Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,161,760 times

Advertisements

I am sure you have read many times that for some folks, Mother's Day is not such a happy occasion.

In fact, for many, it is filled with conflicting emotions.

For those who have lost their Mother, this may be a time of reflection and sweet memories. For others, it may be a time of regret and even anger -- if Mother was absent, mentally ill, or suffered from addictions and addictive behaviors.

If Mom is still alive, it can be a difficult time -- either because of her senior age and the thoughts of losing her . . . or because of estrangement and thoughts of how incapable a mother she has always been.

For Mothers themselves, it can be a time of reminiscence or sad recollection. Not every mother is in close contact with her children. Getting that card or call can feel empty and rather meaningless if it is a gesture done from obligation rather than genuine celebration of the day.

And for Mothers who have lost their children, whether to death or to adoption or estrangement or stillbirth, it can the most painful of days.

So it isn't always a Happy Mother's Day, for many reasons.

Nevertheless, the tradition continues, lol!!!

Blessings to all mothers . . . even the ones who have fallen short.

And special blessings to those mothers who have lost a child.

For all of us, we are here because a mother labored to bring us into this world. Not all Mothers are created equal . . . some are better suited to the role than others. Regardless of how you fit into Mother's Day . . . I hope you are filled with peace and joy for all living things today, including Mother Earth!

Happy Mother's Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,927,604 times
Well said and all mothers hopefully thank you!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 AM

26,643 posts, read 28,489,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am sure you have read many times that for some folks, Mother's Day is not such a happy occasion.

In fact, for many, it is filled with conflicting emotions.

For those who have lost their Mother, this may be a time of reflection and sweet memories. For others, it may be a time of regret and even anger -- if Mother was absent, mentally ill, or suffered from addictions and addictive behaviors.

If Mom is still alive, it can be a difficult time -- either because of her senior age and the thoughts of losing her . . . or because of estrangement and thoughts of how incapable a mother she has always been.

For Mothers themselves, it can be a time of reminiscence or sad recollection. Not every mother is in close contact with her children. Getting that card or call can feel empty and rather meaningless if it is a gesture done from obligation rather than genuine celebration of the day.

And for Mothers who have lost their children, whether to death or to adoption or estrangement or stillbirth, it can the most painful of days.

So it isn't always a Happy Mother's Day, for many reasons.

Nevertheless, the tradition continues, lol!!!

Blessings to all mothers . . . even the ones who have fallen short.

And special blessings to those mothers who have lost a child.

For all of us, we are here because a mother labored to bring us into this world. Not all Mothers are created equal . . . some are better suited to the role than others. Regardless of how you fit into Mother's Day . . . I hope you are filled with peace and joy for all living things today, including Mother Earth!

Happy Mother's Day!
Beautifully stated.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 AM

26,643 posts, read 28,489,044 times
I would like to add good wishes also to those women who are not mothers but who have "mothered" in their own way. Those who have taken care of others' children, who have taught children, many women who have given of themselves in a motherly way.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would like to add good wishes also to those women who are not mothers but who have "mothered" in their own way. Those who have taken care of others' children, who have taught children, many women who have given of themselves in a motherly way.
Yes! Nurturing and Mothering . . .

And to those women who have spent their lives mothering animals . . . we are all god's creatures. Taking care of all living things is a form of mothering -- and worthy of honor on this day.

Happy Mother's Day!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,722,215 times
I almost started a thread titled Happy Mothers Day in response, what a negative way to start the day. There is usually not a need to start a thread off on a negative note here. There's always someone who will come along attempting to being everyone down to their level of misery, just give any thread here in retirement some time.

This is another day to raise above or sink below, there is always a choice. For me, it's a Happy Mothers Day without any attachments, my choice.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,130,818 times
My best friend heart dog died on Mother's Day 2012 (suddenly and unexpectedly), so I have mixed feelings, too.

But mostly we just try to make it about our moms! Happy day to everyone!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I almost started a thread titled Happy Mothers Day in response, what a negative way to start the day. There is usually not a need to start a thread off on a negative note here. There's always someone who will come along attempting to being everyone down to their level of misery, just give any thread here in retirement some time.

This is another day to raise above or sink below, there is always a choice. For me, it's a Happy Mothers Day without any attachments, my choice.
It's a forum. Not everyone has your life.

I was not trying to bring everyone down. And I am not miserable. My son and hubby have a lovely day planned for me.

However, a large portion of folks are ALREADY down b/c it is Mother's Day. It can be a stressful and sad, painful day for many.

I wanted to acknowledge everyone, regardless of what their situation may be.

Regardless. . . I hope you have a wonderful and blessed Mother's Day!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,989,535 times
I understand your sentiment and I think you said it well.

Happy Mother's Day!!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:01 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,989,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

Well, this was a downer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement