U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:24 AM

22,592 posts, read 12,353,154 times

Advertisements

At the risk of sounding self-congratulating and boasting, I must confess that I have accomplished almost everything I set out to do with my life. As a youth I wanted a life full of adventure, world travel, meeting interesting people and even some celebrities, involvement in political causes dear to me, and to live in an old beautiful historic home.

There are still some places I would like to visit that I have not been to yet: the "Silk Road" countries like Uzbekistan and Khazakhstan; some eastern European countries like Romania and Bulgaria.

Would would be gratifying to me is to see my house completely restored, the slate roof shingles repaired, the kitchen redone. Renovating the old place has been a life-long project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:06 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Default What is the ONE thing you want to do before you die and why?

Live longer. Life is good. I rather enjoy it. I think a shelf-life of 85 years is just about right if accompanied by reasonable health.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,698,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Live longer. Life is good. I rather enjoy it. I think a shelf-life of 85 years is just about right if accompanied by reasonable health.
That's about how I feel too.

The ONE thing I really want to do though is go to Australia. Hopefully before I'm 85! I have a separate savings account just for that but if I don't start chunking more into it I'll be 90 before I can go! lol My mom is from there and I have a ton of family I'd love to meet...before they're all gone!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:44 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,584,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

The ONE thing I really want to do though is go to Australia. Hopefully before I'm 85! I have a separate savings account just for that but if I don't start chunking more into it I'll be 90 before I can go! lol My mom is from there and I have a ton of family I'd love to meet...before they're all gone!
Oh please go!

Old 06-04-2014, 01:01 PM

3,682 posts, read 4,943,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

No excuses! Get up and go!
I just did a quick search....tickets from phoenix to Sydney are 1900 bucks. Going July 1 to July 31. Assuming you have family there, your expense over there could be minimal.

Do some research on tickets (i'm sure you can find it even cheaper) and just go!

Cheers!!

DEPARTING
Phoenix, AZ (PHX)Tue Jul 01, 20144:55 pm
-- Connects in San Francisco, CA (SFO) -- 2h 34m layover
-- Connects in Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) -- 1h 35m layover
ARRIVING
Sydney, Australia (SYD)Thu Jul 03, 20148:30 am

Old 06-04-2014, 06:00 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,831,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Climb Mt Everest

Pizz on the ex wife's grave.
Your ex wife is buried on MT Everest?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Oh please go!
I'm sure planning on it. Not this year but probably next year.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
No excuses! Get up and go!
I just did a quick search....tickets from phoenix to Sydney are 1900 bucks. Going July 1 to July 31. Assuming you have family there, your expense over there could be minimal.

Do some research on tickets (i'm sure you can find it even cheaper) and just go!

Cheers!!

DEPARTING
Phoenix, AZ (PHX)Tue Jul 01, 20144:55 pm
-- Connects in San Francisco, CA (SFO) -- 2h 34m layover
-- Connects in Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) -- 1h 35m layover
ARRIVING
Sydney, Australia (SYD)Thu Jul 03, 20148:30 am
Sounds good...if I could do it in July! I'm taking vacation in Aug. this year and things are already planned. But, hopefully, next year for sure. My mom has only been home twice since 1947, when she came here as a War Bride. Her brothers and sisters are passing away and all THEIR 'kids' are my age so I need to get going! Yes, expenses will be minimal...for which I am grateful...and I'm looking forward to it. I might be able to talk one of my brothers into going with me.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,353,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Climb Mt Everest
I'm not a mountain climber but I saw the summit of Mount Everest in person and took pictures of it.

Here is how I did it: there is a small airline out of Kathmandu, Nepal, called ... get this! ... BUDDHA AIR. They run a flight in a small 12 or 14 passenger jet out of Kathmandu airport a few times a week and they fly to Mount Everest and nearly circle it a few times so the lucky few passengers can take pictures. It is a very safe brand new modern jet with Rolls Royce engines and American or British pilots. For over 30 years they have a perfect accident free record.

The flight is a little over an hour. It used to cost US$100. At the end of the flight you get a certificate. The flight includes refreshments and they pick you up at your hotel.

I have no regrets about taking that trip.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I hear you!
I decided no more dieting.
Didn't gain weight, but eating what I want made
Certain levels go UP. Ie cholesterol
Can't win.
Eat coconut milk ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or