U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 03:15 PM

332 posts, read 428,986 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else used this method of applying for benefits? And if so how long did it take before you got a result when checking the status of your ap?

I applied about 7 days ago - not exactly a huge amount of time, but I have also submitted my retirement papers at my job. I need both the pension and the SS. I would absolutely hate withdrawing my retirement papers. As long as I know that SS is forthcoming I can deal with the wait. Intellectually, I know they can't deny my benefits, but that hasn't allayed my anxiety much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:12 PM

29,866 posts, read 34,929,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Has anyone else used this method of applying for benefits? And if so how long did it take before you got a result when checking the status of your ap?

I applied about 7 days ago - not exactly a huge amount of time, but I have also submitted my retirement papers at my job. I need both the pension and the SS. I would absolutely hate withdrawing my retirement papers. As long as I know that SS is forthcoming I can deal with the wait. Intellectually, I know they can't deny my benefits, but that hasn't allayed my anxiety much.
I did and it took awhile for online to be updated seems like it was within days of my getting written verification which was about two months after I applied and a month before my first check. I got a phone call within a day or two of applying.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Give it a week or two and call your local office for verification the process has started.when they called I was able to up the amount I was having with held.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I did and it took awhile for online to be updated seems like it was within days of my getting written verification which was about two months after I applied and a month before my first check. I got a phone call within a day or two of applying.
Phone call?

Another forum member sent me a message that SS has 60 days from date of application to post results and/or mail a verification.

I really should have done this sooner. Idjit.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,588,562 times
You can call ss, too.
It can take a month or more.
They are very busy with all the baby boomers retiring.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Phone call?

Another forum member sent me a message that SS has 60 days from date of application to post results and/or mail a verification.

I really should have done this sooner. Idjit.
Sounds right I got my notification about two months after applying.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,327,957 times
I applied online- also got a phone call the next week. Actual written verification of benefit amount came within a month.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I applied online- also got a phone call the next week. Actual written verification of benefit amount came within a month.
I applied in December shortly after the government shutdown ended so not sure what role that played. What type of benefit were you applying for? I didn't have to submit any documentation at all including marriage. May have already been on file when my wife applied. She had to talk to them also since I was taking spousal.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,066,874 times
Both wife and I made appointment three months before birthday. Took about 30 minutes and left with all information on date of first check and amount. I got mine on the date and she just got her first today as scheduled.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 PM

I did call and held on for almost an hour before I gave up.

I am not entitled to any spousal benefit, just straightforward individual benefit. I passed my 62nd birthday last October - even this short amount of time has increased my benefit from what I would have gotten on my b'day.

What I am hearing from all you folks is that I just gotta wait it out. But I think I will give the local a call in a couple weeks and see how that plays out.

Thanks for all the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement