Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

We are looking into something like this or else turn our mud room into an elevator- which is why it was built in the first place.

Just wondering if you have any comments about them pro or con. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 AM

342 posts, read 717,087 times
Many years ago my mom had a stroke - my parents lived in a colonial style house and my dad got one for my mom. She lost the use of one leg and one arm. Honestly, it was a lifesaver. It enabled her to be able to sleep in a real bedroom every night (when she first came home, they had converted the dining room to a bedroom for her, but it really lacked privacy).

I think it helped that she had a lot of therapy before she came home. My dad was also taught how to best handle moving her.

For them, it really was a good move. Luckily their staircase was wide enough that there was enough room for everyone to get up the stairs.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I have three stair lifts that I bought used and hope to put in my house, I need three more. Trouble is no one will help with a used lift unless you buy it from them. So I just hope we can adapt them and install them all right.
The do make a huge differenc for folks.
As to the elevator, they start at about 40K and since my house has four levels would be much much more. Upkeep is more also. and they are small depending on if you need two people and wheelchair there is not much room for them.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:57 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
O.K., I'll bite. What is a "mud room"?

Old 05-15-2014, 06:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Oh is a mud room not universal? In our house it is a small room about the size of a closet but with no door. it has a bench for taking shoes and boots off and on, pegs for backpacks and coats. Our neighbor's has lockers for each of 4 kids and a dry erase board for messages and bulletin boards for notices, flyers, etc.

In our case the house was originally designed to put an elevator in it because the folks who designed it wanted elevator for their elderly parents who would eventually move in. But they reneged on the contract when the house was 3/4 built.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Out here on the West Coast, it's usually the little room with the washer and dryer and a door to the back yard.

I can't believe you've never heard that term, ER!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Out here on the West Coast, it's usually the little room with the washer and dryer and a door to the back yard.

I can't believe you've never heard that term, ER!
Well, I'm seventy and never heard the term. What you described I have always known as the utility room or the laundry room.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Oh is a mud room not universal? In our house it is a small room about the size of a closet but with no door. it has a bench for taking shoes and boots off and on, pegs for backpacks and coats. Our neighbor's has lockers for each of 4 kids and a dry erase board for messages and bulletin boards for notices, flyers, etc.

In our case the house was originally designed to put an elevator in it because the folks who designed it wanted elevator for their elderly parents who would eventually move in. But they reneged on the contract when the house was 3/4 built.
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds very practical, but no, it is absolutely not universal. Where I grew up in a suburb of St. Louis, if we had muddy shoes or boots on we entered through the garage door and from there into the basement. In the Los Angeles area it is known by another name (see previous post). Out here it might be related to the fact that there is not very much inclement weather.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:48 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are looking into something like this or else turn our mud room into an elevator- which is why it was built in the first place.

Just wondering if you have any comments about them pro or con. Thank you.
My neighbor has a two story house. We looked into the stair climber when she had bursitis. I had the information sent to me. They sent a DVD and some information but have not been a nuisance since I told them that we weren't ready to make a decision. I appreciated that.

I would buy from the company, as someone said above. I wouldn't want to be on my own with a used one even if the price looked good, and the installation looks relatively simple. The one we looked at had a battery backup which I liked. There may be something similar for the elevator, but I don't like the idea of being in one when the electricity goes off.

and I wouldn't want to give up my mud room

Old 05-15-2014, 08:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
All my relative had them up north. There its a small room at entry to hang jackets and tkeke off boots/shoe covers but the main thing is it has door leading to outside and one then into house. Not heated and when you come in it keeps ole man winter from blowing inside the house. Also nice not to track up interior of house. In south it called entry porch and used to take off shoes and jackets etc. Quite common on older farms; ranch houses etc.Now days with attached garages less common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement