U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
... let me add pets. I lost my companion dog of 18 years a year ago and and really on the fence about getting another dog of any age. While I think or hope for a long life, I would hate to leave one behind so I would add that in my planning if I got a new canine friend.

I empathize totally with your situation. But why not do what I've done for the past 20 years? I adopt older dogs from certain breed rescue groups -- 7-8-9 year old dogs whose normal lifespan is @ 12 years. They're sooo grateful to have a loving home and any bad puppy habits (chewing/housebreaking/etc) have been worked out. Yes, you dont have them for lots of years and, yes, it hurts when they become angels, but the love and companionship they offer is beyond amazing.

I'm currently on my 5th older rescue dog: a doberman who was dumped on the street at the age of @ 9 because she was too old to have any more litters of puppies. That was 4 years ago and she's still doing well. I've had dobermans for 40+ years and she's the best of them all. I wouldnt have missed sharing my life with her for anything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 PM

318 posts, read 642,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Precisely! What we need is a service that checks up on us daily by a phone call or email and a "dial a ride" sort of thing. You know, you can't even have small operations anymore without having "Someone" with you. What wimps do they expect us to be? I just need someone to haul me there - and pick me up when the surgery is done since I'm too messed up on valium to drive myself.

Otherwise, I LOVE being alone with my animals. It would be hell to live close by other people because I couldn't play my music full blast late at night, run around half naked, talk to myself all the time, etc.
I agree with the concept of "dial a ride." Having gone through a couple of surgeries in the past few years, I hated having to inconvenience a friend by asking them to pick me up from the hospital. They were happy to do it, but it was still a burden I would have preferred to avoid putting them through.

I looked for car services that would transport people to the hospital - most medical offices won't allow taxi drivers these days for fear of putting a drugged up patient into a stranger's car - but I found no other transport options. Maybe I need to start a new business?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 PM

318 posts, read 642,681 times
I worry about my pets too. I actually put something in my will, stating that I wanted my cousin to take the cats, and that I would give her a sum of money if she did so. She loves animals so she would take them even if money weren't offered, but I would want to give some money to help with the expense of food/vet bills.

Thanks for all of the suggestions on this thread. I'm less concerned about my personal safety or being injured at home (although those are important factors) than I am about being stuck in some dumpy nursing home with inattentive and/or abusive attendants in charge of my care. I just want to make sure that I can die in as comfortable and dignified situation as possible, without fear of being swindled or mistreated.

The elder care attorney and elder care service suggestions were very helpful, and I will find out more about those transition facilities that move you from independent living to nursing care as needed.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:40 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
I think this has been a great thread. I am 55 and from the generation where a lot of us did not have children. So yeah this has been a real concern of mine as well as my wife is a few years older and we are planning on moving to a new state in retirement. It is good to hear there are options but what if you do not have the money to do some of the things suggested?

As for the pets I've been thinking about that too. We just got a new dog a year ago so doing the math I'm thinking I've got one more in me. I agree that the poster should get another dog, I can't imagine being retired and alone and not having the companionship of a dog.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:43 AM

730 posts, read 1,026,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I'm less concerned about my personal safety or being injured at home (although those are important factors) than I am about being stuck in some dumpy nursing home with inattentive and/or abusive attendants in charge of my care. I just want to make sure that I can die in as comfortable and dignified situation as possible, without fear of being swindled or mistreated.
This ^^^ in a nutshell encapsulates what I think is the basic concern for every senior. It certainly is my overriding fear as I age. It's the big elephant-in-the-room question that everything else, especially financial issues, revolves around... IMHO.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:48 AM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
Anybody that is capable of taking care of you is also capable of abusing you
I don't have a plan yet will let you know as soon as I do family would be my last option

Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I don't have a plan yet will let you know as soon as I do family would be my last option
This is another important issue for those who may have relatives, but, do not really want to impose the level of personal healthcare that many require on them. The reasons may vary from privacy, to burden factor, to mistrust of the relatives or inability of the spouse to provide the required care, etc. That's why we signed-up for LTC policies about 5-years ago. These handle in-home or facility care, and (in our case), provide up to 6-years facility care (or 3-years each; can be combined). We also have an annuity that will provide a 3-year double payout if one of us has the inability to meet 3-4? self-care criteria.

All in all, the way our government, healthcare and debt situation is deteriorating, many of us have an increased life expectancy, but, a decreased expectation of competent, effective government healthcare.
IMO, it is incumbent on all of us to do whatever we can to provide for our own elderly healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or