U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,298,735 times

Advertisements

I'm retired in Nebraska and it is 100% true, but I would not want to live any where else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 AM

8,195 posts, read 11,908,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
OR
You can retire to the Nebraska where...
1. You've never met any celebrities, but the mayor knows your name.
2. Your idea of a traffic jam is three cars waiting to pass a tractor.
3. You have had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" on the same day.
4. You end sentences with a preposition: "Where's my coat at.
5. A football stadium becomes the third largest city in the state on game days.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Very funny.... & true!

Old 05-14-2014, 01:57 PM

983 posts, read 2,177,138 times
Thank you for making me smile.. been a rough day :-)

Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM

4,622 posts, read 4,462,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
5. A football stadium becomes the third largest city in the state on game days.
You are referring to Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, of course.

An unrelated story about Lincoln. I worked several years on a project funded by an earmark by then-senator Bob Kerry. At a conference to present technology to the state's teachers one year, senator Kerry was in attendance and afterward gave a little reception for the presenters.

I took the opportunity when none of his cronies were hovering about to approach him and thank him for letting me 'work for him'. He asked me if I was going to go with them to the zoo afterward. "Huh", I thought to myself. "Why would they be going to the zoo at this time of day?". He then asked if I liked bluegrass music, and when I said that sometimes I did, he said to just follow them over.

It turn out that "The Zoo" is a local pub in downtown Lincoln and when the senator is in town from Washington, he often takes off his tie and hobnobs in The Zoo to get the pulse of what concerns the average joe in Nebraska, what issues are on their minds.

What a guy! I cannot ever imagine being able to have an opportunity to talk to one of my U.S. senators here in California. Bob Kerry made himself available to all of his state's residents...pretty much all the time. He had something going for him, that a Republican state would elect a Democrat governor, then senator.

Last edited by volosong; 05-14-2014 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 05:28 PM

553 posts, read 794,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
Or, you can retire in a state, where
- utilities, home and car insurance are generally cheaper than TX
- property taxes are 1/3 of TX
- the sole state income tax is approx 6% on income interest from bonds and stock dividends, and nothing for retired couples with < $59K income
- there is no drought, the rivers flow strong and the many impoundments are full
- the terrain is highly varied, from flat in the west to a mountain range in the east
- there is comparatively little traffic congestion
- highways are well kept and well planned
- two major interstate highways, north/south and east/west converge
- there are four distinguishable seasons
- temps range from about 20 to 95 F
- there exists a medical research hospital and university
- the capital is a Google tech hub
The other side of my gene pool is from Lone Mountain, Tennessee. In addition to the above, Tennessee has one of the lowest electrical cost in the country, some outstanding universities, and a deep and abiding love of music. Original family member, male, came with Daniel Boone through the Cumberland Gap in the 1750's.

Tennessee is a great state.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:55 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,830,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Tennessee is a great state.
Amen! It felt so good "coming home to a place I'd never been before". Our favorite saying is "another day in paradise", and we mean it.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,367,509 times
A long time ago a bunch of us had a beer with Senator Bob Kerry in a local American legion hall after one of his campaign speeches. Good guy and very modest genuine Hero.

Try New Hampshire:

They call it the Granite State because of the Ledge's brain matter
The "Great Stone Face" final fell off the mountain and they had an official mourning
We have four seasons as well: Early winter, middle winter, late winter, mud and if we have a warm weekend, summer
Pancakes are served with Maple Syrup and not with anything related to corn syrup or cane sugar.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 PM

553 posts, read 794,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A long time ago a bunch of us had a beer with Senator Bob Kerry in a local American legion hall after one of his campaign speeches. Good guy and very modest genuine Hero.

Try New Hampshire:

They call it the Granite State because of the Ledge's brain matter
The "Great Stone Face" final fell off the mountain and they had an official mourning
We have four seasons as well: Early winter, middle winter, late winter, mud and if we have a warm weekend, summer
Pancakes are served with Maple Syrup and not with anything related to corn syrup or cane sugar.
Many years ago, when the airlines were snowed in, I was stuck in downtown Manchester for almost a week.
To this day I warmly recall the "Red Arrow Diner" on Lowell St. I had to trudge through the snow blown sidewalks some two blocks from the hotel, twice a day, but it was worth it...great breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement