U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,235,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, this was a downer.
Some folks only care about their own perspectives and life circumstances.

I have friends who haven't been able to concieve, friends who have had stillborn children, friends who have had adult children die in combat, in accidents, by suicide, and through illness.

I have friends estranged from their children.

I have friends who were psychologically and sometimes, physically abused, by their mentally ill or addicted mothers.

I have friends who consider their sweet furkids their babies.

Mother's Day triggers a lot of sad emotions for many people.

I want folks to know - it is okay to have those emotions -- and most importantly, they are not alone.

Honor all those who have nurtured and loved and mentored. That's my thought.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,531,914 times
My niece just posted on a short note on Facebook about her eight year old adopted daughter having a difficult time this and every Mother's Day. Even though her daughter was "abandoned" (left at Grandma's on Christmas Day at age 2 1/2) by her drug addict biological mother, the daughter is angry and confused that she cannot be with the woman. It is a complicated story but the Grandmother is part of her life.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,765,919 times
Well, I do feel included in everybody's good wishes because I, too, have been called a mother. Of course it had another word after that.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:21 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,765,919 times
Anyone else dread mothers day

On a more serious note, there is a thread in the Non-Romantic Relationships Forum entitled "Anyone else dread mothers' day?" (I hope the link above works, in case anyone is interested.)

My point is that it is a good thing to be aware of, and compassionate towards, people whose situations may make the Mothers' Day holiday extremely painful. It is sort of analogous to being aware of and/or praying for those who may be hungry on Thanksgiving Day. I can see where some may consider it a "downer" but I see it more as encompassing the entire range of our fellow human beings. That is the light in which I view the original post in this thread - not at all as an attempt to be negative, but as an attempt to be compassionate.

Ultimately, being Pollyannaish is not grounded in reality. Acknowledging that some cannot have a relationship with their cruel, abusive, hostile, and dysfunctional mothers should not take away the joy of those celebrating their gratitude towards their mothers; rather, it should enhance that joy.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:31 AM

29,829 posts, read 34,918,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I understand your sentiment and I think you said it well.

Happy Mother's Day!!
Bada Bing and in the spirit of sharing the wife and I had a great seafood Brunch.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 PM

677 posts, read 842,767 times
You wrote this quite eloquently (in my humble opinion) and I applaud you for it. I feel exactly the same way.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times
The only thing I'd add is a good word too of appreciation for stepmoms. They handle the day to day, or the visiting days, with a lot of care and responsibility and are overshadowed by biological moms. And foster moms, who deserve the very best wishes too.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:34 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,732,335 times
I've got a terrible maternal unit myself, and now my kids have been estranged from me by their father.

Mother's Day is the WORST day of the year.

It's Australia so it's over now, for another year...but I went out yesterday and was reminded that I am not the only one who struggles on this day.

To all the Mums, thanked and unthanked - you are incredibly special and should be treasured. Be kind to yourself today xxxxx

Old 05-11-2014, 03:39 PM

14,698 posts, read 8,516,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes! Nurturing and Mothering . . .

And to those women who have spent their lives mothering animals . . . we are all god's creatures. Taking care of all living things is a form of mothering -- and worthy of honor on this day.

Happy Mother's Day!
Thanks so much for this post. I am not a mother to humans, but have worked in animal rescue and been a pet owner all my life. That is a worthy role in its own right, yet non mothers are frequently belittled on occasions such as these because we "aren't REAL mothers." I believe we should celebrate the nuturing behaviors of everyone: fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, friends, etc. . .

Old 05-11-2014, 06:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,235,178 times
Thank you all for adding the wise words, insights and sentiments to this thread!

I hope stepmoms felt honored by their spouses and children today, too! Absolutely!

I am stepmom to four adult children. It is not the easiest of roles, and every situation is different, because all the individuals involved are unique human beings, as are the adults.

I am very close to one of my stepchildren, and the relationship has been a blessing in my life, on many levels. I received a beautiful card and call from my stepson today. He has a bio-mom, but for him to include me in his life was a gift and decision on his part that I will always treasure.

Families are complicated! My feeling is--there is never too much love! Love is not divided up like a pie, and when the pieces are gone, there is no more love! The more people we choose to mentor, protect, nurture, and yes, LOVE, the better the whole world becomes.

I like to think about that on Mother's Day--that love costs nothing, yet is the best gift we can give each other. If we don't find the love within our own households, then seek it out! All God's creatures thrive on LOVE. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or