Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:33 PM

37,295 posts, read 61,076,201 times

Advertisements

Thank God for Facebook.

I had lost touch with all but one friend from Highschool. And I had lost contact with everyone I worked with. Transferring very 3 years, I worked with a lot of people, but there was never any method to be on contact with any of them.

Most of my career was spent incommunicado [no phone, no mail, no radio, no TV].

But since I retired, I have been able to reconnect with two ladies that I dated in Highschool. Along with maybe 30 people that I was in highschool with [though most of them do not remember me]. I have not reconnected with anyone from college yet. But I have reconnected with a bunch of men that I have worked with, in each case, it was for relatively short - finite periods of time that we worked together [2 years in the 70s, or 3 years in the 80s, etc].

I am the first from among my highschool class to have a pension, first to retire. A lot of them have died already.

A number of my former co-workers have died.

Everyone I see IRL [face-to-face] are all new friends, obviously. But if it was not for Facebook, there is no way that I would have been able to re-connect with old friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:22 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,218,171 times
I've got my bff from childhood.

At times she's been my only friend.

It's like I have her, and the ones I have now, and all the rest in between were just time wasters.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,622,833 times
I don't know how we managed in the days when there was no email etc, but I have one friend I met 49 years ago. We both moved all over the country, so it still amazes me that we stayed I touch. I met her when my first child was just under
a year old and that child will be 50 YOA this year. We have gotten together over the years. She is in fact flying in for a 4 day visit this month. Have not seen her in 12 years so we have some catching up to do....in person anyway. We do stay
in touch daily via email, letting the other know what's going on or just checking in. I've never had and will never have a friend like this one. We have a history!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:25 PM

13 posts, read 15,861 times
I have old friends and new friends.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,149,399 times
My best friend turns 61 in June, I turn 60 3 days later, and we have been friends literally since we became aware of the other one - we grew up next door to each other. Although we've lived on opposite sides of the country for years now, we talk or email several times a week, and whenever there's any kind of family crisis on either side, the other one is there for it. We've vacationed together, we've been through divorces and family funerals together - everything. We are each our "family we chose." I've lost most of my family members at this point but if she dies before me, it will affect me more than any other loss I've had. - even that of my parents.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,886,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Thank God for Facebook.
Amen.

My first girl friend was a beautiful redhead with porcelain white skin and freckles who had parents from Sweden. We met on the first day of school - 4th grade - in 1963. This was in suburban Hollywood, Florida. Kennedy was president, but not much longer. We were best friends for about 3 or 4 years, but in adolescence and junior high we drifted apart.

Through Facebook we reconnected 45 years later. She had married in middle age and had just lost her husband ... had no children. Her parents moved back to Sweden and lived out their last years there. She was living in Washington outside Seattle. I ended up in Philadelphia.

If it wasn't for Facebook we would have never reconnected.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:04 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,342,375 times
My closest friends are those who knew me back when I was a kid, they remember my parents and my brothers and we share the same long-ago memories. It's funny how we find our way back to each other. My best friend in grades K through Jr. High was miraculously living a few miles away from me when we moved from MA to IL so we rekindled. Now I'm back in MA and she's retiring to the next town over. She is more family than family.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 AM

3,575 posts, read 4,492,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I don't know how we managed in the days when there was no email etc, but I have one friend I met 49 years ago. We both moved all over the country, so it still amazes me that we stayed I touch. I met her when my first child was just under
a year old and that child will be 50 YOA this year. We have gotten together over the years. She is in fact flying in for a 4 day visit this month. Have not seen her in 12 years so we have some catching up to do....in person anyway. We do stay
in touch daily via email, letting the other know what's going on or just checking in. I've never had and will never have a friend like this one. We have a history!
That's what I'm talking about. History is big. When you get older, so few people are left who remember
Your roots.
I have one friend left from early days.
Our parents were neighbors; we were born in the hospital 3 days apart.
In those days you stayed in hospital for two weeks.
Over the years we have drifted apart, but reconnected.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,077,890 times
I married my high school sweetheart. Still happily married. I met my best friend in elementary school. We weren't that close until about college. That has lasted through the decades also.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,564,545 times
Lots have died, unfortunately. I suppose that I should start making younger friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement