U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:07 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,700,420 times

Advertisements

Interesting comments on this one!

I would like to travel to New Zealand as it was my parents favorite place to vacation. I'll let someone else do the driving though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
Some of the responses concern me, I don't have vendettas on my bucket list. For me, I want to spend time in Rome. I'm not an overly religious person, but the history of the Roman Empire fascinates me. I've never had enough time to slow down and really enjoy the humanities. I'll have that time soon.
I also love the Eternal City because of the history. Last time there, I rented a bicycle and that was the absolutely best way I've found to get around the city. It really is quite compact, at least the historical core. Traffic is very respectful of cyclists.

Whatever you do, when you go, be sure to get out and about at night. Italy is two different places. During the daytime, it is tourist mecca. Near dusk, the tourists go to their hotels for dinner or shows, so the vendors who cater to the tourists pack up and go home to their families. Then a magical thing happens. The common folk come out and 'reclaim' their city. And Romans don't tear old stuff down so that they can build something else. Instead, the place floodlights to light the place up at night. Nighttime Rome is so fascinating and peaceful. If you don't get out at night, you've only seen half of Rome.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
I want to get a seriously deep understanding of physics. I'm nearing the end of my PhD and feel like there's still so much left for me to understand.
I hear ya! I stopped at the masters level and am looking so much forward to retirement in a couple more years. Now, I have that day-time mortgage-paying job and teach at the local community college in the evenings. After I retire, I'll also quit teaching and want to start taking classes for myself. Near the top of the list is physics . . . because that explains how stuff and the earth works. You're right! The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. Life is too short.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:42 PM

10,816 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I hear ya! I stopped at the masters level and am looking so much forward to retirement in a couple more years. Now, I have that day-time mortgage-paying job and teach at the local community college in the evenings. After I retire, I'll also quit teaching and want to start taking classes for myself. Near the top of the list is physics . . . because that explains how stuff and the earth works. You're right! The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. Life is too short.
I had hoped when I retired to go back and take some advanced math courses, with a concentration in physics or statistics. Love both and always wanted to dive headfirst into them. Since my master's is in library science, that seems a stretch but I took a lot of undergrad math courses.

When DH retired, I opted to travel with him instead. He sacrificed a lot of time with me throughout the years while I was working and going to school, so it seems only fair. But I'm looking into the free online OpenCourse and Coursera classes offered by MIT, Harvard, U Penn, etc.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 PM

3,364 posts, read 2,702,544 times
Live at the ocean's edge.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:49 PM

12,588 posts, read 15,054,657 times
Go on a date with Raquel Welch (when she was 40) or Kim Kardashian...

Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,984,394 times
RETIRE!... so I can dip into my bucket list!

Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Take a ride on Virgin Galactic and go into space.

Ain't gonna happen until they drop the price
Maybe you'll get a scholarship

Old 05-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Want to do, as in fantasy, or want to do and could feasibly do, at this age in reality?
Either your choice

Old 05-16-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Buy a home. Reason: So I can stop having so much of my time be about researching/weighing pros and cons of various home possibilities! (I used to be a more interesting, useful person . . . or at least I felt like I was.)

I started looking into this a couple of years ago because prices were so low where I live (Florida). Now I'm not sure there's anything that really makes sense to buy (prices went up sharply last year, and a lot of the homes left in the lower prices ranges have potential deal-breaker issues). But I've gotten in the habit of looking/hoping to find something and can't let go.

It started out as a financial planning thing--the homes that were available then really were a smarter move financially than continuing to rent (as well as relative security--avoiding being forced to move in older age because the landlord no longer wants to rent out the property). Now I'm fairly sure I'd spend more $ over the rest of my lifetime as an owner than a renter, but I've just gotten attached to the idea of having a home base.
Have you tried being vocal to everyone you meet about buying a house.
Also, and this works! Asking people in the neighborhoods you want if anyone is putting their
House up for sale, soon.
Friend did that the last housing boom and wound up with a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or