U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 AM

29,815 posts, read 34,907,142 times

Advertisements

A post Mothers Day thought for all. Today is the first day of the rest of your life, so make it a good one. Same thought applied to yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 06:19 AM

19,844 posts, read 19,943,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A post Mothers Day thought for all. Today is the first day of the rest of your life, so make it a good one. Same thought applied to yesterday.
Well, my horoscope this morning directed me to do tedious and not very relaxing things today.
(I solved that one....I picked another month with directives I like better)

Old 05-12-2014, 06:56 AM

29,815 posts, read 34,907,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well, my horoscope this morning directed me to do tedious and not very relaxing things today.
(I solved that one....I picked another month with directives I like better)
Ahhhhh your wisdom runneth over!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 AM

21 posts, read 16,365 times
Yes, Mother's day is not always happy especially if you lost someone who served as your mother.
Anyways, Happy Mother's Day to all mothers!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,740,797 times
My daughter ( age 35) called and said yesterday was a rough day for her. The first time my wife ( her mother) was not here on Mothers Day. ( She died Thanksgiving morning from ALS .. AGE 68 )

I told my daughter of my memories of going to my Grandparents farm every Mothers Day. Many aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents were poor. Everyone brought cake and sandwiches for a big afternoon lunch in back yard.

I told my daughter about when she was little and how we would always take my mother to a small town restaurant that featured a Mothers Day Buffet.

Then I told her about the gathering at my farm where my wife was the grandma and everyone brought food to share on Mothers Day.

Three generations have come and gone in that short story and now my daughter (35) and older daughter 44 are the oldest living mothers left in the family.

I told her to concentrate on her young kids and start creating the same great memories/traditions with her and her family on Mothers Day.

Time moves swiftly , but the memories of good traditions stay with us.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 AM

19,844 posts, read 19,943,516 times
I instinctively bristle at the the escalating concentration on political correctness to the degree that special things should not be fully enjoyed for what they are in fear of hurting somebody else's feelings that they aren't part of that particular group.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
It was a southern, wear to church thing, for sure.
I had never thought about it being only a Southern custom until I wrote that yesterday! Too bad no one seems to observe it any longer.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 AM

720 posts, read 1,486,820 times
Quote:
I instinctively bristle at the the escalating concentration on political correctness to the degree that special things should not be fully enjoyed for what they are in fear of hurting somebody else's feelings that they aren't part of that particular group.
Amen. Seems to suck the enjoyment out of a lot of things.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
While the discussion may have turned into something that might feel like political correctness, the original idea of the post was to talk about Mother's Day bringing up a lot of emotions that are not always celebratory for many people. And there are many reasons for that occurring . . . including Moms who have lost a child.

TEXDAVE brought up a good point: if we are simply celebrating/honoring our own mother, then the focus is removed from all the other various scenarios in re: to what mothers (or childless women) might feel in regard to themselves. However, I don't think there is any reasonable way for women to control their own emotions about such things -- losses (or unfilled hopes) can hit a person without warning when confronted with a special day.

I have never been a big proponent of setting aside a special day to celebrate mothers, fathers, grandparents, teachers, secretaries, etc.

Ideally, you celebrate/honor those relationships daily and if you aren't, then trying to make up for it by sending a card or gift on Mother's Day or Father's Day could be seen as nothing more than an empty gesture.

Perhaps for many, having a "special day" is just a gentle reminder to not put off acknowledging someone we truly care about and don't take time to acknowledge often enough in our busy lives.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Amen. Seems to suck the enjoyment out of a lot of things.
Sometimes, I think it is not political correctness as much as trying to be sensitive to others who may have dealt with a loss such as the death of a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or