U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 PM

364 posts, read 553,294 times

Advertisements

I never heard them called stair climbers before; I thought you were talking about exercise equipment. I am starting to look into these for my mom. I wonder how hard they are to install yourself, or how much you have to pay a contractor to do it. We did have electric outlets placed by the stairs when we bought the house with stair lifts in mind. I am concerned about our outside stairs. I imagine the salt-air here will do a number on them, but that's part of living at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:16 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,173,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
I never heard them called stair climbers before; I thought you were talking about exercise equipment. I am starting to look into these for my mom. I wonder how hard they are to install yourself, or how much you have to pay a contractor to do it. We did have electric outlets placed by the stairs when we bought the house with stair lifts in mind. I am concerned about our outside stairs. I imagine the salt-air here will do a number on them, but that's part of living at the beach.
There are specific ones designed for outdoor use. They hold up pretty well with maintenance.
As for indoor there are specific brands, Bruno for instance designed for do it yourself IF you have straight runs of stairs, curved or other non standard stairs are another whole ball park and expensive. MOST brands must be installed by the dealer you buy them from. There is ZERO information online for DIY believe me I have looked.

I bought several used in the hope we could figure out how to modify and install them, so far we have not tried, I just pray we get lucky when we do, as we cannot afford to have them done professionally nor can we find anyone to install them used unless you bought used from dealer.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:20 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,786,752 times
called the Acorn people after seeing TV ad. Then looked up reviews and boy what a mess. Endless telephone solicitations just after 1 inquiry. messy installation, etc. on to other brands.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:02 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,173,172 times
Sarvia is good and Stannah as well. Bruno for DIY

Old 05-18-2014, 12:12 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,961,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
All my relative had them up north. There its a small room at entry to hang jackets and tkeke off boots/shoe covers but the main thing is it has door leading to outside and one then into house. Not heated and when you come in it keeps ole man winter from blowing inside the house. Also nice not to track up interior of house. In south it called entry porch and used to take off shoes and jackets etc. Quite common on older farms; ranch houses etc.Now days with attached garages less common.

Kind of like breezeways.......................I don't hear to many people use that term down south

Old 05-18-2014, 03:49 PM

1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Kind of like breezeways.......................I don't hear to many people use that term down south
because they are called dog trots

Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Default Regionalisms

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
because they are called dog trots
Now there's a second regionalism that I am hearing for the first time in this thread! (The first one was "mud room".)

Here's a third one that I have been aware of for a long time: My cousins in Baton Rouge, Louisiana call skiing "snow-skiing" and water-skiing "skiing". It stands to reason, as skiing is an alien activity to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement