U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,032,619 times

Advertisements

My thought is on Mother day you celebrate your mother's life. You either do or you don't;plain and simple. I do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:54 PM

9,017 posts, read 7,778,187 times
There always will be things that kick off or renew unpleasant times. They could be as innocuousas a date or the color of a car. By no means does that mean we should ban certain dates nor color of cars. One child with a reaction to peanuts does not mean ban it for 500 kids in that same school.

All we can do is do our best to try and do our best. In some cases that is accept what works for some does not work for all. Many love Christmas....some say bah humbug. I still say "wishing you a Merry Christmas" hoping it is or will be for them.

My mother is dead but my wife and I toasted a drink to her today. She would have like to join us in that drink.....LOL

Happy Mothers Day.

Last edited by johngolf; 05-11-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 07:08 PM

720 posts, read 1,486,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One child with a reaction to peanuts does not mean ban it for 500 kids in that same school.y.
Well you do in CT! Sorry had to add that.
Happy Mother's Day to all!
💙💗💟

Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,227,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My thought is on Mother day you celebrate your mother's life. You either do or you don't;plain and simple. I do.
When I was growing up, folks would wear a rose or carnation--both men and women--red, that meant your mother was living, or white, which meant your mother was deceased.

I think in that era, Mother's Day was very much about one's own mother (and/or grandmother). Not sure when that changed but it is now a much more inclusive celebration.

I don't see folks wearing the traditional flowers anymore, either.

(was that a nation-wide thing or regional only? Anyone know?)

Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,404,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
When I was growing up, folks would wear a rose or carnation--both men and women--red, that meant your mother was living, or white, which meant your mother was deceased.

I think in that era, Mother's Day was very much about one's own mother (and/or grandmother). Not sure when that changed but it is now a much more inclusive celebration.

No flowers here in MN.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,732,335 times
Quote:

What a lovely tradition!

No, the streets here are lined with flower sellers, but they're in bunches.

Those icky chrysanthemums, mainly yellow and sickly purple.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM

1,926 posts, read 995,239 times
Quote:

It was a southern, wear to church thing, for sure.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 PM

19,905 posts, read 18,914,045 times
No, we never wore flowers but it sounds like a lovely tradition.

My own mother always said that lilacs bloom on Mother's Day. Around here anyway. I would always pick a bunch of lilacs to take to her and I always make sure I have a lilac bush in the yard wherever I live. She passed away during a long New England winter and when my lilacs bloomed that spring I just didn't know what to do.

That year I left them on the bush, pointing upward towards heaven. It just felt right, if you know what I mean.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:37 PM

25,108 posts, read 23,994,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I almost started a thread titled Happy Mothers Day in response, what a negative way to start the day. There is usually not a need to start a thread off on a negative note here. There's always someone who will come along attempting to being everyone down to their level of misery, just give any thread here in retirement some time.

This is another day to raise above or sink below, there is always a choice. For me, it's a Happy Mothers Day without any attachments, my choice.
I don't find it negative. I think that anifani merely pointed out the fact that not everyone who's given birth gets to be "Queen for a Day", and not every child has a mother to honor. I always think of a few relatives and friends who desperately wanted children and couldn't have any.

I didn't see my son today; my mom passed last year. It was a beautiful day and I might have gone out, but the power steering pump on my car is going and I couldn't risk driving. I might have cut the lawn, but I can't start the old beast of a mower and the friendly neighbor who did that for me moved away last month. Not to worry, I did things around the house. I called my sister last night and we had a nice chat. I always call her on Mother's Day because I know that she is thinking of her son who died when he was just fifteen years old.

I felt OK about all of this until I read your post. I guess that I was supposed to be happy in some way. A good friend called today which cheered me a bit, but overall, it was a rather slow, solitary, mildly productive day.

I want my mommy.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 PM

25,108 posts, read 23,994,460 times
Quote:

I don't clearly remember that, but you've stirred up some muck from the bottom of the pond and I do remember people wearing flowers for many reasons and occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or