Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,338 times

Advertisements

Buy a home. Reason: So I can stop having so much of my time be about researching/weighing pros and cons of various home possibilities! (I used to be a more interesting, useful person . . . or at least I felt like I was.)

I started looking into this a couple of years ago because prices were so low where I live (Florida). Now I'm not sure there's anything that really makes sense to buy (prices went up sharply last year, and a lot of the homes left in the lower prices ranges have potential deal-breaker issues). But I've gotten in the habit of looking/hoping to find something and can't let go.

It started out as a financial planning thing--the homes that were available then really were a smarter move financially than continuing to rent (as well as relative security--avoiding being forced to move in older age because the landlord no longer wants to rent out the property). Now I'm fairly sure I'd spend more $ over the rest of my lifetime as an owner than a renter, but I've just gotten attached to the idea of having a home base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM

781 posts, read 736,771 times
Sing heavy metal for a huge festival crowd that's really a good crowd, like Wacken maybe

or.....

maybe perform the role of Canio in a good production of the opera Pagliacci.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:00 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Learn how to play the violin. By all the deities that have ever been created by man, I WILL learn, and I WILL be good at it, no matter how much I have to practice. I've always had a "feeling" about the violin. I've only ever had this feeling about just one other thing, and that was the first time I held a camera in my hands. I realize that I will have some difficulties due to starting so late in life, but I don't care. I have excellent posture. I have very flexible and agile fingers. I have excellent pitch recognition. And most importantly, "the feeling". The first time I picked up a violin and bow, I KNEW I could learn to play. Don't ask me how. I just knew. Just like I knew I could be an excellent photographer when I picked up my first camera. I don't often indulge in signs, omens or superstitions, but this is different. I know. My future self already knows how to play the violin; all I have to do is make my way there.

You CAN do it !!!! I started piano when I was 35 years old and was told by my piano teacher that it is extremely difficult to learn to play an instrument, properly, classically, as an adult. And I tell you, it was the most difficult thing I've ever done. But...... after 5 years of practicing 1-2 hours a day, I made it up to intermediate classical !!!!! Heck, you probably played violin in another life ! Maybe the knowledge is in there somewhere. good luck !!

Old 05-15-2014, 05:33 PM

723 posts, read 868,659 times
I want to get a seriously deep understanding of physics. I'm nearing the end of my PhD and feel like there's still so much left for me to understand.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:42 PM

241 posts, read 272,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
My greatest fantasy is to hunt down and kill a large number of pedophiles, animal abusers, etc before I die.
There are a lot of things but these are hard to beat.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Want to do, as in fantasy, or want to do and could feasibly do, at this age in reality?

Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
I would like one more good vacation to London. Especially for the West End plays.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 PM

99 posts, read 128,777 times
Some of the responses concern me, I don't have vendettas on my bucket list. For me, I want to spend time in Rome. I'm not an overly religious person, but the history of the Roman Empire fascinates me. I've never had enough time to slow down and really enjoy the humanities. I'll have that time soon.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,423 times
Twins!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:57 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Want to do, as in fantasy, or want to do and could feasibly do, at this age in reality?
Just what I was wondering. But since the thread title can be interpreted either way, people can answer either way, and in most cases we can tell which they mean. I don't really think any poster is going to embark on a murder spree, for example!

I originally thought in terms of the feasible, and in that case there if nothing further I really want to "do", having already had various adventures such as flying airplanes, riding motorcycles in a variety of challenging conditions, and long-distance bicycling (Seattle to Los Angeles). I have a slightly bad back now which limits me in the "feasible" category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement