my wife and I went out on our first date when she was 17 and I was 18, so I guess I have one friend I've kept from childhood.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:33 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr57 View Post
I visited my mom today (mothers day)...The old neighborhood.
Most of my friends still live in their parents basement...(They are almost 60 years old.)
Its kinda awkward....
I feel like I don't belong...
I am intrigued by that, dr57. How many old friends still live in their parents' basement? Is there a common reason for that failure to thrive? Did some of them live on their own for a while, then move back in? Any Vietnam vets with PTSD? Would you have been able to guess back in high school that it would come to this? Of those who still live with parents, how many have a job and contribute to the household?

Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,174,250 times
I haven't seen any of my old buddies in years. About 30 years ago I decided to look up one of my best friends from when I was in my teens. He was a crazy guy and we did a lot of stupid teen stuff together and dated a lot of the same girls. There wasn't a day we weren't together.

I found his number and called him and he was like a total stranger. He was now a school teacher and was very "proper and reserved" on the phone, not like the wildman I once knew. I actually got off the phone depressed because he was so different.

They say you can never go home again, and I guess that is true, at least in my experience. Some memories are best left to just that, memories.

Don

Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 PM

14,662 posts, read 9,713,728 times
I have found out that reconnecting with long lost friends is fleeting. You at first are elated, exchange a few messages, reminisce a bit then nothing. You are just content that you found him or her and go on about your life.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:33 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,612,986 times
I looked up my child hood friend when I found him he said
Why are you calling

Old 05-12-2014, 05:02 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I looked up my child hood friend when I found him he said
Why are you calling
Oh Huck, that's so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or